Interesting article out today which makes the argument that Brian Scalabrine is the worst NBA player getting regular minutes this season.

Over the course of the season, Scal is shooting 32 percent from the floor and 25 percent from three-point range. He has taken just four free throws all season and hasn’t scored more than three points in a game since November 7.  And  he’s rebounding like Eddie House; Scal is pulling down 2.4 rebounds per 36 minutes, easily a career low...

I know what you’re thinking: Scal’s game isn’t about numbers, it’s about helping the team by playing to his strengths and avoiding mistakes.

Here’s the thing, though: The Celtics have performed abysmally with Scal on the floor. His overall plus/minus for those 13 games is -36, and he has recorded a positive plus/minus number in (and this is fairly remarkable) just one of those games: The Dec. 12 blowout win at Chicago, when Scal was +11 in 16:22 of playing time.
Take away that game, and we’re talking about a -47 mark in 12 games (and just 152 minutes).
It really is amazing how poorly Scalabrine rebounds. He is simply not a rotation caliber player on an NBA team, let alone a contender. And the whole fans going crazy thing every time he catches the ball is embarrassing. Bird never got that. Pierce doesn't get that. It's like the autistic team manager who got in a high school game a couple years ago. Scal hates it, yet fans continue to do the Scalabrine chants and have orgasms every time he catches the ball. Add in the fact that Boston still has this rep of not being the best racial climate and here you have the one white player on the team, who sucks worse than anyone in the league, and he's treated like a god.

I have no problem with people rooting for Scal. He seems like a really good guy and everyone loves an underdog, but he's monumentally horrible. The fact that he gets minutes over Bill Walker makes no sense to me. Scal should only get minutes if three big men are injured. I see no other scenario. We aren't tanking anymore right?

JR 1/04/2010 03:38:00 PM Edit

How come I know Dillinger didn't write this lol??

Dillinger's gonna be super mad I know... and I'm a little bit scared about Karl's Mom as well.

3. Karl Dillinger says:

More ginger discrimination! It's okay it is just jealousy,haha. In all honesty I didn't know it was that bad and yes he shouldn't get regular minutes. He does play pretty smart basketball though and maybe there is a reason Bill Walker doesn't get minutes, though I'd love to see him play more.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now..

4. Marylou says:

As I see it his only redeeming quality is his red hair. Is that why the Celtics picked him for their team?

Yeah for all of Scalabrine's "high basketball IQ" fans, he has been playing pretty dumb this year lol.

If he really had that high of a basketball IQ, he'd refuse to check in when his name was called. ;)

Sorry Karl.

7. Karl Dillinger says:

He's still smarter than Tony Allen!

It's like rooting for myself.

If Scala were 22 and eligible to go to the DLeague they'd put him there.

Look on the bright side.....he's better than Sweetney

eja

9. Three Toe says:

Hey JR, the jerk store called, and they're running out of YOU!

Maybe Scal will read this and up his game to never-before-seen levels.

By never before seen levels, you're talking like 5 pts and 4 rebounds right? ;)

11. ThomasJ says:

I've been saying it all year he's not a regular rotation guy. Hate to say it but somebody has to - we all know why the crowd cheers - token white guy!

I'll take my twg in the form of a player we need. Every time I watch the Magic play I wish we would have made an offer to Jason Williams. I think he would be a good back up to Rondo. (He is the most effective pg the Magic have.) Or find a way to get Ridnour from Milwaukee.

The reason everyone loves him is because he IS so bad, he's loved as much as Walta once was

Scals is the very essence of the celtic spirit. White, red hair hes not necessarily the star athlete but he is a moral support to the team who embodies everything it is to be a Boston Irishmen which is what the team is to the very core. I love Paul, Ray, and KG but Scals is my boy. Also when Larry hurt his back in 1992 he left a game and came back to the cheer of larry being chanted across the garden so you my friend are wrong. F*ck you and you Scal hating Sons of B*tches.

While I like Scal and his contributions to this team (however bad his stats may indicate) I think that his time in Boston (and in the league) is soon to end. I bet he will be in the coaching staff next season.

15. ThomasJ says:

Wow. So according to some the essence of Celtic spirit is a white guy with red hair who isn't really a good athlete? So if Bird looked like Dominique with his athleticism you wouldn't have admired him as much even if he had Larry's skills? I guess Russell doesn't rep the 'Celtic Spirit' then? WTF? I thought the core of Celtic spirit was great basketball. I'm white, not Irish, and I've never needed to have a single guy on the team who looks like me to enjoy basketball, as a fan or a player.

CelticsLife: Where 17 comments happen on Brian Scalabrine, shattering the old high mark.

Someone please tell the Anonymous Racist that Scalabrine isn't even Irish. I wonder if he knows Red wasn't either and that he was Jewish. Oh no! (rolls eyes).

Most Boston fans aren't prejudiced, but it's the small minority of fans like this douche bag that continue to give Boston a bad rep.

Wait what? Scalabrine's Jewish? LMAO...

19. George, Lawrence, Ma says:

hahah that "racist" guy is awesome. While I don't really know what he was talking about with the Celtic Spirit and being white with red hair, I still love Scals. We're already an unbelievable team and its great to have a team mascot actually on the team. So yea "F*ck you Scal haters."

If the Celts could get James Posey from New Orleans for Scalabrine, Tony Allen and Giddens/Walker you Scal lovers wouldn't do that in a heartbeat?

If not, you're all retarded because it would make this basketball team all the better and just about guarantee a title.

And yes Posey is black, whatever I want another championship, to see the Flakers lose and I want to buy new championship t-shirts and Posey would help towards that much more than Scal.