More than anyone else, I've killed the signing of Brian Scalabrine.  When he inked that deal back in 2004 for 15 million, I couldn't believe it.  He was the epitome of a 12th man.  I thought he was the worst player in the NBA and really had no idea how he was still in the league.

Well with this past summer of signing the players the Celts have signed, it's come to my attention that he is arguably Boston's best perimeter defender of big guys with mobility.  Guys like Rashard Lewis and Al Harrington.  Lamar Odom's another one.  Sure KG can lock them down when he has to for maybe the final 4 or 5 minutes of a game.  But he can't do it for the duration of his entire time on the floor.  Frankly I don't think he'll ever be able to do that again for extended minutes.

Who else does Boston have to do this?  Rasheed, Perk, Shelden and Glen Davis are just not mobile enough.  When they had Posey, he was able to step in and do it.  Sure he was a tad undersized at about 6'8 but he has long arms and was certainly capable (remember how well he played against Dirk?).  Marquis isn't big enough to do it.  Can Andres Nocioni?  Perhaps and he probably even does it better than Scal.  Acquiring him is beginning to seem more appealing to me, especially if Scalabrine can be bought out and return.  By trading Giddens (or Walker) Tony Allen and Scalabrine, you'd also open one more roster spot (possibly for Tyrone Lue?).  I know Andres' contract is brutal but let's face it: the C's are in the gotta win this year mode.

Back to the article at hand, Scalabrine in my mind is a really important part to this team for that specific reason.  There's plenty of big mobile guys in the league who can shoot the perimeter shot.  Lewis and Odom are two in particular who play for two other teams really competing for the title this year.  Get Nocioni or another big guy who can move his feet outside the paint.  Or make sure Scal sticks around.  I never thought I'd say this but the C's need him.

tb727 11/22/2009 10:50:00 PM Edit

1. Karl Dillinger says:

Always love to see my red headed brother getting props. He also plays smart and can hit the three. Wish we could combine his smarts with Rasheed's talent.

2. John says:

Hi guys!

As a fan of Argentina, I've been following most of our players in the NBA very closely. This news about Andres NOCIONI really got me excited as I felt him being traded to the Kings was unfair on his part as he deserves to play for a Championship pedigree team.

Not that I'm very sure just far this trade is true, perhaps you being a Celtic fan would like explain more about this. I would love your thoughts about this interesting trade.

Hey John. Welcome to CelticsLife. Hope you become a consistent poster. My mother actually grew up in Buenos Aires, so greetings to Argentina. I'd love Nocioni on the Celtics, but the rumor is the Celtics are weary of adding the additional payroll right now. These things can change though. An injury or continued inconsistent play might cause Wyc to loosen the purse strings. I think Boston fans would quickly love Andres if he became a Celtic.

4. ThomasJ says:

I hate to raise this topic, but I have wonder if Nocioni would be getting all this love if he was dark skinned with the same skill set. The fact that Scal has a skin tone close to my own has absolutely nothing to do with me liking him on the team. Nocioni hasn't ever really impressed me in the NBA and is vastly overpaid. I've seen him playing recently since being banished to Sac and don't see what he offers the C's besides a servicable white guy.

ThomasJ I think he would- he's Argentinian anyway. I've liked Nocioni's game. I think it's somewhat comparable to James Posey.

I just want a big guy who can move his feet on the perimeter. I haven't seen Nocioni play since he left Chicago but I always felt he could do that.

Sure I'd love someone more like Luol Deng but that's not an option. Nocioni has been rumored to be available...

6. ThomasJ says:

tb I new he was Argentinian, my point is he still a 'white guy' like manu or dirk who some people are more comfortable with. His contract is bigger than the one Boston wouldn't match for Posey. We should be able to find a decent back up pg for that kind of $

A couple advantages of Nocioni over Posey are one that Nocioni's last yr is a team option, so he only has two yrs left and two Nocioni is still rlatively young whereas watching Posey it seems that age has caught up with him some. I have no idea why we didn't sign a back-up pg in the Summer. There were several capable ones to be had for the minimum. Tyronn Lue is not the answer either. Come last yr's NBA Finals he was Orlando's 4th string pg. I wonder if Antonio Daniels has anything left in the tank...

Thomas J- I gotcha, and I can't help but think that might still be an issue with people, you're right.

The 3 for 1 deal would technically open up 2 roster spots, one of which could be for a backup point guard.

And I do think Lue will be the guy JR. Even if he couldn't beat out 55 year old Anthony Johnson last season lol

id like an article on white bball fans having bias towards white ballers, out of this article i think thats a powerful point. do you think its considered racist just to root for someone cause hes just a white player? i look at it as just rooting for the minority...that wrong?

oh and TB forgot to add and still on the racist theme, i think Dill is the only one allowed to do stories on scal44. we all know why. they read from a different book if you know what i mean haha just messing with you dill, but i for sure thought this was your piece