NBA.com

A source briefed on discussions Friday evening said that the Boston Celtics are close to a deal with free agent power forward David West, who has been with the New Orleans Hornets since being drafted in 2003.
West, 31, was expected to be one of the top free agents in this year's class, but he is coming off of a torn ACL suffered late last season in a game against Utah. West has diligently rehabbed his injury in North Carolina last summer, but teams have been slow to make significant offers to him.
A two-time All-Star, West has averaged 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in his eight NBA seasons. If healthy, West would be a boon whether starting or coming off the bench for the Celtics.

Rumor: Sign-and-trade for a 3-year, $27-29M deal. Who's gone? Ray? J.O? Green?

Yahoo's Wojo reporting JO is being traded.
David West has desperately wanted to play for a winner, and will take less money to do so in Boston.
Update 2:50 AM
Boston Herald
Ainge, known for his blockbuster moves, nearly pulled off another one last night when he reportedly came close to signing pricey free agent David West. It was unclear whether he attempted to use restricted free agent Jeff Green in a sign-and-trade to make the deal for West possible.

“They’re out of that race, but they did try,” said a league source.
Boston Herald is the only place reporting deal is dead. They usually don't know shit, so take this with a grain of salt until confirmed by more sources.

Update 3:05 AM
Yahoo Sports Wojo and Spears
Free-agent forward David West is nearing an agreement to join the Boston Celtics on a three-year deal that will pay him between $27 million and $29 million, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Celtics are working to complete a sign-and-trade deal with the New Orleans Hornets, and are expected to include center Jermaine O’Neal and guard Sasha Pavlovic. The Hornets are believed to have a third team willing to take O’Neal, the veteran center.

JR 12/09/2011 10:51:00 PM Edit

GREAT WORK DANNY! Especially if he convinced him to take the mid level!

If we can get him, I'd be thrilled. Our low post will be so much better than last year (if all stay healthy knock on wood). Not to mention the offense we've piled up with these players. I'm pretty thrilled with the moves so far and have to say, signing West would be icing on the Cake for me! �������� Go Celtics!

yess!! thats what im talkingg about!!

4. ryanm1405 says:

DANNNY OMG I FUCKINN LOVEEEE YOUUUU!!!!!! GREATTT WORKKKK!!!!!

finally Danny doing something good!

This is a great move, but my only concern is where does he fit on the roster? I find it hard to believe a player like west would take being a reserve for a long period of time well, and theres no way kg comes off the bench. Undersized starting center?

7. wesley says:

guys its a sign and trade with jermaine oneal

8. the mcrib was back says:

I am thrilled with danny ainge.

9. So Danny ships out Perk because he tore his ACL and signs David West fresh off an ACL tear. It will all depend on whether he is healthy and can regain his explosiveness.

10. rico says:

JO with messed up knees for david west at 80% is still a great trade

11. jay says:

Where is the defense west isn't providing it and garnett needs a team defender with JO gone who is it gonna be?

Who will play center and don't tell me Greg Stiemsma?

13. Nick says:

I like this trade, although concerned about starting lineup and bench situation

I guess we are throwing defense out the door this year.

wilcox anyone he's a solid center and the bench with green, dooling, quis, bass, moore, johnson, bradley yea the bench will be ok need another guard delonte perhaps

16. jay says:

Anyone know who the other player being thrown in is going to be? I have a feeling it is either Bradley or perhaps Moore with his guaranteed contract

Bring RIP HAMILTON to the Garden!!!!!

18. Jay says:

I really hope they dont trade Jeff Green, Avery Bradley or Etwaun Moore..or i will be very pissed.

JO it says it at the top

Avery Bradley is the other player.

21. Jay says:

A source close to #Celtics J. O'Neal said if he's traded to the #Hornets, he will ask to be waived, and will look to sign with the #Heat.

Iffy about this. I mean I love having another all-star but we needed a center. Small ball it is I guess. I think we should have gone after Kaman.

23. Jay says:

Thats alot of money...I hope they have worked him out, coming off ACL..very risky

24. yurmom says:

Finalllyy Danny Ainge makes the right choicee. CELTICS 4 LIFE

25. Jay says:

If we trade JO we really will have no center...I hope he has something planned for that

danny has signed two centers already jeez

Great move to bring West to Boston..... but the REAL steal would be to flip West and both 2012 1st round picks to Orlando for Dwight Howard - NOW WE'RE TALKING!!

Why is Ray's name always brought into these scenarios? I wouldn't trade Ray for 5 David Wests.

29. WShaw says:

Center would be an issue but if Ainge can get away with this he has to do it. KG has played center in his younger days of course but maybe another move is coming...Aaron Gray?

now everybody gonna kiss DA ass!!!

31. Jay says:

^ it happens will Boston fans we hate Danny then he pulls it off. We have wilcox who plays the 5 and Bass is best as a stretch 5 believe it or not one more big body and we put it all together west could come off the best in the shortened season and get starter minutes to help kg. Any way JO pulls a Big Z and gets waive just to come back?

32. ben says:

Why is everyone so obsessed with who the center will be???? KG obviously. West has more range and can spread the floor more. I see Bass coming in for KG. Green coming in for PP.

Hopefully we get Delonte or RIP to spell RayRay.

We're keeping the cap/slot clear for D12 in 2012. How enticing would it be for D12 to join a Celtics team with Rondo/West/Green and PP/KG/RAYRAY???

I find it hard to believe Ainge is done.

Two starting power forwards AND a competent backup, but no center?

Bass is 6'8". Please no one talk about starting him in the middle.

34. Anonymous we signed two centers -_- Stiemsma and Wilcox

35. DBigBadWolf says:

David West come on D.A i mean he was good before the injury, now he's slaw.. Doc should be in his ear telling him 2 part with anyone who isnt D Big 4 and get SuperMan out of Orlando. Starting lineup (Howard-C, K.G-PF, Pierce-SF, Allen-SG, Rondo-PG) BAWWLLIN

WHO??????? WHO R They

37. They're not well known but look em up, they're both big and all around average centers, that will do the job!

Danny Ainge secretly doing his AP homework...very impressive.

39. @DBigBadWolf:

how do you know what West looks like after the injury? Guy hasn't even played yet.

Plus, how do you know he's not setting it up for that. Bass is a potentially one year deal, Green on a one year deal, KG on a one year deal, Ray Allen on a one year deal.... you see what i'm saying. There will be cap space this year.

40. CEsar says:

before you jumo into any conclusion and start celebrating David West is sick but we dont know how healthy he is, and another factor WHAT YOU should be looking at is why are we looking into West, he did played for NOLA, and Chris Paul is still there, they did played together and were fond of each other. SO IF ANYTHING I be worry of what exactly is going through Danny Ainges Mind Stop celebrating for a moment and actually think

^^^^ yea too bad the laker and cp3 talks have resumed

DANNY still crazy always getting players the are ready to retire west 31 how many seasons he got left? Why not go after real young talent am going to tell you why cause he dont have real money to pay young talent the can hold the frenchaise and be able to build around them. That means he is smoking all the profit and now he has to look for players the wants to play for less money, the best move he ever made was getting RAY ALLEN, KG. and that was cause at the time he was not smoking if he really wants another ring he is gonna have to think big and outside the box

43. That article isn't from 2:50, it was last updated around 12:50, ESPN Boston has since reported that it's still alive.

Soooo.... Does Stern block it?

Also : now you Leprechaun-fudgers love Ainge? How quickly things change...

46. Rookie of the Year says:

Dear Coco, If you can read this I'm really really sorry about my rude comments toward a Celtics Fan on the shout box, So im asking if you can un-ban me. I swear as god is my witness, I will never make fun of someone again. ALL I'm Asking for is for you too please un-ban me.

47. Jay says: