Not retaining TA in the Summer was another boneheaded move by Danny. I know others are going to go with the company spin and say that TA chose to leave, but I believe Allen's story that the Celtics didn't try hard enough to retain him. Obviously if we had kept TA, there wouldn't have been the need to trade our starting center for a backup for Pierce as well. Very cool that Tony still says, "I'm a Celtic." He's a winner and not surprisingly the Grizzlies started winning more games when he received a larger role. Good luck TA. We miss you in Boston.

JR 3/24/2011 12:31:00 AM Edit

1. .chuckT. says:

No love lost.
    TA wants to come back, and i hope he does in some way..lol
    'Unfortunately im wearing a Grizzlies jersey'

Yeah that's an awesome line. I'm sure Grizzlies fans would love that. lol.

Imagine Jeff Green saying, "I'm a Thunder. Unfortunately I'm wearing a Celtics jersey." He'd get killed by the Boston media.

3. .chuckT. says:

haha! im sayin.
    Or LeBron saying 'Im a Cavalier, unfortunately im in a Heat jersey'
    hahahhahaa!!

4. ThomasJ says:

Respect to TA and Leon

Watching TA play basketball is such a fun. His movement is really fluent. The way he runs and jumps and such reminds me of young Bean.

pretty disrespectful to the Grizzlies if ya ask me. do you really want to be playing with a guy that doesn't even feel like it's his team?

mad pumped to see him doing well in memphis

8. ThomasJ says:

Definitely agree JR, Danny should have made the same effort to keep a good bench guy who wants to stay that the Fakers did for the less valuable Shannon Brown

9. ThomasJ says:

My bad on the Brown comparison, he took a 1-year with a player option paying the lesser value that he merits. My point was I agree with your logic of keeping him and the role he filled.

10. Three Toe says:

my opinion of TA is well-documented. Bring him back hahaha!

11. Louis Q. says:

I hope he comes back someday ...

12. glitterchick says:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it was a boneheaded move by our fearless leader. Add Leon and Kendrick to the list too. Ainge is about money-not the team. He's paying Shaq and Jermaine to vacation while letting go guys like them who are beloved by the fans for their heart and hard work. Way to run a team Danny.

13. Michael says:

These criticisms of Ainge don't make much sense. Ainge is the one who built up the chips to get Ray and KG while keeping Pierce and Rondo. The Celtics had been going nowhere for years before Ainge and now we have #17 and have been strongly in the hunt every year since. Ainge also stuck with Doc when the fans were booing him during the years before the Big 3, instead of making Doc a scapegoat and starting over. We don't know how much it would have taken to keep TA and if he would have been worth it. It was great to see him playing so well last night, though I wish it hadn't been against us. For the Celtics, TA had some terrific defensive outings, but mostly his offense was remarkably out of control for an NBA player. He had some good moves to the basket when he stayed under 3 dribbles, but anything over that used to mean turnover. It was great to see him looking under control and disciplined last night and I hope he keeps that up for Memphis.

14. ThomasJ says:

Michael, my criticism of Ainge isn't focused on letting TA go - I feel totally cheated as a fan because of the Perkins trade. He didn't get enough back to justify breaking up the team that won it in '08 and could have three-peated without injuries. I say make a run with the core 5 this season whether Perk resigns after or not. Winning banner 18 this season would not be because of Danny's moves, it would be DESPITE the moves - great effort from the remaining guys to overcome. We have lost much of our clear edge, toughness, that set this team apart as a unit.

And for the lame pick ups to fill the roster, better than Harangody and Semih? Really? You think Arroyo sees key minutes in the playoffs?

TA was valuable as JR states in the article but the main point I am standing by is keep that core line up together until they lose a playoff series