My back, no my
hamstring, no my wrist,
 no my other wrist
Boston Herald
“Yeah, there is (concern),” Rivers said before the game. “(O’Neal) hasn’t been able to get on the floor, obviously. It’s not going to happen tonight and maybe not for the first couple of practices, so there is some concern about opening night and what he can do for us.

“JO and I were just talking, and it was, after the first day of training camp, you’re never healthy again. You have to get something. But how much can you function? It’s what you’re going through the rest of the year.”
There are some guys that play and others that get injured all the damn time. One thing that made Michael Jordan great was that he simply played. A hurt wrist or the flu didn't sideline him. On the other hand Chris Webber was a great player, but would miss a ton of games. When evaluating players too often people look at stats, but rarely do they look at games played... and they need to. Marquis Daniels if he didn't get injured all the time would be a fantastic 7th man. But he's going to get injured. He always does. Same with Jermaine O'Neal. Here's more from the Herald:
From his left hamstring to his left wrist and now to his back, it’s been difficult to keep track of every injury that has nagged Jermaine O’Neal during training camp.

The difficult part about the center’s plight now, according to Rivers, is that more down time may call into question just how much O’Neal can contribute once the Celtics open their season.

Look sometimes guys get seriously injured, but there are also a group of soft ass players in the NBA (actually all sports.. cough JD Drew). There are guys I wait to see make plays and guys I wait to see get injured. Like when Marquis ran into Reggie Evans the other night. I knew he would miss a game.

For the record, Larry Bird couldn't stand Jermaine O'Neal and I take him as a great judge of work ethic and heart. O'Neal is very well spoken in interviews, but that's just talk. Man up and suit up and play. You get paid big money. You can deal with some pain. I'm sure if Kendrick Perkins had your minor injuries, he'd be out there. This isn't the Heat, Raptors, or Pacers you're on anymore. This is the Celtics. We're going for #18, so please sack up asap. Thanks.

JR 10/21/2010 04:03:00 PM Edit

Give the guy some breathing space. My guess is he's going to toughen up a bit in the season.

2. Pervis says:

Can't stand guys that are always injured.

This guy's been a joke so far and he'll continue to be a joke. Says the right thing and proceeds to do nothing, for the past 4 years.

Keep Sheed on speed dial Danny

totally agree with Pervis

If you have more jokes that can average the rebounding totals Jermaine did in the preseason, I'd love to hear these!

I didn't get your last comment Jenda. That's the thing with guys like Webber or JO. There "averages" are always good. I'd take a guy who averages 9 rebounds over 82 games played over a guy who gives you 12 over 55 games for example. Seems like Doc is frustrated or "disappointed" to use his word so far with JO, just like Larry got disenchanted with him.

Sure, sure, but give me three or four of these "jokes" as the anonymous dubbed him and you have the position insured enough. Anyway, I really believe he's gonna shake the injuries off and remember he got to Boston to win the ring. I don't say I'm somewhat impressed with his slacking in the preseason but he can redeem himself if he can man up in the regular season.
    And yet another thing is that Jermaine can actually do Perk some good with his aches and pains. Danny has a prime example how much it sucks to have player who is sore all the time and how rare a guy like Perkins who plays through injuries is.

I agree with Jenda here. It's way to early to judge on Jermaine yet. Let's wait some time to label him. We don't have enough information either.We know he is hurt, and let's give him the benefit of the doubt. And if Doc happens to be disappointed so early maybe he should have thought about it before giving him the MLE...that's why I find it hard to believe that anyone is unhappy with his work ethic. I just think they are tired of his lack of fortune with injuries that hasn't allowed him to get into any rhythm.

Let's give a chance to JO, he's a Celtic now

I think it's possible that JR wrote this to be controversial, since TB and Karl haven't been writing much lately. Have to mix some hot topics in there sometimes as well. I also think JR is a douche for talking in the 3rd person.

Let's all agree on giving JR the benefit of doubt.
    And yes, Larry Bird is questioning the work ethics of tb and Karl.

I for one am excited for this weekend. I hear that Bohemian updating his columnist page was a precursor to an upcoming amazing column. :)

Yes Jenda, I did see that interview with Larry. I believe Norman posted it on youtube.

with multiple f-bombs coming the way of every celticslife follower.

13. O'Neal sucks and so does this blog

hehe You read my mind, JR :) Something is brewing in my mind :P

Never liked JO as an opposing player, but I was ready to embrace him as a Celtic. Then training camp came and I'm reminded why I hate him: he's SOFT and injury prone. He came into camp like he ended last season--injured. And he is seemingly out-of-shape, probably carrying 20-30 lbs more than he should at this point of his career.

The irony of the JO story is that very early in preseason we were treated to 'his' story of how he played 2 years on a torn meniscus, and how gutting it out that long adversely affected the perception of him as a player. What BS. He's neither a tough guy, or misunderstood. He's just lazy and afraid of hard work and physical play. The sooner this guy leaves the team, the better. He's not Celtic material.

16. Karl says:

Professional athlets are not like real humans, they should play through injuries. With that being said, don't rush him back as we don't really need him to play that many minutes to win.

Also, I'm still waiting for the Norman Dale-TB cage match. I'd pay a lot of money to see that.

like i said before bring back rasheed he is never injured i`ve watched him play 4 13 years and i think 95% of the time he was available.i really hope he will be back soon.