I'm very sad to see that the Celtics cut Tony Gaffney.  I was really pulling for this kid.  I love his attitude and his work ethic.  To me he seemed to be just what the Celtics needed behind Paul Pierce and Marquis Daniels.   I guess Danny has decided to go with offense rather than defense at that position unless he has a trade in mind to back up the SF spot.  That leaves two non guaranteed players, Stephane Lasme and Mario West,  still with the team.

As he has been throughout his time with the Celtic, Tony was a class act leaving.  Here is what he posted on his Facebook page:

"All good things must come to an end. It was a great time being w the
celtics, it ended today. I appreciate all the love n support. You guys
are the best. My agent is back to the drawing board and stirring up
something. So when the next move is finalized you all will know. Thanks
again everyone."
I'm hoping that if another team doesn't grab him, the Red Claws will bring him in and there may be a chance he could be back with the Celtics at a later time.   Best of luck, Tony!

FLCeltsFan 10/02/2010 02:15:00 PM Edit

I am surprised by this, I expected that they let him get some preseason minutes at least. Best of luck, Gaffney!

No idea why he couldn't stick around for a few preseason games. I was excited to see him play. I also thought that there was a possibility that they keep Wafer for the first 10 games, store Gaffney in Maine and then when Delonte returns from suspension swap Wafer for Gaffney. But since they cut him now, I seriously doubt he's in their future plans. With that said I did think that Wafer was a better fit for a team going for a title. He's younger than Gaffney yet has solid NBA experience. I think people will warm up to him. I also believe with 4 spots going to the two rookies, a project in Erden, and an injured Perk, you need the other 11 spots to be for NBA ready now guys.

So that Black Sheep LASM and West are still in play? I'm surprised they will last longer than Gaffney. I literally thought it'd come down to Wafer and Gafney and LASM and West would be gone. I do wish he could've played some preseason games.

4. Bailey says:

Really TB? I think West will absolutely be on the opening night roster and contribute immediately. I also read a Doc quote somewhere (maybe ESPN Boston?) about releasing Gaffney early to give him a chance to catch on with another franchise before the season.

Sorry Bailey I meant Mario West not Delonte West, would be cut.

Yes Delonte's the 3rd guard for the season no doubt. He'll have to serve that 10 game suspension to start the year, so Wafer should get extended time during that stretch.

6. Bailey, He's talking about Mario West. Not Delonte West.

Noone in their right mind can "right now" say that he is absolutely sure that Mario West will be there on opening night and will contribute immediately.
    He's a long shot at best. Albeit, he is surprising a lot of people, because most of us did think Gaffney would be standing longer than he.
    Oh, well...it's all about what's best for the team atr this point. And maybe Gaffney's offensive shortcomings made him more expendable rght now.
    Yet, I'm still curious to know just what is Mr.West doing which has made him that much more valuable. They say he's supposed to be some sort of defensive specialist (very good), and also Doc says that he can play both the 3-spot and the 4-spot (also very good). He's the 2007 State Farm collegiate slam dunk champion, played a little with the Atlanta Hawks last year after playing with the Maine Red Claws in D-league. He's a tough as nails Ga Tech walk-on (where he ultimately became team captain) and he's 6'5, 210 lbs., right in the Tony Allen mode (size wise).
    Yet, and still...I really don't see him beating out Wafer for that last spot. Although, most of us thought that it would come down to Wafer and Gaffney...thus, so much for our thoughts. Anything is possible. Doc & Danny are gonna do what's best for the team though...regardless to what anyone thinks.

I thought it was Kanye West. ;)

Wayne I think Doc was talking about Stephane Lasme when he said he could play both 3 and 4. West would be an undersized SF, not to mention he'd be totally lost at PF.

I would cut Kanye West all the time, 100%. He's a dick.