According to NBA.com's David Aldridge, Celtics' Rasheed Wallace will now officially retire. This shouldn't come as a shock to most - Doc Rivers revealed that 'Sheed told him as much before Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

Wallace played in the NBA for 15 seasons - winning a championship with the Pistons in 2004 and nearly one this year with the Celtics. After turning in one lame performance after another during the regular season, 'Sheed wasn't very popular in Boston for most of 2010. Yet, now it seems he was saving his energy with hopes set towards one final push for a ring.

Months ago, Boston fans would've been overjoyed to hear that they wouldn't have to endure his airballs next season. However, Sheed's leaving actually hurts Boston. With their starter, Kendrick Perkins, sidelined for the beginning of the season; Wallace's absence now leaves Boston dangerously thin at Center.

Sheed signed a three year contract worth 18.5 million with the Celtics and gave up 12 million by retiring.

Mike Saver 6/24/2010 08:03:00 PM Edit

he didnt retire yet that decision hasnt been finalized. if doc comes back he might too whether or not that is a good thing i do not know.

2. Conquistador says:

I hope he comes back, but you probably knew that. His personality is perfect, though I do admit I wish he'd try a bit harder during the regular season. To me, he is just plain old fun to watch, which is why we watch sports right?

3. Karl says:

Sheed came through in the playoffs and we wouldn't have gotten to the Finals without him. For that I will always respect him. Good luck Sheed!

Sad day, he will be missed

I hope he reconsiders his decision or simply returns by February à la PJ Brown. I really like Sheed

Love Sheed!!! Hopes he come back

7. RoswellSounds says:

Until Wallace himself says anything, we shouldn´t care about any media comments out there.

Like somebody said before, Sheed is so funny to watch! Gotta love the way he behaves in front of 20.000 people. He simply doesn´t care!

I think we´ll see Wallace back in a few months. If he can put some energy during the season, it would be fantastic. If not... let´s see him in the playoffs. I don´t care...

Has he really retired? We are still hearing about Doc's words before game 7 and his agent but he hasn't still confirmed.

What if this week...

-Doc confirms he's coming back
    -Paul gets an extension or just doesn't opt out

Maybe he will reconsider playing for a final season with the current core of players, plus we would again have an important role as Perk recovers from his severe injury.

Anything is still possible my friends! Come back Sheed!