Chicago Sun Times

A viable rumor making the rounds Wednesday had the Bulls and Celtics possibly making a deal with Kirk Hinrich and Ray Allen as the principals.
The Celtics would move Allen -- who is making $19.8 million in the final year of his contract -- if they can acquire a player who can crack their rotation this season and someone they'd be interested in keeping around for the next couple of years.
Hinrich would appear to meet those requirements, but the Bulls might have to sweeten the deal by adding forward Tyrus Thomas, who despite his obvious issues would help Boston's frontcourt depth.
A package of Hinrich, Thomas and the expiring contract of Jerome James for Allen and another player would work under the salary cap.
I think there's starting to be a lot of smoke to this deal. The Tyrus and James stuff is more speculation stuff by the writer, but count me as a fan of Tyrus Thomas on the Celtics. He would add an athletic forward to our team, something we sorely need and he crashes the offensive glass, which is another major need (especially since Powe's departure). I can imagine him thriving in the open floor with Rondo and throwing down a couple "oops" from Rajon's "alley's" a game. Hinrich could step in for Ray at the starting shooting guard position, and additionally run the point when Rondo rests. I've always been a fan of Hinrich's game and defense. Everyone loves Ray, but this trade would most likely improve our chances this year and give us a boost in the coming years.

(Shout out to Bohemian who's been all over the Hinrich rumors.)

JR 2/04/2010 11:08:00 AM Edit

1. Green says:

I work for one of the the Chicago teams. Not the Bulls. I can tell you that the Bulls did offer Kirk, Tyrus, and Salmons to the Celtics for Ray and Eddie House. Funny thing is Forman and Ainge didn't even talk to each other. One of Ainge's assistants passed the word that the Celtics were not interested "at this time" but that things could change.

Well that's certainly interesting if true. No offense Green, but can't be 100% sure if something is legit without a source. Thanks for posting though. It definitely gives us something to talk about. lol. Especially Bohemian. Ha. Want to tell us what team you work for or how you know this offer is fact? Again not saying you're not legit. Just curious...

Regarding the offer, I understand the Bulls reasoning. Losing Hinrich's and Salmons's contacts for next year totally would put them in position to add Wade and Bosh. A Rose, Wade, Deng, Bosh, Noah starting 5 would be sick. Interesting that they wanted Eddie. Hadn't heard his name before, but since they would be losing three rotation players I guess they'd need something more. If the Celtics had Hinrich to start at sg and back up the point, with Quis, Tony, and Salmons on the bench, I could see House not having a role anymore.

I think we'd be adding a lot, but not sure if Wyc would be willing to add that payroll for next year.

Don't trade Ray!!!!!

Eddie? Really? Green who's your source?

Well Tony Allen would love John Salmons and Mashed Potatoes

Well TB, I'll be curious to see if he/she responds back. It at least works on the ESPN trade machine. I'm trying to decide if I prefer Salmons or the expiring contract of James. Probably Salmons b/c we could always trade him as an expiring contract in the Summer. I don't think Wyc signs off on this deal. I really like Tyrus's potential on this team though. I think he'd respect and listen to KG more than Brad Miller.

Hey! Told you this rumor must have legs :) (by the way, I wish I had any of those "sources" :P)

I would do the trade that Green comments here, wouldn't you?

Rumours!!!!!!!!!!!!! love them! :)

lol Bohemian. I love rumors too. I've been thinking about this rumor since it was posted and i must say I think Ainge should go for it. We'd be pretty stacked. I'm guessing there will be a lot of rumors coming out prior to the deadline and like you said then even after that with buyouts and the deadline for playoff eligibility.

Hinrich would solve some problems at the PG, plus he can play SG too. Thomas is long and athletic, just what we need. Could we get Salmons too?

11. Green says:

No offense taken. Enjoy your blog. The Bulls want House because they want to have all the cap space, but also don't want to be seen as giving up on this season. Ray and Eddie make up for the loss of Kirk and John. Bulls feel they have a great chance at getting two of Johnson, Wade, and Bosh. I prefer not to give too much information about my job. Not trying to get anyone in trouble. Or worse myself in trouble. I should know a little more tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks for getting back to us Green. No worries. Not trying to get you fired from the Blackhawks or White Sox??? My guesses. Feel free to email me if I'm right, jr@celticslife.com or if you have more information you prefer not to write here.

But please continue to write. Bohemian and I eat this stuff up!

Playing with the trade machine. I would do this

JR, i really love Celticslife! :)

Green, please give us some more info if you have some updates ;)

15. ThomasJ says:

I would see Hinrich as a back up pg. I wouldn't want to see him as a starting sg.

I'd say no to the deal if it meant exchanging Eddie and Salmons. Hopefully Wyc wouldn't take on the salaries of Hinrich and Salmons even though Tyrus could be useful.

Being on the hook for 5.8 for Salmons and 6.3 for Tyrus along with 9 for Hinrich next season is alot to ask.

No offense Green but I'm not buying it.

By the way JR, props for that Hinrich pic with the St Patrick's hat...it really suits the rumor! :D

Hinrich's stats really suck this year. I'd like Kirk as the 3rd guard, behind Rajon and Ray. I'd include Eddie House in a heartbeat to obtain Hinrich.

19. Three Toe says:

If this goes, I just hope Rondo and Kirk can be friends after all that playoff stuff last year.

They would be friends. Remember how bad was the relationship between Perk and both Sheed and KG?

;)