I've gone back and forth on whether or not the rumored Ray Allen for Monta Ellis trade would be good for the Celtics.  I can understand each point of view.  At first glance, I was all for the trade. Most would agree that Monta Ellis is the better basketball player right now.  He would also be better for the future as Ray Allen is on the downside of his career. None of us want to go another 20 years without a title and have what happened after the original Big 3 left happen again. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that this trade is not about who the better player is but rather who is the better fit.

For this reason, I don't think we should do the trade. As spectacular as he can be sometimes, Ellis needs the ball in his hands to be effective.  I think we could all agree that the best thing for the Celtics is having the ball in Rondo's hands as much as possible, and Ellis would take some of that away.

Monta could spell Rondo for 10-15 minutes a game, but this Celtics offense is based on passing and ball movement. Ellis has played in a free wheeling, rec league type of offensive system for so long that it might be hard for him to adjust. Defensively, even though Ray Allen is not what he used to be, he's probably still better than Ellis. I don't think defense is allowed in Golden State.  Then again who knows if Monta just needed a different team to bring out other aspects of his game.

It's so hard to gauge this trade because there are so many what ifs. We don't know how the Celtics will play with everyone healthy. We don't know if Monta would disrupt the offense or fit in and make it better. This is why I could never be a GM. Ainge has a very difficult decision on his hand. Does he roll the dice and bring in Ellis, which will have a potentially huge positive impact or vice versa? Or does he play it safe and count on the fact that the Celtic's issues have been because of injuries? It's an impossible question to answer, but that is why he gets paid the big bucks.

One final note. People that are for this trade don't dislike Ray Allen. We all love Ray, and he has done amazing things for this franchise since he has been here.  However, at the end of the day the NBA is a business and in any business sometimes you have to part ways with people you like.  I think either way they go here the Celtics will still be title contenders as long as Rondo and KG stay healthy

Karl Dillinger 1/26/2010 04:00:00 PM Edit

You're right Karl he's not a better fit. Hinrich's a better fit. Posey's a better fit. Nocioni may be a better fit.

I'm not disputing Ellis' talent- but this guy hasn't played in many big games in his NBA career.

Furthermore having two 6'1 guards in the backcourt is a defensive recipe for disaster.

Nicely written.

2. gilbert says:

Monta Ellis is 6'3 not 6'1 further more i would have to disagree to beat a good team in the playoffs you have to get them in foul trouble and with Ellis and Rondo going to the basket that would put a lot of bigs on the bench like Gasol, Josh Smith, and Dwight Howard. The Celtics beat the magic on christmas day without Pierce and KG cause Dwight Howard got into earily foul trouble. I think the 1 true arguement for the trade not to work would be Ellis likes to take shots in bunches and is a shoot first pass second guard

In an ideal world if Pierce and KG were both years younger, Ray might be the better fit. You did call him a "role player" Karl. But in reality we need more than that right now. You wrote before that Rondo was the only star on the team Karl (just using your stuff against you. lol). Well that won't win a championship.

I'm sure Phil Jackson, Woodson, Brown, and Van Gundy would all much prefer the C's to have Posey or Hinrich over Monta.

And regarding height, I don't see much difference between a 6'3" athletic player and a 6'5" older player defensively.

While Monta I believe is 2nd in the league to Rondo in steals (how many easy baskets would that backcourt create for us), I think in the C's system,he'd have to be more conservative. Yo would have to expect less steals, less TO's, less shots taken, and a better FG%.

Again though, Golden State would be crazy to trade a young star guard for a mid 30's guard, so Ray lovers should have no fear. It's like the Celtics offering Rondo to the Magic for Vince Carter. You don't do stuff like that.

If Ellis is 6'3 than Barkley was 6'6- you can't have them both.

Watch Ellis stand next to Stephen Curry next time and tell me he's 6'3...

No one is the height they claim to be. Except for maybe KG. All NBA players and college player and even HS players are listed 2 inches taller. Ellis is two inches taller than NBA players listed at 6'1" or 2 inches shorter than Ray Allen.

Now if you can get me info on Monta's standing reach compared to other sg's that would be helpful, because you don't block shots, defend, or rebound with the top of your head...unless your Scal.

6. Marylou says:

And I thought women were the only ones who lied about their weight...who would have known basketball players lie about their height. I had no idea!

7. gilbert says:

TB,
    Stephen Curry is also 6'3 and Monta Ellis standing reach is 8'2 predraft measurements O.J mayo 8'3.5, Eric Grordan 8'3, Kirk Hinrich 8'2.5 , Dwyane Wade 8'6, Delonte West 8'3.5, J.J. Redick 8'1.5,Brandon Roy 8'5, Ben Gorden 8'3 I tried finding Ray Allen but its difficult to find standing reach of players going that far back.

8. Scarface says:

its should b Tony not Ray for Monta. also packaged Eddie House in the trade.

9. Karl Dillinger says:

I wish we could do that! I don't even think Golden State is that dumb to do that one.