1/09/2016 09:09:00 AM
As the Celtics began preparing for Sunday’s game against the Grizzlies, there were 20 teams in action last night. Here are 12 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (10-26) lost at home to the Magic. With the loss, they maintained their hold on the third-worst record in the NBA, but did created no further separation between themselves and the teams directly behind them since the Pelicans, Timberwolves, Suns, Nuggets and Blazers all lost as well. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves (12-25) lost at home to the Cavaliers. With the Pelicans losing as well, they remain in a virtual tie for the fourth-worst record in the NBA. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the fifth pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks (21-16) learned last night that as soon as the Basketball Gods giveth, they will taketh away. After winning a game on a buzzer-beater just days ago, Dallas lost last night to the Bucks on a make with approximately 10 seconds left in the game. With the loss, the Mavericks saw their lead over the Grizzlies for the fifth seed shrink to only 1.5 games. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 20th pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. The Raptors beat the Wizards 97-88.
5. The Knicks almost got out of San Antonio with a win, losing to the Spurs 100-99.
6. The Nets lost to the Magic 83-77.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/9
Boston 19-17 (3 GB)
New York 18-20
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
7. Winners: Raptors, Magic, Cavaliers, Pacers and Heat
8. Losers: None
9. Notable Change: Last night was not a good one for Boston, as every team in involved in the playoff race won. With their win over the Nets, the Magic are now a half-game ahead of the Celtics for the eighth seed
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/9
1. Cavaliers 25-9
2. Bulls 22-12
3. Heat 22-14
4. Raptors 23-15
5. Hawks 22-15
6. Pacers 21-15
7. Pistons 20-16
8. Magic 20-17
9. Celtics 19-17
10. Kevin Garnett played only seven minutes in the Timberwolves loss to the Cavaliers last night. He finished with 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal.
11. Jeff Green and Tony Allen started in the Grizzlies win over the Nuggets. Green played 35 minutes, with the following shooting line: 4-13 FG, 3-6 3PT and 5-8 FT. He finished with 16 points, 9 rebounds and 2 assists. Allen played 38 minutes and finished with 10 points, 9 rebounds and 3 steals.
12. Brandon Bass played 25 minutes off the bench in the Lakers loss to the Thunder. He finished with 8 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
LSU vs. Florida
Hornets @ Clippers
Bulls @ Hawks
Wizards @ Magic
Nets @ Pistons
Raptors @ 76ers
Heat @ Jazz
Warriors @ Kings
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Julie Jacobson
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/09/2016 09:09:00 AM