1/26/2016 09:28:00 AM
As the Celtics were busy sweeping the season series with the Wizards, there were 16 NBA teams in action last night. Here are 11 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (12-33) were idle last night. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick. As of today, the bottom of the league standings are as follows:
5. Suns 14-31
4. Timberwolves 14-32
3. Nets 12-33
2. Lakers 9-37
1. 76ers 6-39
2. As of this morning, the Celtics (25-21) own the 20th pick in the NBA draft. Their complete list of picks project to include 3, 20, 21, 31, 34, 48, 50 and 58.
3. The Mavericks (25-21) were idle last night. With both the Grizzlies and Rockets winning though, Dallas is now one game back of the fifth seed and a half-game away from moving all the way back to the seventh seed. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 21st pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. Celtics beat the Wizards 116-91
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/26
New York 22-24
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
5. Winners: Celtics, Cavaliers, Heat, Pistons and Hawks
6. Losers: Bulls
7. Notable Change: With the Celtics winning and Bulls losing, Boston is now only one game back of being the fourth seed.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/26
1. Cavaliers 31-12
2. Raptors 29-15
3. Hawks 27-19
4. Bulls 25-19
5. Celtics 25-21
6. Pistons 24-21
7. Heat 24-21
8. Pacers 23-21
8. Jeff Green played the best 31 minutes of his season last night in the Grizzlies win over the Magic in overtime, 108-102. To get the game to overtime, Green scored, stole the ball from Orlando on the very next possession and scored again to tie it up and send it to OT with 1.3 seconds in regulation. Overall, Green shot 11 of 18 from the field and finished with 30 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assists.
9. Tony Allen played 40 minutes in the Grizzlies win last night. He went 4 of 9 from the field and finished with 9 points, 12 rebounds and 4 steals.
10. Marcus Thornton played 17 minutes off the bench in the Rockets 112-111 win over the Pelicans last night. He finished with 12 points and 2 assists, and was minus-19 for the game.
11. Rajon Rondo and the Kings suffered a tough home loss in overtime to the Hornets last night. Rondo played 42 minutes, went 3 of 7 from the floor and finished with 7 points, 10 rebounds and 20 ASSISTS, many of which went to DeMarcus Cousins, who finished with 56 points and 12 rebounds. Yes, 56 points, which is the highest point total of the NBA season. Imagine those numbers on the Celtics…okay, now stop, because he is not going anywhere.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Clippers @ Pacers
Suns @ 76ers
Heat @ Nets
Thunder @ Knicks
Wizards @ Raptors
Kings @ Blazers
Mavericks @ Lakers
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/26/2016 09:28:00 AM