1/24/2016 10:19:00 AM
There were 16 NBA teams in action last night, as well as Mr. Ben Simmons. Here are 12 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (11-33) were idle last night. However, they added to their lead over the third-worst record thanks to wins by the Suns and Timberwolves. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick. As of today, the bottom of the league standings are as follows:
5. Suns 14-31
4. Timberwolves 14-31
3. Nets 11-33
2. Lakers 9-37
1. 76ers 6-38
2. The Celtics (23-21) were idle last night. Their own pick is currently projected to be 17th pick. As of this morning, their list of 2016 draft picks include 3, 17, 22, 31, 34, 48, 51 and 57.
3. The Mavericks (25-20) were idle last night. They are tied for the fifth seed with the Grizzlies and are two ahead of the Rockets, who own the seventh seed. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 22nd pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. Knicks lost to the Hornets 97-84.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/24
New York 22-24
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
5. Winners: Bulls
6. Losers: Cavaliers, Pistons, Pacers and Hawks
7. Notable Change: Tough night for much of the Eastern Conference playoff teams, as the Pistons lost to the Nuggets, who were 16-27, the Pacers lost to the Kings, who were 19-23, and the Hawks lost to the Suns, who were 13-31. As a result, the good news is the Celtics are now tied for the fifth seed, but the bad news is they are also tied for the eighth seed.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/24
1. Cavaliers 30-12
2. Raptors 28-15
3. Bulls 25-18
4. Hawks 26-19
5. Pacers 23-21
6. Pistons 23-21
7. Celtics 23-21
8. Heat 23-21
8. Kevin Garnett played 9 minutes in the Timberwolves win over the Grizzlies last night. He finished with 2 points on 2 shots.
9. Jeff Green played 27 minutes off the bench in the Grizzlies loss to the Timberwolves. He went 5-13 from the field and finished with 11 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.
10. Brandon Bass played 21 minutes in the Lakers loss to the Blazers. He went 1-3 from the field and finished with 4 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists.
11. Rajon Rondo and the Kings are locked-in at the moment and may be playing their best basketball of the season, especially DeMarcus Cousins. In the win over the Pacers last night, Rondo got a triple-double, finishing with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists, and Cousins dominated with 48 points and 13 rebounds.
BEN SIMMONS UPDATE
12. Ben Simmons led LSU to a win over Alabama last night. They are now 5-2 in SEC games and inching closer to being a nationally-ranked basketball team again. Simmons finished the game with 23 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists. He shot an impressive 9 of 15 from the field. On the season, he is now averaging 19.6 PPG, 12.6 RPG and 5.1 APG.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Celtics @ 76ers
Clippers @ Rockets
Thunder @ Nets
Mavericks @ Rockets
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/24/2016 10:19:00 AM