1/23/2016 11:39:00 AM
In addition to the Celtics and Bulls, there were 16 NBA teams in action last night. Here are 11 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (11-33) lost to the Jazz at home last night by 22 points. Utah came into the game 6-15 on the road this season. It appears Brooklyn is once again trending way downward and it no longer seems inevitable that the Timberwolves or Suns will catch them in the standings. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick. As of today, the bottom of the league standings are as follows:
5. Suns 13-31
4. Timberwolves 13-31
3. Nets 11-33
2. Lakers 9-36
1. 76ers 6-38
2. With their win last night, the Celtics (23-21) own the 17th pick in the NBA draft. Their complete list of picks project to include 3, 17, 21, 31, 35, 47, 51 and 57.
3. The Mavericks (25-20) lost at home to the Thunder last night. With the loss, they moved back to the sixth seed in the West. They are now two games ahead of the seventh-seeded Rockets, who just received a major boost in the form of…Josh Smith?. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 21st pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. Celtics beat the Bulls 110-101
5. Nets lost to the Jazz 108-86
6. Raptors beat the Heat 101-81
7. Knicks lost to the Clippers 116-88
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/23
New York 22-23
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
8. Winners: Celtics and Raptors
9. Losers: Bulls, Heat and Pacers
10. Notable Change: Somehow, on the heels of a two-game losing streak, the Celtics moved up to the seventh seed by merely winning one game. Moreover, they are a half-game back of the fifth-seed. The daily standings watch of the Eastern Conference may be the best story of the second half. You know to come right here for your updates!
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/23
1. Cavaliers 30-11
2. Raptors 28-15
3. Hawks 26-17
4. Bulls 24-18
5. Pacers 23-20
6. Pistons 23-20
7. Celtics 23-21
8. Heat 23-21
9. Knicks 22-23
10. Wizards 20-21
11. Paul Pierce played 19 minutes in the Clippers win over the Knicks last night. He went 5-10 from the field, 3-6 from three and finished with 13 points and 4 rebounds.
12. Brandon Bass played 20 minutes in the Lakers loss to the Spurs. He went 1-4 from the field and finished with 5 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 assists.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Knicks @ Hornets
Bulls @ Cleveland
Hawks @ Suns
Pistons @ Denver
Pacers @ Kings
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/23/2016 11:39:00 AM