12/17/2015 06:21:00 AM
As my prediction last week of the Celtics finishing the month 7-1 took a massive hit in Detroit against the Pistons, there were 22 other teams in action last night. Here are some things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets fell to 7-18 after losing at home to the Heat. With the Pelicans impressive road win over the Jazz, the two teams are now tied for the third worst record in the NBA behind the Lakers and 76ers. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves lost to the Knicks last night and fell to 9-16 on the season. They have gone 1-8 over their last nine games and currently find themselves tied with the Bucks for the fifth worst in the NBA. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Thus, this pick would NOT be conveyed if the season were to end today.
3. The Mavericks moved to 14-12 after losing to the Pacers by 26 points last night. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. Despite the loss, they are in sole possession of the fifth seed. However, in addition to the four teams ahead of them in the West, there are eight teams ahead of them in the East, which means they would hold the 18th pick if the season ended today. It is also important to make note of the tale of two teams this year in Dallas. They were 9-4 through their first 13, but have gone 5-8 in their last 13. Given their roster and the age of the same, the latter is more likely representative of this team's talent level. Therefore, do not be surprised if this pick ends up being in the lottery given the Mavericks roster, age and continuing declining performance, as well as the records of those teams currently positioned between picks one through seven.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Celtics lost to the Pistons 119-116.
5. The Knicks beat the Timberwolves 107-102.
6. The 76ers lost to the Hawks 127-106.
7. The Nets were defeated by the Heat 104-98.
Atlantic Division as of 12/17
Boston 14-12 (2 GB)
New York 12-14
8. Jeff Green started in the Grizzlies loss to the Bulls last night. Green played 33 minutes and finished with 11 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound.
9. Paul Pierce came off the bench in the Clippers win over the Bucks. Pierce played 19 minutes and finished with 6 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists.
WHAT'S ON TAP FOR TONIGHT?
Raptors @ Hornets
Rockets @ Lakers
Thunder @ Cavaliers
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
12/17/2015 06:21:00 AM