12/13/2015 08:59:00 AM
What a win for the Celtics last night. After playing a double-overtime game at home against the undefeated Warriors and losing, it would have been easy for them to play poorly and blame it on the emotional and physical toll from Friday's loss. Add that to the fact the Hornets were 14-8 heading into the game, held the second seed in the East, were 8-2 over the previous 10 and 10-3 at home this season, and it is hard to not be impressed by the Celtics win.
Elsewhere in the NBA last night, there were there were 16 teams in action, including the Warriors who found themselves on the losing end for the first time against the Bucks. Here are some things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets lost at home to the Clippers and are now 7-16. However, the Pelicans (6-17) lost as well to the Bulls. Therefore, Brooklyn still has the fourth worst record in the NBA. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves were idle last night and remain 9-13 on the season. They are only 1.5 games behind the Jazz for the eighth seed. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season were to end today.
3. The Mavericks had a surprising 114-111 home loss to the Wizards last night. They are now 13-11, which has them tied with the Grizzlies for the fifth seed. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season were to end today.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Nets lost the Clippers 100-95.
5. The Celtics defeated the Hornets 98-93.
6. The Knicks defeated the Blazers 112-110.
Atlantic Division as of 12/13
Boston 14-10 (1 GB)
New York 11-14
7. Paul Pierce played 13 minutes in the Clippers win over the Nets. He finished with 10 points on 4-6 shooting, including two three-pointers.
8. Marcus Thornton was hot off the bench in last night's Rockets win over the Lakers, as he shot 7-13 from the field and 4-8 from three. He finished with 18 points, 3 assists and 3 rebounds.
WHAT'S ON TAP FOR TONIGHT?
Timberwolves @ Suns
76ers @ Raptors
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
12/13/2015 08:59:00 AM