12/01/2015 08:24:00 AM
The Celtics continued their Jekyll and Hyde season in Miami as they followed up another double-digit loss on Sunday with another double-digit win last night over the Heat. There were 14 other NBA teams in action. Here are some things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets were idle. They are 4-13 and tied with the Pelicans for the third worst record in the NBA. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves were idle. They are 8-9 and are tied with the Suns for the eighth seed and a half-game back of the Jazz and the seventh seed. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017.
3. The Mavericks surrendered 36 fourth-quarter points to the Kings last night as they lost 112-98. They are 10-8 and tied with the Clippers for the fifth seed. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Celtics bounced back from their 19-point loss on Sunday night with a 10-point win over the Heat. They are now only one-game behind the Raptors for first place in the Atlantic Division.
Atlantic Division as of 11/30
New York 8-10
FORMER CELTIC WATCH
5. Rajon Rondo played 30 minutes in the Kings win over the Mavericks. He finished with 21 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds. His final shooting line was as follows: 6-14 FG; 2-6 3PT; and 7-14 FT.
6. Paul Pierce played 14 minutes in the Clippers win over the Blazers. He shot 1-6 from the field and finished with 3 points, 2 fouls and 1 rebound. Although the Clippers won by 15, he was minus-2 for the game. Maybe turning down some of those multi-year offers was a mistake?
COUNTDOWN TO CELTICS ENDING WARRIORS WIN STREAK
The Warriors endured another close call in Utah last night, but still came out with win number 19 on the season, which brings the countdown to the Celtics giving them their first loss of the season to FOUR. As a reminder, Golden State travels to Boston on December 11th.
BEN SIMMONS WATCH
Although the hype train does not appear to have been wrong on Simmons, his presence definitely led to a complete overreaction in terms of the expectations from LSU this season. After being swept at last week's preseason tournament in Brooklyn (lost to Marquette and NC State), the Tigers hit a new low last night as they lost to Charleston 70-58. Over 40 minutes, Simmons (4-15 FG, 1-2 3PT, 6-10 FT) finished with 15 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists, 7 turnovers, 1 steal and 1 block.
While Simmons has five tremendous stat lines in six games, it is also true, as the leader of what is at the very least a talented and competent team, he must bear some responsibility for only three wins so far this season given their schedule.
Does it hurt his stock at all in your eyes or are the stat lines all that matters?
WHAT'S ON TAP TONIGHT?
Lakers @ 76ers - battle of the bottom two, which means, if the Nets lose, they are gaining a game on one of the only two teams with a worse record.
Suns @ Nets
Magic @ Timberwolves
Mavericks @ Blazers
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
12/01/2015 08:24:00 AM