From the Boston Herald:
Jeff Green will have surgery to repair his aorta and will miss the season. The 25-year-old is expected to make a full recovery. The medical issue arose when Green was taking a physical last week. He said the problem was found when he took a stress test. Since then, he has seen a number of specialists, the last of which was in Cleveland at the Cleveland Clinic yesterday. Because Green could not pass the physical, the free agent contract he signed with the Celtics will be voided.
Wishing Jeff Green a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

More from the official Celtics Twitter:
Jeff Green will undergo surgery on Jan. 9 after an aortic aneurysm was detected in his physical. He will miss the 2011-12 season.

Thanks to MrTrpleDouble10 for sharing the link on Twitter

Danielle Hobeika 12/17/2011 11:24:00 AM Edit

prayers to him for a full and speedy recovery now i see why danny resigned sasha

Poor guy, that's so awful. Glad they caught it, though. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

3. nikola says:

good luck jeff :) we are out of title race

4. Nicholas says:

The physical most likely saved his life! I hope he makes a full recovery and returns fully healthy......what now for the C's?

I'm not saying Jeff Green was the key cog to winning it all but surely our odds plummet.....blow it up?

But of course I digress, bigger things than the game at stake here of course!

Nick.

Wtf???? Welp what now? Who's gonna guard Bron now? We are f*cked! Thank u Danny!!! James Posey where art thou. Although I'm pissed, I wish Jeff the best. We hardly knew you!

6. J9 says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. shelbyl says:

Bummer. Best of luck to Green, I hope everything goes fine.

The comments on Facebook are sickening. People talking shit about Jeff for this are disgusting. Sure we all love basketball and the Celtics, but the players are people, first and foremost. Really sad that so many people don't understand that. Sending healthy thoughts his way.

Good Luck to Jeff; i hope he gets well soon. Anybody out there who complains about this is just way out of line.

Good Luck JG! Prayers go out to you.
    We need someone to replace you ASAP

-Mango

11. AMS23 says:

Jeff,
    Talking crap about Jeff is ignorant and pathetic. The Celtics did the right thing on getting multiple opinions from the best specialist. This will save this young mans life. We pray that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

Good luck to Jeff. Hope to see you on the court soon. Good luck again!

13. shelbyl says:

To people who talk shit about Jeff,

Go become Heat fans. They love bandwagoners there.

Celtics have to play it safe, most especially because of Reggie Lewis. I'm surprised this didn't show in his original physical with the Celtics when the trade happened...

15. shelbyl says:

Apparently aortic aneurysms are not necessarily congenital, so this might be sth that has recently formed as a result of injury or some other cause. Since no further details will be enclosed, we will not know for sure, but aneurysms are not the easiest to detect.

16. PBB says:

Whoa..

Good luck in your surgery and recovery Jeff.
    You are in the prayers of Celtic Nation.

17. J says:

really tough news for Jeff, I wish you the best of luck man, It will all work out. Marquis will fill in strong

18. Lalm22 says:

Man I wish Jeff the best of luck and I hope he'll be back playing ball next season

Jeff I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Your health and life is much more important than a basketball game. Luckily they found this in time. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

20. Karl says:

Tough loss but glad they caught this early. Hope for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

good news is they caught it, right? overall this should be a good thing for jeff and for the team. he'll get this fixed and he'll be OK.

I had a friend go through the same thing, he had the key hole surgery and was back on the court pretty soon after, Jeff may make it back sooner than we think! I hope this is the case not for the Celtics success but it would be a sign of his health returning.
    All the best Jeff, our thoughts are with you mate

23. coco says:

My prayers go out to Jeff. I know how he wanted so much to contribute to banner18. But a man's life is more important than basketball. Get better Jeff!

we love you jeff!! we hope you make a speedy recovery!

-your loyal hoya fans