Tonight I should be laying on my recliner watching the Celtics on NBA ticket. I should be cheering on Rondo as he Rondo's people. I should be watching Garnett scowling at everyone. I should be watching Paul Pierce hit step back jumpers. I should be watching Ray Allen be awesome at life.
Yes, the lockout has crushed many a Celtics fan heart. But let's look at the bright side. It has also given us a chance at Banner 18.

The homer in us wants to think the Celtics had a chance this year. If this had happened or if a certain Perk had stayed, we would've won last year. Nonsense. We're old. When a player is in their mid 30's every year is doubled. When those players have as many miles as Garnett, Pierce, and Allen it means they aren't going to last a season. For those of you wanting the old Celtics back (Posey, House, Powe), here's a reality check; It isn't 2008. I'm as nostalgic as anyone, but those days are behind us.

However, what we do still have is the best and most playoff tested starting lineup in the league. I don't care who we put at Center, if we have Rondo, Pierce, Allen, and Garnett playing at full strength we can and should win the title. That will only happen if we have a 50 game season. These guys need to be fresh. Sure the role players like Jeff Green and Big Baby are key. As is the newly added JaJuan Johnson (what a name). But the team success is contingent on how many minutes and how affective the big 4 can be.

I fully expect there to be a season this year. There is too much at stake for them to cancel it. Stern wants to end his tenure on a good note. The players (unfortunately) will eventually fold to the selfish owners demands and take some kind of 50/50 split. We are going to have a season. The question is how long will it be. Here's hoping it's 1999 again and we play 50 because this could be the Celtics last chance at a title for a very long time.

Karl Dillinger 11/02/2011 09:15:00 PM Edit

1. BallerX says:

So true, take for example last year, the Celtics raped the entire NBA in the beginning of the season but slowed down as the games went by. I totally feel a shortened schedule would be to our advantage. And when the playoffs start we'll be able to flip the switch like we did in '10. Banner18, LETS GET IT!!

Good to see you writing again Karl. I actually think the longer the lockout goes the more it will seriously hurt the Celtics. If you recall in 1999 teams had to play 5 games a week and had back to back to backs. A veteran team like the Celtics would have nothing in the gas left after 50 intensive games like that. In fact the past couple years the C's were playing worse ball after 50 games then they were after 82. And that was a normal schedule. Also in the playoffs they'd have to play some back to backs, which would also hurt a veteran team.

Everyday the lockout lasts, the weaker our chances at 18 get. At least in my opinion.

Curious to see how many people would pretend that an NBA title didn't mean anything if we didn't go through an entire season...

Yeah, I don't buy that argument Anonymous. The Spurs deserved their title in 1999. It's not like the playoffs were shortened. If anything, the season doesn't really begin until the playoffs start anyway. It's not like baseball, where most teams don't make the playoffs, so the regular season is important.

With that said, if the Heat win the 2012 title under a shortened season, I reserve the right to change my mind. ;)

Haha sounds good to me man!

I don't need to change my mind to bash any "succes" for the Heat. They suck even if they win a title.

7. Karl says:

Good call JR. I guess I was just thinking the schedule would be the same in terms of games per week just less games. I also agree that winning the title in a shortened season doesn't take anything away from that team. Good to be back writing!

8. yay Karl! Everyone's coming out of their cave now! Too bad there's still no season..

Yeah playing 4 games in 5 nights should really play in Celtics favor...we're screwed!! We'll be tired and the same thing will happen again Miami will beat us and playing the Knicks will be harder because they'll have Billups back.

Cancel the entire season so we can have a shot at Dwight Howard!!! we need to get younger!!!

i couldn't agree more...even if the lockout ends in jan mr greedy stren will pack the schedule with a lot of b2b games...as much as i would hate to have no ball this year i think that is the best scenario for the Cs. d12 will be a free agent in 2012 and we will have more cap space than anyone else regardless of what the terms of the new cba are and that will give us a legitimate shot at signing howard and also getting back the veterans on a smaller contract