So seemingly out of the blue tonight, David Aldridge announced on NBATV that the Celtics are "looking very hard" at free agent center Tyson Chandler. The Celtics are over the cap, so unless they are planning on blowing up the team, the only way they can afford Chandler is via a sign and trade. The next problem is that the Celtics don't really have the contracts to trade. So unless the Mavs are very interested in Big Baby, Jermaine O'Neal, or Jeff Green, I'm not sure how Danny could pull this off. We'll have to wait and see if this rumor has any traction.

Hypothetically, if the C's were able to add Chandler and keep the Big 4, they'd become one of the top favorites in the league this season.

David Aldridge interview after the jump. Feel free to suggest how the Celtics could possibly pull this move off in the comments.

via mrtrpledouble10

JR 11/28/2011 09:57:00 PM Edit

1. Howard Eisley says:

Informative

Wait the Celtics had a pretty good center....what was his name? The starting center on the Celts that won the title in 2008....Sam Perkins? No, no, it was Kendrick Perkins, right. Yeah that guy was pretty serviceable.

SIGN AI!!!!

Don't worry TB, Danny says Shaq will be able to hold down the center position in the playoffs (despite Shaq saying he won't be healthy). Maybe Danny will re-sign Mark Blount again.

this is just a joke but it wouldnt suprise me bc who the hell knows what Ainge is gonna do anymore. Also just by getting Chandler I dont think that turns us into a favorite at all because he's Perk but softer and not really a scoring threat. Unless we retain Green and get Chandler which I dont think is even possible...who knows anymore...I dont. Every1 expects Ainge 2 resign Green so just based on that I dont think its gonna happen bc whatever ppl think Ainge is gonna do he usually does something different so time will tell......

Yeah, IT would be best if we could get Perk back, but somehow I dont see that happening any time soon... =( However, Tyson Chandler would be a Fantastic Center for the Celts, I'm excited about this possibility! =)

With our luck we'd sign Tyson Chandler and he'll go down for the season. We'd be better off trading for Haywood!

This is such a sizzling topic, I pushed back Joe Wolf's WTHHT to mid-December

Danny Ainge needs to wake up and sign Allen Iverson!!!!!!

Showwwwwwww de bola

all of you perkoffs need to realize that perk is nowhere near to being a top center in the league. tyson chandler is soo much better than perkins

12. JR said the MB words.... shame on you! He who shall never be spoken of should never be spoken of!!!!

Danny may be looking at Chandler but I don't think we have what it would take to sign him unless Mark Cuban suddenly has a strong hankering for Big Baby.

13. Reean says:

Hmm DeAndre I'll take, but I'd still rather trade bbd and Rondo for Paul

i love perkins, he was and always will be a celtics in my mind, but I think that it was good to trade him seeing as he had knee problems and was demanding a big contract, one that i believe he would have failed to live up to.

15. WShaw says:

We so need a big but Chandler is such a long shot. A. Sherrod Blakely really feels Kwame is going to join the team. Yippee! (yes that is sarcasm)

Chandler + Allen Iverson + Big 4 = Baller shit

Iverson could help and I want to see him win a ring, but don't act like he'll put us over the top. Besides, Delonte is much better, IF he can stay healthy. We need Samuel Dalembert!

18. Chandler's pretty much the best possible guy we could get this free agency. He's physical, he's defense-oriented, and he just helped lead his team to a championship...

Hopefully Mark Cuban gets sold on Big Baby, and that wicked jump shot

Chandler would be awesome for us, but as JR wrote I don´t see which package we can send to Dallas unless we trade Ray. Honestly, I don´t think we are going to trade Jeff Green after all the (logical) heat Ainge got after the trade.

I hope the rumor has legs, Chandler is the center we need

SIGN NENE..!!!!!!!!!!

Two centers we should seriously look at signing/obtaining are Deandre Jordan and Javale Mcgee. Both are young defensive minded shot blockers who are freakishly athletic and they can both rebound. They both would be ideal to sign moving forward because they are also both young and can offer some decent offense as well as being great targets for alley oops from the best passer in the game (Rajon Rondo). Many people have written these two off, but at this point the Celtics need to seriously consider rebuilding and rebuilding quickly if they want to remain a title contender. With the right coaching from Doc a second unit of Jeff Green, Jajuan Johnson, and Deandre Jordan or Javale Mcgee would be amazing. With that second unit consisting of these guys we could be excellent defensively leading to many spectacular alley oop fast break points. Danny Ainge can no longer use the strategy of trying to sign an aging veteran who wants to win for the veterans minimum. He needs to sign young determined defensive players with lots of potential and athleticism. Also although the Perkins trade really tore our team apart last year, don't underestimate Jeff Green. Have faith because he will adapt to our system once he goes through training camp, and he can really ball.

THIS IS WHAT FREE AGENCY IS ABOUT!! THE NBA IS BACK PEOPLE!!!!!! (Even though it doesn't seem possible the celtics can get him)

23. shelbyl says:

I'll probably be treated like a pinata, but Chandler is better than Perkins. (more athletic, better offense, same defense, same basketball IQ)

On the other hand, getting Chandler means screwing the team up to its core, so I obviously am worried about what Ainge has in his mind.

24. Jo$h says:

I would take tyson over perk anyday. Tyson is older but he still has some ups and knees. Perk on the other hand couldn't dunk the ball from standing under the hoop unless he threw in like 4 up fakes. Perk wanted to much money and I'm glad the celtics went a different route. It was just the timing of the trade that bothered me. By Chandler would be a good fit in green if the could find the money