"I just want to say this is a true team, this is an old school bunch.  We don't run fast or jump high.  These guys had each others' back, played the right way, trusted the pass.  This is a phenomenal thing for the city of Dallas."
Up until that last word, I could've sworn Rick Carlisle was describing the 2011 Boston Celtics.  That was the coach's comment last night as they upended the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals to win the title.  I for one, am quite surprised with the outcome as I expected the greatness of LeBron and Wade to be too much for Dallas as it was for Boston.

Which leaves me with many questions and yet few answers for our beloved Celtics.

How was Dallas able to knock off the Heat and the Celtics weren't?  Neither had home court advantage.

Is Dallas a more experienced team than Boston?  Is Boston much older than Dallas?  Is Dirk better than KG?  Jason Terry better than Ray Allen?  Kidd better than Rondo?  Chandler considerably better than Perkins?  Dallas' bench of Cardinal, Peja and Barrera that much better than Glen Davis and Delonte? Carlisle a better coach than Doc (this doesn't include the first round 2005 series of Indiana-Boston)?

Does Dallas defend better than the Celtics?  Score better than the C's?

If you answered "yes" to any of those questions then you may be on to something.  If the answer was "no," then you're faced with a perplexing juxtaposition.  That is, how come the Celtics aren't the champs this year and Dallas is?

tb727 6/13/2011 05:36:00 PM Edit

Injured Rondo and Center depth did the C's in.

2. Keith Peckerhead says:

Dirk IS better than KG and Carlisle IS a better coach than Doc. And Dallas was lights-out from 3 point range. They shot absurd numbers in a few of those games from downtown and its tough to lose that.

Is Dallas a better 3 point shooting team than Boston? Yes. And they were unconscious for like 2 of their wins. That's my reason for why Dallas beat the Heat and the Celtics didn't.

3. Keith Peckerhead says:

And JJ Barea's girlfriend. You should of posted a pic of her TB

Really JR? Did Kidd play out of his mind this series? Or THAT much better than an injured Rondo? I mean is Marion THAT good?

I will admit I hardly watched any of this series but it's puzzling to me...

I'm confused although Keith I agree with you on the 3 point thing- those fluke games happen sometimes, I'm thinking Boston-Philly Game 5 2002 EC first round...

TB,
    Rondo was the Celtics best performing player in the playoffs in 2009 and 2010. He's a centerpiece of our team. We don't lose with a healthy Rondo and Perk.

Also LeBron didn't find out about Rashard boning his baby mama until the Finals. had he found out in the 2nd round...

6. Keith Peckerhead says:

TB, what about my other statements??? Do you agree that Dirk IS better than KG and Carlisle IS a better coach than Doc?

Dirk is a better scorer than KG right now and Dallas is the deepest team in the league. Baby was not himself in the playoffs and Dallas's bench scored more in one game 43 than the C's did in the Heat series (exaggerated). I love the Celtics but they were not playing as well as the Mavs this postseason... so we can't even ask any of these questions.

Fuck you

9. Leslie Cole says:

Chandler was the biggest difference. His ability to challange James and Wade at the rim can't be understated. KG used to be able to do that but when teamed with Perkins, it was more likely.

How come everyone talks about the Lakers length but Dallas also starts two 7 footers and its not mentioned??

Keith (Peckerhead, not McLoud lol) I will say Carlisle and Doc are as much of a wash as coaches as KG and Dirk as players. I think Dirk has a bit more left in him than KG. Still I don't think it's a very noticeable gap and I still think the Celtics would've beaten Dallas had they met.

Haha VERY true Leslie about the Flakers and their "length!"

12. shelbyl says:

Let me re-post a previous comment of mine:

"shelbyl said...
    I sorta disagree.

The Mavericks are basically the Celtics with better chemistry and a deeper bench. They have Chandler and Haywood inside (better than decent Defenders) and Marion and Kidd outside (awesome defenders), a more than decent amount of 3-point makers, have the ability to play decent set offense and transition offense/defense. Plus, they'll have the homecourt advantage, which is something that becomes even more important in the Finals because of the 2-3-2 setup.

So yeah, I actually think Mavs will take it in 6. We'll see though.

May 25, 2011 2:36 PM"

Hehe. And I was wrong about the homecourt advantage, yet it didn't matter to a team who beat the Lakers and Thunder away. :)

I am really happy for Nowitzki, Kidd, Terry and Marion. And Cuban. I really respect these guys. Overall, it helped this NBA season end on a slightly high note for me.

I hope the Bruins win tonight so that we have sth.

My opinion...

- Dallas has a more dependable and much better bench players
    - Dallas coach is better in rotating his players
    - Dallas is not collapsing in 4th
    - Dallas shooting better
    - Dallas motivation to win is at par compare to Boston
    - and as JR said Center depth

Boston relied much on injured Rondo in Game 5. Why not tried the other PGs (Avery Bradley or D.West) to start and finish the whole first quarter first to see if they can explode and do a difference?

Playing the injured Rondo is already a big gamble. Then why not try to gamble with the reserved PG AB? He's itching to play, and I'm sure he's is itching to make a difference.

Same as with other bench players... I just can see that Doc is relying so much with the starter and has a little trust in his bench players.

just my opinion... still a celtics but doc should learn how to maximize his bench players... sitting them everytime in every play or playing them for just 2 mins or less will not provide a motivation...

14. Karl says:

Dirk is better offensively right now than KG and he played lights out this playoffs. Tyson Chandler is far better than Perk. I wish we had him. I think we lose to the Heat anyway but beat the Mavs. It's not about who the better team is it is about matchups. Good for the Mavs though. Dirk deserved it. I think Rick Carlisle is probably a better coach than Doc but he might be the best coach in the league so that is no insult to Doc. Plus Carlisle is a former Celtic so it's not that bad.

BENCH. PERIOD.

Doc Rivers could have bench Baby since he sucked that much, but i do not know why he decided to stick with him, he should have given Pavlovic and Von more playing time. Even Bradley and Krstic.
    That's the only thing I hated in the Miami series.
    When Peja sucked, he never got put in any games again.
    So i give credit to Rick Carlisle but i still think Doc Rivers is a much better coach, very motivational and coming out of time outs, he's the best.

Dirk is better offensively but KG is 10x better defensively. ("get that sh*t outta here"_KG) LOL

Honestly for next season we need a J.J Barea, Jason Terry, and Tyson Chandler like players
    a.k.a = Jamal Crawford/J.R Smith
    and a Aaron Brooks (little like player) to penetrate the defense, may Avery can develop with a full training camp
    and a great young defensive minded Center

Any ideas guys?

_Johnny

Yeah I forgot to add CHEMISTRY to Rondo's injury and center depth. The Ubuntu Celtics had a good thing going and that was rocked at the trade deadline. Chemistry counts in basketball. Mavs were very much a TEAM.

18. Gabriel says:

Celtics are little older than the mavs. The dallas bench is better and more complete than the celtics bench. Also the celtics team is a more physical team, meaning that they made the majority of their points in the paint sow by the time the reached the playoff they were probably more tire then the mavs. When you play physical you get more tire than a shooting team. On top of that they were and injured team with no center. Or at least a good dominant consistent center. Rondo was injured, and garnet shaq,pierce and I dont remember if ray too but those first three had come from diferent injuries sow they werent a 100%.

19. Liam says:

depth and an injury
    I really really hate to play the what if game but, game 3 we would of won, game 4 went into OT with our best player playing with one arm.. Just imagine

20. Imran says:

Dallas has much better scoring. I think that was the reason we lost. We went on scoring droughts in the fourth quarter and game 4 when we didn't execute really changed the series. It also helps having Chandler cause he's so athletic.

agree with JR -- injury, center, chemistry. If you compare apples to apples, I still think KG is better than Dirk defensively, Doc is better than Carlisle. I thought the root cause is really the trade. New people, lacked chemistry, can't give the bench longer minutes, big4 playing longer minutes, then comes the injury, then the fatigue, thus the Q4 offensive drought. I hope we stick with most of these folks (Delonte, Green and even Baby) so that we can have some continuity and have time to gel during the off-season and training camp.

Please let me say.. it's all about the Center position ( Chandler) and the strong bench of Dallas.. do the C's have a good C and great bench like the Mavs do ??

I hope the Celtics learn form the Dallas teams ability to win as a team!

They had the mind set and was not focusing the Big 3 in Miami, but on their abilities as Athletic players.
    What happen to the Celtics this year, they got lazy. I'm not a big fan of Allen in the pinch, he seems to lose those three pointers for some reason?

24. DEE says:

My suggestion is to go to the courts, and practic-practic- practice. It seems the only one to do that is Rondo?

25. Abel Ramírez says:

The Celtics are not champions because they traded Perkins. He was a better defender than JO and he made the offense a lot easier than JO did because he knew all the plays. As Doc Rivers said, with rondo, you need to use many different plays, because of the way teams defend him. Without Perkins, the number of plays they could run was limited.