We are lacking the same thing since this all started back in 2007. The Celtics need help at the backup point guard: Someone who can shoot the ball, someone who buys into the team philosophy and doesn't become a locker room cancer. Getting minutes behind Rajon Rondo hasn't been easy for anyone. We tried with Eddie House, Sam Cassell, Gabe Pruitt, Nate Robinson, Avery Bradley, Carlos Arroyo and even Stephon Marbury. Nothing has been entirely successful so far. It's even arguable that Delonte is a natural point guard and the same goes for Avery.

Today I am going to talk about José Calderón. I believe he would be the perfect choice to play behind Rajon and occasionally play together. I will start by saying that I am not objective in this article. My mother is from the same town as José and therefore I am in a position to tell you some things that you may not know. Calderón comes from a humble family in a region in Spain which is not very noticeable by tourists. Extremadura is in the southwestern part of Spain, close to Portugal. People there are very quiet and very friendly and of course proud of their identity. As for my family, Calderón's family is a humble one. José's mother had a small grocery store in town and my grandmother used to buy there everyday. My grandma usually talks to me about Calderón's family and even that she has naturally met him many times, even after becoming an icon in Spain. Because you must know that José Calderón is one of the best PG in the history of my country. And as you may know, he has also had some success in the NBA.

I have watched José's game evolve ever since I watched him play in the Spanish League, also known as ACB. He first played for Alicante and then moved to the north to play for current Caja Laboral Vitoria. He left town as a teenager from a region that has little chance for people to become noticeable in the national news. Little by little, José has made his own path to glory. It is quite amazing to see someone coming from such a modest environment become a legend in my country. His father was a player in a minor basketball league in Spain. When I was little I used to watch his games live at the arena when I travelled for Christmas or Easter to visit my grandmother and my cousins in Villanueva de La Serena. In Badajoz. In Spain.

But now we are talking about the NBA, about the Celtics and their chances to get back to the glory again. And we are talking about the possibility of seeing Calderón as a piece of the puzzle that makes it possible once more. Isn't basketball wonderful? Isn't life full of magic?

I can tell you something: you won't find anyone more suitable to the ubuntu spirit than Calderón in the NBA. He is so unselfish that he has irritated some fans in the past. He has worked his shooting so much that now he may be a threat from the three point line. He worked so much that he is one of the top 5 in assists in the league every year. He is also one of the best in assists per TO ratio in the league ever since he plays in Toronto. In other words: he is a team oriented player with above average court vision that could score and assist at will with our team. His IQ is really high and he would fit instantly, plus he is one of the best free thow shooters in the league.

At almost 30 years of age and after spending some tough years in Toronto due to many changes in personnel, José would accept playing for a winner instantly. He would be the perfect teammate and the perfect backup for Rondo.

How the Celtics could get him:

Here comes trouble: He is due close to $20 million in the next two seasons. Toronto wants to trade him because the project he was part of has ended. In fact it ended when Chris Bosh decided to join Miami's ego squad. He would welcome a change and the team needs to find new names and new references. So yes, he is on the trading block. The problem is that we would need a third team or some sign and trade with different pieces to get Calderón from the Raptors. Either that or sending Ray Allen with the promise of being cut by Toronto and getting Ray Ray back one month later. In other words, it is complicated. So far I have suggested signing players with realistic economic scenarios. This time it is not realistic. But not impossible. We have seen more surrealist things happening to our team and around the league. All I am just saying is that José would be priceless coming from the bench for us. He hasn't been too healthy later because he had too play many minutes in a very unsuccessful team. He would be great here, provided we could get him

Cons:

When you star player is called Andrea Bargnani you know that defense is not the priority for your team: Calderón has been criticized for his D. While he is not the best defender, he has been part of a subpar team in that department in the league. While playing in Spain and also for the national team he has proved he can be a decent defender. With the right teammates and in the right environment he would be able to contribute in D too.

What do you think? Should the Celtics sign José Calderón?

Is there any team you would like to play for? Jose Calderon: Obviously everybody would like to play for Boston or the Lakers, because apart from being two of the best teams, everything around them is amazing. When you watch that, you're like, "How cool!" But you've got to realize that it's difficult to get a spot there.

Bohemian 6/18/2011 05:38:00 PM Edit

I live also in Europe and if is Extremadura close to Portugal, it has to be in the western part of Spain. Apart from that I think that it is really impossible to get him to squad - too expensive. Delonte is good enough to be a backup and Boston have more problems with bigs.

Agreed last anon. I know he is too expensive and the chances of landing him here are very scarce. However, it is Saturday night and dreaming is free :). Delonte does a great job but he can get some help and also contribute at the SG position eventually ;)

5. Im not a fan of Calderon by any means, but I do see/understand your points.

& since you guys were speaking of Delonte, IF he could be our primary backup shooting guard then how about we go after a 'more attractive' point guard - I like Aaron Brooks or Sebastian Telfair.

please no

7. mgballer3 says:

@peanut butter no thank you to the sebastian telfair experiment. already tried that. Brooks would be perfect though.. As for Calderon, remember this people? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPXrDq82Rs

8. Jon L. says:

I think he is way too expensive and they should just stick with Delonte as well.

No, we can get Kris Humphries who can play the 4 and the 5. We can use the MLE.

10. @mg, yea I know what you mean, but Telfair does have a few more years of experience under his belt. He did play pretty well for the Cavaliers. Anyway - there are a good amout of solid PGs that we could look into signing.

-Aaron Brooks (as I already mentioned)
    -Goran Dragic
    -JJ Barea (though, I know its lowly likely that the Mavs will let him go)
    -Rodney Stuckey
    -Sundiata Gaines & Ronnie Price (could be combo guards like Delonte)

just to name a few.

really? this guy? c'mon now. really, c'mon now.

dRU

12. Beantown says:

They won't spend 20 million/2 years for a backup PG, not when we have a gaping hole at the center position.

Thanks for doing another Green Target Bohemian. I like Calderon's offensive game and he'd obviously be a solid backup to Rondo, but I think you hit the nail on the head that his contract would be hard to swallow. Now if the Raptors choose him as their Amnesty Exception this Summer, based on that quote of his desire to play for the Celtics maybe he could be had for cheap.

So there you go Bohemian. There is still hope you could have a countryman on the C's. And if not Calderon, we can go back to pushing Rudy to come here. ;)

p.s. Loved your "inside info" and stories. Great stuff. We should also change your name to "Bohemian aka the writer who broke the Krstic story"

LOL, thanks JR :))

I just wanted to share some "inside info" with you and at the same time bring some "controversy" to the Green Target. I will get more realistic with the next player :)

I just don't understand the "no" and hate of people towards Calderón (is it again due to the stereotype of euro players?). I see his contract as the main reason why the Celtics won't look at it as a chance but otherwise the talent is there.

To those who just say "no", I would like them to think about those offensive lapses we suffer from when Rondo sits and the lack of ball movement for the second unit. That wouldn't happen with José there. Rondo would be able to rest a little more and that would keep him fresh too and prevent him from getting too worn out.

And JR, you know Rudy would be much easier to acquire for us and also an even better fit :)

16. Luis Lopez says:

I know we need a Big guy, in any case, if they wanted to pick a point guard, i'd pick Nolan Smith out of duke, the kid has been a champion his entire life, great shooter, high BBall IQ, good passer and a great defensive player, maybe they can even bring Smith at the 2 and Bradley at the 1 who knows, it doesn't sound that bad to me but we need a big guys desperately

yees! calder could make a lot of good things for the C's!!

For me keeping Delonte and Bradley we re good in PG.
    We just need a SG to keep Ray fresh (Ja. Crawford/Mayo) and a SF to let Pierce get more rested(not to spend so much, we got Green already , so a drfat pick would be good). In PF were full with KG, BBD and Green so we buy M. Gasol and combined with JO and BBD who can play as C a think we re ready to challenge the title again :D

WTF!!! We have 6 roster spots right now, 2 are pg's. One pg plays 40 minutes a game. We need everything but a pg..
    Big no

To last anon. We should protect Rondo so he arrives fresher to the playoffs too. I'm not talking about 30 minutes, but he should definitely not play more than 35-36. Plus you need players just in case...when there is foul trouble, etc.

And Delonte's health is not very reliable either...will Doc play Avery when some injury arrives?

21. shelbyl says:

People are really hard on Green, and I understand that as he failed to produce what he was brought in for.

Yet there is this Avery conundrum that really bugs me.

Why do we trust Avery? What have we seen from him? Why do we think he's a prospect?

I don't mean to diss the kid, but I'm quite amazed at how people can rely on him given that he hasn't shown any positive signs this year.

I agree Shelby on the Avery Bradley thing. He had a poor year in college, followed by being overwhelmed as a rookie NBA player. Yeah sure he might be a player eventually, but the same could have been said about Lester hudson, JR Giddens, Gabe Pruitt, Gerald Green, etc.

The guys who made it like Delonte, TA, and Rondo all showed strong potential starting during their rookie summer leagues and then seasons.

Danny says Avery Bradley would be a top 5 pick in this draft. I wonder how many top 5 teams in the draft would trade their picks for him? lol. How many top 10 teams?

Maybe Bradley can develop into a Randy Brown type defensive specialist off the bench.
    Top 5 pick? Really Danny? Jeff Green a better defender than Perk? Really Danny? Jeff Green was the most efficient Celtic on offense in the playoffs? Really Danny? Not sure why he feels the need to lie so much.

the next green target should be nene from nuggets