A. Sherrod Blakely puts to rest any dreams of a Rondo/Josh Smith reunion.
A league source told CSNNE.com on Monday night that the Celtics have had "no discussions whatsoever" with the Atlanta Hawks about acquiring Smith. The same source added that there were no plans to open up such dialogue any time in the near future.
"You can never say never," the source said, "but there's nothing going on there."
Blakely speculates that Ray Allen would have been the target for the Hawks and that one reason the C's wouldn't be interested in Josh Smith is because they already have Jeff Green. Mind you Josh Smith is a much better player than Jeff Green. He's a top shot blocker and actually can rebound. So if you're keeping score at home we have no center because Danny traded him for Jeff Green and we aren't getting Josh Smith because of Jeff Green.

While Josh Smith does have his flaws, just being honest here, I don't think the C's will be able to get anyone better than him. So while for sentimental reasons I understand fans would rather watch Ray and KG for one more year, not getting Smith could be a blown opportunity. What also might suck is if next year Dwight Howard is forcing a trade out of Orlando and we could have had a piece in Smith that would entice Howard to come here or could be traded to get Howard, but we don't have him, so he goes to the Lakers for Bynum.

So again, while fans might prefer not to break up the team now it might be our only chance to rebuild on the fly. In my honest opinion our four year window closed the day we traded Perk. I believe if we hadn't made that trade and instead made the Semih/Battier trade we would have remained the top seed (as Doc has said as well) and we would have taken Miami out in the Eastern Conference Finals with home court advantage on our side. No way Dallas beats us in the Finals either. BUT since that team has already been broken up by Danny, no need to pussy foot around and keep the team minus a center and lose in the 2nd round again.

If you have an opportunity to trade in one year of Ray or KG for a future building block you have to go for it. Cecause I have some bad news for you if you are against moving any of the Big 3 then don't be surprised if Danny trades Rondo after the Big 3 retires and starts from scratch. So let me ask you, in order to keep Ray and KG for a year are you willing to sacrifice Rondo? I sure am not. Don't for one second think Danny is going to show some loyalty to Rajon. Danny's the guy who told Red he should have traded Bird or McHale. So be careful with what you wish for saying that Danny should under no circumstance trade KG or Ray. I actually read a comment today where someone said Danny does not have permission to trade them. Hilarious!

The 2008-2011 Ubuntu Celtics have run their course. They were broken up prematurely at the deadline. Now it's make or break time for the future of the Celtics. If you want a team with Rondo on it and you want a contender then you must be willing to part with Ray or KG for the right piece. So again are you willing to risk losing Rondo just to watch the Big 3 one more year?

JR 6/22/2011 04:14:00 AM Edit

no they are extremly interested

I agree that Josh Smith is the kind of player we need for the future: He is 25, very athletic and the perfect complement for Rondo.

I also think that Danny messed up with our team in February, so I don't understand the reluctance to at least talk about this possibility by Celtics management. Discussing about adding Smith now that his trade value is quite low is a no-brainer.

I don't want to trade Ray Allen but this management needs to decide what they want for next year.

JR, I am not sure Allen for Smith would have been a good trade. But at least it would make a lot of sense to talk about it...it seems it's only us fans who are doing so, which is sad

Yeah Bohemian, Nothing wrong talking about things. Like how about this hypothetical: Ray for Smith. Then KG to a contender for 2 first rounders. Then trade Jeff Green and the higher of those two first rounders AND the Clippers first rounder to the Magic for a sign and trade of Howard. Then trade the other 1st rounder for Rudy Fernandez.

How do you think this team would look: Rondo, Rudy, Pierce, J.Smith, Howard?

Other option is no trades and a team that looks like this: Rondo, Jiri Welch, Gerald Green, Raef Lafrentz and Mark Blount. lol

^^^^Guy above me has been smoking Blount if he thinks any of that is possible.

5. ronit07 says:

nice article,Mr.JR did u get my article yet???

6. Jeniel says:

It's Ajon Rondo and Osh Smith... cause they have no J...

kidding.. :)

I think what rondo need is a shooter so he can drive and kick. just an opinion.. :)

but Josh Smith, among other FA is the most interesting one.

7. QD says:

I find it interesting that you took the R off of Rondo's name and then said, "cause he has no J". o_O

yeah QD that made me laugh too.

SO is Smith gonna play center for us?

Rondo
    Pierce
    Green
    Garnett
    Smith

I love Ray, but that lineup is deadly. So many matchup problems.

10. kunzang says:

J is my language means dick..
    so y'all saying no J...just sounds so wrong to me..LMAO
    hahahhaa

11. London says:

I think we should trade Ray for Monta Ellis. Keep KG, Pierce, Rondo, and Green. & Danny Ainge made a horrible decision trading Perk but I think he is a smart man (he made the Big 3 happen) so he can make Dwight Howard in green possible too.

New Big Three Rondo, Ellis, Howard .

jeff green is a bum we DONT need him. of course he is better then davis but josh smith is PERFECT

13. Freeease1 says:

It is only logical that the hawks would want Ray. Howver I would offer K G and 2014 first round unprotected pick. Plus another player such as williams or Zasa Zasa (sp) I would then look to trade williams within the 90 day period for a shooting Guard or cenetr. I would also put Ray on the block for a decent young big man or ray for monta Ellis which Golden state may like then tdare monta and williams to Philly for Iggiy. and 2012 first round pick. I agree we need o get the transition under way Now!!!

I wonder if Smith is still available. Would the Hawks like Ray Allen for him?