In the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about Michian’s Fab Five, Jalen Rose said this about Duke and Grant Hill .

“Schools like Duke didn’t recruit players like me. I felt that they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms. … I was jealous of Grant Hill. He came from a great black family. Congratulations. Your mom went to college and was roommates with Hillary Clinton. Your dad played in the NFL as a very well-spoken and successful man. I was upset and bitter that my mom had to bust her hump for 20-plus years. I was bitter that I had a professional athlete that was my father that I didn’t know. I resented that, moreso than I resented him. I looked at it as they are who the world accepts and we are who the world hates.”
Now Grant Hill's response:
It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a bitch and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them….

To hint that those who grew up in a household with a mother and father are somehow less black than those who did not is beyond ridiculous.
"Uncle Toms?" Really Jalen? Since Rose is an ESPN analyst and in the spotlight, I have no doubt he's going to squash this publicly with Hill. I mean it could be worse. Rose could of called Hill a "House Negro" or a different n word, but I don't blame Hill for taking the time to respond back and call Rose's remarks "pathetic." What are your thoughts?

JR 3/16/2011 11:10:00 PM Edit

1. Jonathan says:

It is funny that no one has picked up on the fact that Jalen and the other Fab 5 members were speaking from their 18/19 year old perspective. That was how they felt about the Duke players. Past tense.

I for one appreciated the candidness of the piece.

2. Karl says:

I saw this today and was hoping someone would post it. Jalen Rose is an idiot for saying that. Don't hate on a person for growing up in a good environment, that's just ignorant. Grant Hill is one of my favorite NBA players and totally dominated Rose in this response and was 100 percent correct.

What an ignorant comment. I would've expected Ray Jackson to make it. Michigan lost to Duke and UNC. Loved not seeing that team win a title.

4. Grant Hill is a very classy guy.

5. shelbyl says:

Jalen might have really felt that way years ago, maybe he was sincere in his remarks. Yet if you're saying stuff like that, sincerity is not the most important issue, you need to word it carefully and delicately.

When I read Jalen's remarks, I said "That's bitchy." Worded differently, I could've said "Wow, that's touchy." When I read Hill's response, I said "Now, that's classy."

6. QD says:

Everyone doesn't seem to realize, like someone stated above... they were 18yr old kids, he said that's how he felt, not feels. He also stated that it was clearly jealousy, because he had a professional athlete for a father that wasn't there for him, and watching his mother struggle just to get by added to it. Not saying it was right, but that's how he felt. That was 20 yrs ago, I'm sure Rose has evolved since then.

7. QD says:

People are really blowing this up for no reason. Also, I would bet that most people, not just here on this site, but other places making comments didn't even watch the documentary.

Everything he said, he clearly said, "I felt like"... pass tense.

8. Shaqfu says:

Huh, wha?

I think Hill is a jackass for even addressing this.

Everyone hates Duke, except my idiot sister in law.

I at least respected Duke, but now I think I just despise them.

9. This entire thing is fucked. Know why? Because it was 19 years ago, not 20.

They're really weak in math at ESPN.

Really ESPN? A documentary commemorating the "19th" anniversary? Why is that significant?

10. Three Toe says:

I agree with Jonathan and the one's with similar thoughts. It's nice to hear honesty. Sometimes we hear or read certain inflammatory phrases like "uncle tom" and we immediately want to chastise the person who said it. Do a little bit of background reading, try to get some context and try to actually understand what the person was saying. Jonathan pinpointed it when he said "past tense" as in he that's how he used to feel, but doesn't anymore. I can see why Grant Hill felt the need to respond, but he seems to have missed the point slightly. I agree with his message of the importance of class equality, but he takes it too personally.

I don't know, I guess Rose was explaining his attitude at the time the rivalry has taken place, not necessarily the way he feels now.
    Sure it was disrespective but still I think it's OK because he was honest. It's not a smart think to say but seems honest to me.
    Especially since he's not picking at Grant Hill but just using him as an example of Duke's policy (or the way he saw it at the time) and the party that really should comment on it is Duke, rather than Grant Hill.
    Now, Hill's response is well written but maybe going a bit too far for my taste. Of course it depends on the way you see Rose's comment and on how you view the "Uncle Tom" remark.
    There. ;) If only I had this much to say when I'm doing my school work.

Nobody is talking about the fact Duke do not recruit black inner city youth!

3toe, I don't blame Hill for taking it "too personally." It's a pretty big dig. One which I'm sure he's heard before too by other ignorant people, so obviously its a sensitive subject. If glad Hill responded.

And the whole "These are my thoughts from 20 years ago, so you can't criticize me now" thing is weak. From now on when I say dumb shit I'm going to use that excuse.

It would be ignorant to not have gained any perspective over the past 20 years and still think of duke and grant hill as he did when he was 19. Having those thoughts and feelings as a kid, understandable.

15. It wasn't 20 years ago dummy, it was 19 years ago. What's the significance of something from 19 years ago? Why is this a story? Couldn't they have come out with it during the 20th anniversary?

Great job ESPN, coming out with this 19 years after, not 20.

I say 19 years from now we come out with "The Norman Dale Experience, the Man, the Nuisance, the Banning."

Norman go eat some fish sticks, play with your spare tire of a gut and stfu.

17. adam says:

Would everyone been a lot happier if he had lied? Just because you disagree with what he said isn't really the point, he was stating how they felt.

18. Duke Forever says:

Fuck those michigan hoodlums! Go Duke!

19. Three Toe says:

I see your point JR. I think that if you didn't harm anyone back then and you kept your mouth shut, it's ok to say, "well i used to think x, y, z, but now that i can see why that was wrong and i don't feel that way anymore." he didn't say that he has changed that opinion explicitly, but it's implied.