The Celtics, in their search for a backup point guard while Delonte West recovers from a sprained ankle, have come to terms with Carlos Arroyo on a pro-rated veteran’s minimum contract for the rest of the season, according to a league source.

Arroyo, pending a physical, may join the team tomorrow in Milwaukee.

Arroyo had been waived by Miami earlier this week to make way for the team’s signing of Mike Bibby, and was one of two veteran playmakers the Celtics were looking at. The other was thought to be Antonio Daniels, the long-time veteran who is attempting a comeback with the Texas Legends of the NBDL.

The make room for Arroyo, the Celtics informed backup center Chris Johnson following today’s practice that his contract was not being renewed.
This move makes a lot of sense. Arroyo isn't that great, but I don't think you can go into the playoffs with only oft-injured Delonte West and rookie Avery Bradley as the only backups at the point. What happens if Rondo has to miss a game? You need some insurance.

On a side note, the Celtics have definitely become more International in the past ten days, which is kind of cool considering the huge amount of international readers Celtics Life has.

JR 3/05/2011 03:37:00 PM Edit

1. mj says:

another slap in the face to the now number 3 seed in the east the heatles lol

Not a bad move actually.

3. Tim says:

Lol thats so weird I called it half an hour before it actually happened, the C's will now know all of Spolestras secret iso plays to LeQueen!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mSilva says:

I'm from Puerto Rico and a die hard Celtics fan... so I'm actually glad for this, specially since I'll probably see the Celtics more on my newspapers! lol. Arroyo is good, he just needs to find his pace and rhythm. We'll se about it, but you'll also see my screen shots when the papers come! IT'S ALL ABOUT 18TH, BABY!

When you can't beat them, join them.. JO, Shaq and Delonte learnt pretty quickly.. Lol

6. shelbyl says:

Arroyo brings insurance to the table (which we really do need with West's inconsistency and Bradley's offensive incapability) and cannot really hurt us, so it's a good move.

Since the Perk trade Ainge has been quite confident that JO and Shaq would return in good shape at least for playoffs. And even if not so, we now have KG, Baby, Krstic, Murphy and Green for 4 and 5, which is decent enough as we've seen so far.

There's also the psychological element to some extent. If I were a Heat fan to see Arroyo playing decent minutes in Boston, I'd jump off the closest bridge. Delonte, Pavlovic, Arroyo; they all know LeBron, that might good.

Overall, I like it.

7. tatiana says:

Celtics just keeps getting better, I'm glad they signed him,I'm from Puerto Rico and I've seen him play, he's good, he just needs his confidence back!Now I'm even more excited for my Celtics!!

Ehh, here's hoping he plays one regular season minute to get a WTHHT and doesn't make the playoff roster.

Celts should signed God Shammgod instead.

Fast forward to 0:27 to see Shammgod and Arroyo together:

Arroyo & Shammgod

I suggested this the other day. We're going all the way baby!!!

lol Arroyo shall get his revenge for getting waived by miami

Miami keeps finding themselves in weird situations... lmfao I mean before the Season started they were the favorite to win it all, (we all know how that ended now), next they sign players and tell them "we are promising you a championship", but for what to cut their original players that have been with them since before Lequeer and Gosh joined Wade?? They are clearly sending the wrong messsage to players which is why they choose Boston over Miami. First of all We know what happened to our team and we have only to blame to injury. Injuries made this team what it is today, and I love this new team, injury free for now with Nate out 6 weeks, Perk out 3weeks, Semih out, and Harangody recently fighting injury bug, we dodge this which is good. Miami on the other hand is saying we will replace you if we find a better suitor. which is what arroyo felt victim to. Im glad hes in the green uniform. Fist Latino in Green this year.. I love it

m Silva, Arroyo isnt good.

Carlos Arroyo! lol I think it's a good signing, Del can't stay healthy and Arroyo is good for a backup PG.

Well done, but another guy to integrate in the Celtics style. Imagine this lineup vs Milwaukee:

Arroyo
    Pavlovic
    Green
    Murphy
    Krstic

Crazy times in Beantown!

Also we could say it's the first Spanish speaking Celtic?? ;)

I hope Bradley gets more minutes than this utterly useless scrub. I understand he could be useful in playoffs (to fetch Gatorade for the real players and so on) but I really hope Doc gives more minutes to Bradley who is a promise.

LOL!

Celtic singing reggaeton??

18. RoswellSounds says:

Hey Bohemian...

If my memory is working correctly, an argentinian player named Ruben Wolkowyski "played" some minutes for the C´s in ´02 or ´03. I don´t think he qualifies for a WTTHT article...

Fuck reggaeton, anyway! Take that shit back to puerto rico with you, arroyo...

Oh Roswell, the WTHHT on Wolkowyski is def gonna be done. He was a Polish born citizen who played for Argentina. I believe he retired recently.

Anyways don't worry, the WTHHT on Wolkowyski will def be done. Was just waiting (and hoping) for him to do something else (like the Zan Tabak Skill CAmp) lol

Jenda i got through explaining to JR how Arroyo was the worst player in the NBA this morning. Watch my Arroyo-Shammgod video from above. Celts should've just signed Shammgod lol.

My bad...what did I drink? :P

I completely forgot about Wolkowyski but also...Ramon Rivas!!

TB, waiting for the Ruben W. article, must be awesome :)

By the way, Ramón with ´ over the "o" to be more correct in Spanish. If anyone is interested, "arroyo" means "stream" :P

23. So if Arroyo means "stream" does Carlos mean "piss" Bohevian?

Arroyo is complete crap, one of the 25 worst NBA players of the past 15 years, easily.

Tyronn Lue>Carlos Arroyo

Yes No-man, it means that

We only picked up Arroyo cuz he knows Miami's plays and to have an edge on them in the playoffs.

Russell sounds.... Yeah sounds like shit what you are talking about, arroyo can be a starter in any team, forgot the 2004 Olympic who was the guy that team USA couldn't Stop and the USA Lost by 20+ with puerto Rico!
    Yep it was Arroyo

He's the best of what's available and it helps to bring the heat's point guard to boston for obvious reasons

arroyo aint bad but i think i rather have antonio daniels. that dude should be in the league

If he is the worst player in NBA why the C's are looking for sign him...play good ..play bad que se joda, some body say some shit about PR and reggaeton i'm gonna say in spanish pa que te quedes con esa cabron jodio razista , i bet you Puertorican butts

cabrones razistas no sirven

32. BellFonta says:

Carlos Arroyo ehh, good move to back rondo i guess since Delonte and his inconsistencies.

Arroyo can't shoot, can't defend- he's a huge liability out there. It's surprising it took Spoelstra half-a-season to realize Chalmers was the better player.

The worst part of Arroyo is he can't knock down WIDE-OPEN jumpers. All his defenders remember the game with Puerto Rico and how he played out of his mind. As the saying goes, "every dog has his day." He sucks.

Tyronn Lue>>>>>>>Arroyo

34. ThomasJ says:

My question is - if Arroyo is so good, why was he replaced by Bibby's corpse?

35. ThomasJ says:

The answer is Bibby's corpse can knock down open jumpers

To the anonymous in Spanish:

Many Celtics fans here speak Spanish and I am sure 100% here are not racist, so just relax.

Todos pensamos que el fichaje de Carlos Arroyo aportará al equipo y contribuirá al logro del anillo número 18 para la franquicia. Vamos a celebrar los triunfos de Arroyo y los Celtics juntos, no?

Let's go C's and welcome to Boston, Carlos!

37. Jeniel says:

I just hope that the C's will battle against heat come playoffs... because if this trend continues... I have a good feeling that the first round will be HEAT AGAINST KNICKS which is really a tough one for the both.. lol, so less problems for the east... and I also have a feeling that Lebron and Company will have an early vacation this season... (maybe because they have to practice) LMAO..

Just saying..

38. mrkC says:

Arroyo>>Bibby

another foolish move by the miami heat!

If someone notice arroyo had a 18 pt game, i think he had a 14 pt game, a lot of 12 and some of 8 while playing with lebron, wade, and bosh at his side and in some games he score more than them.

Dont judge a point guard for making basket judge a point guard for how the teams runs with him on the court , and yes miami was dumb as hell to sit arroyo for chalmers , theres a stat rolling around that said when arroyo played 25 minutes or more miami havent loose a game , trust me i watch every game this year and arroyo actually surprised me this year alot , he actually adapt to play with the big 3 problem there wich im sure is that lebrick wante chalmers starting just like lebron wanted bibby as a heat.

41. I disagree with the premise of your article but I still think its pretty useful. I still really like your site. Keep up the good work.
    Yacht Insurance Southern California