In a recent interview Ray Allen declared that he'd like to be remembered as a Boston Celtic. He compared it to the way Kareem Abdul-Jabbar won multiple League MVP's as a Buck, but is ultimately remembered for his time in Hollywood.

Ray Allen doesn't show up on many of the Celtic's All-Time leaderboards, but he does have some numbers that state his claim. Over Ray's 4 Celtic season's he has posted a 117.7 Offensive Rating, that's good enough for fourth in Celtic History. His Celtic free throw percentage tops the board at .914, ahead of NBA Greats Larry Bird and Bill Sharman. He is only 2 Three Pointers away from passsing Larry Legend for 3rd All-Time in CELTICS HISTORY (Pierce and Walker are still ahead of him). And by the way Ray is currently on pace to destroy the single season three point percentage record, set just 2 seasons ago by Eddie House, Sugar Ray is shooting an astounding 45% from deep.

While this question is being asked right now, the answer may not be needed for another few years. Ray Allen is not going to be retiring after this season, he most likely will play for quite a while longer. Let's play around with some math...

Boston Career Averages + Percentages: 17.3 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 2.8APG, .474 FG%, .396 3PT%

Previous Career Averages + Percentages: 21.5 PPG, 4.6RPG, 3.9APG, .446 FG%, .397 3PT%

From looking at that you'll see that Ray Allen is not averaging less, but shooting better because of the players around him. This was of course the plan when putting the Big Three together, but not all things come together as you plan.

Before playing in Boston, Ray had to rehab from a surgery where he had bone spurs removed from both ankles. His season was stopped short in '06-07 because of the pain, but he was scoring a career high in points, and had just come of a 54 point output just two months earlier. Needless to say Ray Allen was on a roller coaster of emotions. Some questions began to surface about whether the 31-year-old jump shooter, coming off double ankle surgery, would ever be the same again. The Sonics didn't think so. Seattle could have had him playing alongside either Kevin Durant or Greg Oden, both of which were guaranteed superstars at the time, but they opted to move forward without their 7 Time All-Star. In their defense, who could have seen this production coming? (Besides Danny Ainge)

If Ray plays every game this season, and then 70 per year for the next 3, he would finish with over 9,000 Points in a Celtics uniform. Of course that's assuming a lot of things, but there's no reason to think that Ray Allen wants out of Boston, and there should be no reason to think he can't play at least another 3 seasons. Have you seen his body? He looks like a 20 year old.

Ray Allen is a Hall of Famer, he's The NBA's Three Point King, and his best seasons were here in Boston. As of right now the numbers may not add up, but when it's all said it done I have a feeling he'll be right up there in between Don Nelson and Bill Sharman.

This picture should help as well.

Jesse Dampolo 2/08/2011 02:09:00 PM Edit

1. Three Toe says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. thanos says:

Great article, bit I want to see Ray play enough so that this question will not need be asked.

3. Karl says:

If Garnett is put up than Ray should.

4. ronit07 says:

When I first read the title,I was thinking.We are chasing banner 20 but then I remembered its banner 18 but I do believe that Sugar ray's no. should hang up there in the rafters!

Without a doubt.

Also, can't wait to hear the jungle on Thursday when Ray hits the 2nd 3-pointer against the Celtics with Reggie in the arena. I wonder what the Celtic's "celebration committee" is planning for the night.

6. Hell yeah, without a doubt.

7. @threetoe. Good call, i've clarified.

I felt like i was saying "celtics history" over and over again, but i understand how someone (not you or me) could get it mixed up.

8. celticfam wordaapp says:

No question. Put him up there. Nice article

On one hand I'm convinced his number should be up there, on the other hand that means KG's number as well and that meand Celtics are going to need three digit numbers or pictures instead of numbers very soon. lol

10. The Coach says:

I think I mentioned in a post last week that if the Celtics can capture that 18th banner with this group then Ray and KG will join Pierce in the rafters. He has been such a terrific Celtic and he understands what it means to be a Celtic...#20 will rise up!

11. RoswellSounds says:

His number will be up there, without a doubt. Luckily for us, Ray is down in the court and he´s gonna make history next thursday...

12. He also has been remarkably healthy the whole time, KG was out for half a year and through those playoffs... by the way it was in that first round that 30+ year old Ray Allen dropped 50.

13. thanos says:

Besides what someone's done for the team,isnt hanging a no. way too special to give it to a great player that's been in your team and has given an awful lot, like kevin or even paul? I mean both have been oustanding, with amazing performances.

But ray, he is like perfection, ultimate pureness. Frankly, i think his name should be equivalent to an olympic god's name or something.

If one no. should go up, i think it would have to be ray's.

14. Phil says:

Pierce going up anyway and Rondo if he sticks around for several more years. But if the Celtics win another championship with Ray and Garnett then I want to see 20 and 5 up there everytime I go to the Garden. I can't see doing one without the other.

15. thanos says:

I am just saying, i would put pierce mostly because of what he's done to the team. I would put ray up just because he's just brilliant!

Only if he wins another ring with us and has a solid year next year. Many people have heard (repeatedly) from me that i feel the Celtics are too liberal in retiring numbers. We should actually be the strictest. I feel that retired #'s should only be for a select handful of elite players. Players who played at least 10 yrs on the C's. You can have a special night for a player, but leave the number in play.

With that said, the bar has been set pretty low with guys like Don Nelson and Cedric Maxwell getting their numbers retired and if Ray wins a 2nd title with those standards his number should be retired. If Ray's # gets retired just know that 5, 9 and 43 will probably all also be unavailable for future Celtics.

Props to Loscy for refusing to have his # retired, so it could be worn by others.

Also Ainge is going to get his # retired and that's a shame. How many all-star games did he make? if your giving him credit for his GM work, well he didn't wear a number on his GM polo, so that's silly.

That bottom pic is awesome.

17. The one's I'd say might be questionable...

3. Dennis Johnson was a member of 2 Championships, great player, HOF'er, I LOVE him, but I could understand someone questioning him. I say he's in though.

16. Satch Sanders is a career Celtic, a defensive minded guy, played his role, has 8 rings... but only has 8,000 points in 12 seasons. You can say he's our Bruce Bowen. But we have a BUNCH of Bruce Bowens.

19. Don Nelson played 10 years, numbers were okay, wasn't a starter the whole time... but i think Nelly makes it. I put him in because he was in the 60's era, then stayed, and contributed in the 70's era. There are few guys who hung over between decades.

22. Easy Ed Macauley was a great player, all-star, he was the whole Celtics team before Russell. But ultimately he has no rings and was only here 6 years. I say no on Easy Ed.

23. Frank Ramsey was the leagues first sixth man, 7 rings, very important part of the team's first championship. Kentucky Colonel is important... i'm on the edge about him.

25. KC Jones. Defensive minded guard, started after Cousy retired, VERY important. But the numbers don't even come close to warranting a retired number. Maybe later as a coach, but it's a no from me.

31. Cedric Maxwell (and Mikki Moore) I think Max definitely makes it in, Finals MVP, Starter for a championhip, high efficiency, good numbers. Get in there Cornbread.

KC Jones is in the Hall of Fame as a player, I'm pretty sure. I don't understand that exactly.

I take Ramsey over Satch Sanders. I agree on Ed Macauley.

19. Semih wears 86 because we have so many numbers retired.
    We should retire Semih's number too.

Semih wears 86 cause he’s wierd… There are plenty of normal numbers left.

isn't 10 retired? why was Ray allowed to wear it in the bottom pic? ;)

I just think there are ways to honor guys without prohibiting the use of a #

Also what a player did on his prior teams should have no bearing. Son in the past 4 season has Ray contributed more ti the Celtics than Rondo? So are we ready to retire Rondo's number?

22. .chuckT. says:

#20 will be hanging in the Garden.
    -He has a championship w/ the C's (hopefully he can win another one or two here)
    -He is breaking 3pt records with the C's

I dont think there is any reason why Rays jersey shouldnt be retired after he retires (along with #5 and of course #34).

23. You know who this is says:

What about Scal?

24. I'm so excited that Boston retired my number (from da first time!) I loved all you in Beantown!

25. They should retire Joe Johnson's number too

26. Yo Mike! They did retire my number man... that's cold dog.

They will retire #5,34,20 for sure. 22 years without a championship, many years without playoffs and several years with first round exits...these guys have been VITAL for the franchise in times when the league has got global and bigger than ever. Of course it's well deserved that their numbers are retired. And the same will happen to Rondo's.

We still have plenty of numbers available, and if a player doesn't want to wear #51 or #29 then he is not worth the chance to be a part of this franchise.

Nothing wrong with Erden's #86, it's nice :)

28. Hilary says:

Yes, yes, yes. Both Ray and KG should have their numbers retired. Ray's individual merits are laid out already. But also...

Bill Russell has talked about how he didn't really want his number retired since it was a team game... but he was OK with it because the Celtics put all the numbers together in a grid on a few banners, so he was still surrounded by his teammates.

Pierce's 34, without question, is going up there. And I want him to be surrounded by his teammates. I don't want to look up and see 34 alone, like it's Pass to Pierce and Pray days. I want to see it near 5 and 20, like it's the return to glory. :)

Retire #20, 5, and 34.

30. clutch_9 says:

Ray Allen's number should definitely be raised to the rafters.

I think the Celtics have been too lenient with selecting who's numbers to retire. At this pace, before 2018 there will be less than 20 number remaining to use, and then what?

If Ray retire as a Celtic, then we ALL KNOW his number will be raised, as well as Paul's and Kevin's. And if Rondo finishes his career here too the Celtics wouldn't hesitate to but his number in Gold.

They should take down some of the retired numbers, such as Cedric Maxwell [31], KC Jones [25], and Easy Ed Macauley [22]

31. no way, its be really disrespectful to take down anyone's numbers. but i do think that each of the big 4 merits number retirement