Boston Globe

Stephen A. Smith, the ubiquitous but undeniably well-sourced reporter/personality, said he believes so, telling Dan Patrick on the latter's radio show this morning that Rasheed Wallace will come out of retirement to give the Celtics some front-line depth in the playoffs.

Smith said Wallace, a 15-year veteran who retired after averaging 9.0 points per game last season with the Celtics, told him the plan is to come out of retirement because he wants another shot at the Lakers in the NBA Finals.
Please no. We replaced you already with Jermaine and Shaq. They're doing fine. It's nice to see big men actually play inside the 3 point arc. You were out of shape last year despite being on a professional basketball team. Imagine your stomach rolls this year after being away from the game? With the new technicals rule you'd just be giving the other teams extra free throws and you'd be suspended in no time.

If you hadn't been a dumbass in Game 4 versus Orlando last Spring and gotten a technical in the 4th quarter we sweep the Magic and are more rested and healthy for the Lakers. Then you wouldn't have thrown out your out of shape back in Game 5 versus the Magic and not have enough to play major minutes in just the one game we needed you in the Finals. Yes you gave it your all in Game 7, but your neglected body only could give us 1 decent half.

You're bored now. Just play some NBA Jam and wait until your new house is built on the West Coast. Stop with this coming back nonsense. We're better off with Semih as our 6th big.

JR 1/11/2011 12:20:00 PM Edit

Disagree. I want Sheed.I just do, it's my gut feeling.

We have enough bigs with Semih, Jermaine, Shaq, Perk, Baby and Harangody. I like our team as is, we just need to get healthy!

Not to mention KG. My guess is 'Sheed keep telling the Celtics, "I'm coming back," and they respond with a joking "Okay." That's where 'Sheed got the idea that it's "the plan."

4. Not sure about this one yet. Would not want him for the full season but I'm not sold on Jermaine O'Neal staying healthy.

semih sucks id want sheed over semih no matter how old and out of shape sheed is

6. You guys are taking it too hard on big sheed ... I think I would have sheed over Semih and Jermaine ... yeah these guys are all old but Rasheed is a GREAT player for his position and size

7. Three Toe says:

SHEED IS NOT THE ANSWER,THE CELTICS UNFORTUNATELY NEED TO GET YOUNGER AND FASTER!

9. I've said this time and time again, there is only one reason to sign Sheed: If KG or Perk sustains a season-ending injury. In said case, they would need another big on the bench, and he does know the team and offense. Saying that, we really don't need him.

10. Agreed with Three Toe. Wish that was possible. Not sure why Sheed tries to make the game so much harder on himself.

11. Stephen A posted on Twitter that it was months ago that Sheed was teasing and said this. He said he hasn't spoke to him in months and it sounds like he is backtracking on what he said, so who knows.

I personally don't want Sheed back for a couple of reasons.
    1. He wasn't in shape all last season even when he was playing. I can't imagine the shape he'll be in after not playing.

2. If the bigs we have now are healthy, we don't need Sheed. What we have are plenty.

3. I honestly believe that the officiating in that last quarter was solely to keep Sheed from getting another ring. The refs hated him throughout his career and with good reason for the most part. There was no way they were going to let him win another ring. I think Sheed knew this and that's why he went to the Refs locker room and demanded to talk to them.

Well take anyone with a ring this year BostonCeltics attacking with all the veterans

13. Dirtyundees says:

Get rid of semih and bring back sheed for 5 min a game.even sheed can give you 5 hard minutes a game. :)

Semih has potential to be a solid big man. Let's not forget that he has been playing injured. I don't want to release an up and coming big man for a has been who jacks up threes like they are going out of style. Our team is fine. People tend to panic when we start to lose games, but when/if we get healthy we have the best team in the league from top to bottom. Hopefully we get all our pieces back after all-star break and get back on track

We don't want Sheed. We already got Shaq, KG, Baby, Jermaine, Luke, Perk, and Semih. If we need a center, we'd take him. We don't need 4 centers. Go to some place that needs a good center... like Phoenix. LOL

16. Mikki Moore says:

Hey what about me?

You know my oppinion on this one. Just in case: [high pitched affected voice]: Never!
    Some people say Shaq should be already retired, that he is just a fat dude now. Well look at Shaq and remember last year's TLC. I'd take Perk walking up and down the court with a cane in his hand over this guy any day.

It would be great that Sheed would be back. He knows how to win and he was vital in the playoffs for us last year. He is a winner

I can't believe how people wouldn't like Sheed back in a limited role with this team...unbelievable

20. Ditryundeese says:

Send semih is injured anyway.Semih is going to need surgery soon.And probaly wont make it to the playoffs with his shoulder.They should keep semih under contract for next year and sign rasheed now.

21. Yes, Thanks.

I like Sheed. He's incredibly skilled.
    He has that priceless veteran saavy and know-how.
    He showed me more during last years playoffs than what Semih could possibly show me this entire year.
    Go get that very much needed & critical shoulder surgey, Semih.
    We really appreciate you, Sheed.

Talent, experience, skills...he offers different things than Shaq or JO. He would just ADD to our team. He has the guts and he plays hard when it counts...which is exactly what he would do, be ready for the playoffs.

I have one rule: talent and skills prevail. We have good coaching and vets. No danger.

And by the way, he's not a center. He can play the 4 and open some space for a center too. He can shoot from long and mid range and play inside too. He can defend too. He complements our bigs.

In any case, I doubt he is going to be back...but if there was a chance I would bring him back.

23. Three Toe says:

I agree with Three Toe.

24. Three Toe says:

Also, is anyone else completely NOT surprised that KG isn't back yet? Not knocking the big guy, just the repeatedly overly-optimistic recovery dates D:

Sheed's a great offensive and defensive player. He's also a great player to be around. We don't need to let go of anyone to get him back.
    NEED4SHEED.

wait and see about kg,if he return healhty then forget about sheed.we need to get younger and faster and semid can shoot the 3s plus when he play he did al right.we need to be patient.we dont need to loose games against teams like houston,new jersey,toronto etc.we are an experience.last year we were 1:39 to became champs.we choked at the end plus perk didnt play because his injury the game before.be patience,we will be at the finals agains this year.go celtics!!!!!

27. its me says:

Why not? bring him back! erden NEEDS to have shoulder surgery and 'sheed would fill in fine for him in a limited role of like 7-8 minutes a game. also if you've watche the last few games you see big baby getting owned by taller players and yeah that'll be better when kg gets back but kg cant stop them fo 35-40 minutes a night and they take advantage of big baby. so sign himlet him play a limited role and then when we play the tim duncans and carlos boozers throw kg and sheed at them all game.

you know what I gotta to say to this... Why Not?. Ask yourself why not?, Sure Sheed was out of shape last year, and to tell you the truth he probably is even more out of shape then he was from last year. But at playoffs who would you rather have Sheed or Semih/Luke, let me answer that for you in playoff time Luke and Semih won't even see court time, and we all know Shaq and JO can only give his good quality 10-12 minutes. Remember how it took KG all of last season to get back to health maybe Perks' full potential would take a little time as well, I'm not trying to give you all bad news Just the fact that if we had a chance to compete for First again why not!. Sheed as well as both O'neals can give you a good 15-17 minutes Max.. in the Post season and we all know Big Baby is good he is a role player but he is also undersized. i dont wanna jinx anything but the chances of our team being completely healthy is a 90%. I would love to see Sheed back on the court and so will the entire Boston Community.

'Sheed wouldn't be taking Semih's minutes. He'd be taking Perk's, Shaq's or Baby's. You only can play 4 bigs. As is, Jermaine O'Neal looks like he'll be the odd man out (obviously also behind KG). So we'd be cutting a player for 'Sheed to be at the end of the bench. It will be hard enough for Doc to manage the egos of the guys not getting PT once Perk returns. Add in 'Sheed to the mix and ubuntu goes out the window.

Now let's say both O'Neals get injured seriously? Then maybe. MAYBE.

Well J'ONeal is going to be injured forever. So getting Sheed would be a good fit. 1x NBA Champion, 4x NBA All-Star, 7x East Finals appearance...I'll take him, but hope he'll keep down with the technicals even though he's greatly known for that!

Let sheed come back koz i think he is a better player than O'neal J.the guy did what he could last year, like any of them, stop complaining.

32. shelbyl says:

"If we can get him to sigh a contract saying the only thing he'll do on offense is that unstoppable bank shot that he mastered from just outside the low-post, I'm on board."

I'm with Three Toe on this one.

And I would like to add that saying that without Sheed in some games of the Orlando series we wouldn't have won so it's unfair to say that thanks to getting ejected we lost a chance to be fresher in the Finals. I understand that some people don't like Sheed but let's be fair: he didn't cost us the title, he was vital to almost get us one. There's a big difference.

Ugh, I'd prefer Bill Russell or Kevin McHale at this point to Sheed, aka Dennis Scott 2.0.

it's about the lakers babie