“The bottom line is, why would he want to play in Minnesota?” a senior member of Rubio’s camp said this month. “He’ll continue to say all the diplomatic things, and Minnesota needs to keep his value up for trade purposes, but the family’s preference is to be on the East Coast, specifically New York, Miami or Boston. He wouldn’t be troubled if he has to stay another year.”
Well every other Celtics blog seems to be posting this as a rumor, so I figured I might as well (Damn peer pressure). Nowhere is it said that Boston is his preference mind you. I take it as the East Coast is closest to his home in Spain and on the East Coast, Boston, New York, and Miami are all cities with good basketball teams and significant Spanish speaking populations. That said for fun I'll ask the following question: In the offseason would you trade Rajon Rondo for Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio?
Feel free to comment on your reasoning.

JR 1/23/2011 02:21:00 PM Edit

1. The Coach says:

NO WAY YOU DO THIS DEAL!

Love is terrific, Rubio is far from certain, NO NO NO

Rondo is the man, he will be a Celtic for life!

So even if I would love the C's to have a Spaniard at last I wouldn't even consider the thought of trading Rajon for him...it's blasphemy! :P

Rubio has a bright future but I doubt he would fit here...in any case he would have to accept a back up role and 15 minutes a game here: enough for a top draft pick?

Ricky would be better in a team like Phoenix, New York...he loves to run and he has a great IQ but here and in our current format he is not a good fit.

Rudy Fernandez however...it would be another story lol

3. mrkC says:

hell no!

rondo is arguably the best celtic in our roster.. you cant disrupt the chemistry for an unknown kid from spain..

and I agree to Bohemian Rudy Fernandez will be great as a celtic!

Kevin Love, I like. Not sure about Rubio...but Rondo only dishes assists the most these days instead of a scorer.

mrkC, Rubio is not unknown. The fact that he hasn't played in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have a career. In fact he has started a brilliant career...but we just don't know how well will he adapt to the NBA.

In any case, I hadn't thought of Rudy while exploring Danny's trade possibilities :P

6. No F'ing way. Rubio hasn't proven anything in this league. I'll take the sure thing in rondo.

Rubio and Rondo yeah...Rubio FOR Rondo? NOOOOOOOOOO! :) Not even if they add Love in any trade. Seriously, Rondo is the present and the future, the face of the franchise for years to come

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! NO! ARE U CRAZY?

I should make up a trade rumor every day. Love how riled up people are. ;) lol. Tomorrow Perk and Ray for Kobe? Hahaha

I do not want to bewilder Bohemian, still, Rubio hasn't proven anything. I might be remembering it wrong but I do think he absolutely choked against Lakers in the off-season and I do not mean the team (Barca eventually won the game in question) but him specificaly and he went against Derek Fisher. Not enough emphasis. HE CHOKED AGAINST DEREK FISHER!!! DEREK FISHER MADE HIM INVISIBLE! OR WORSE!!!
    OK. Now, would you want to trade a guy who is amongst the top PGs in the league for a dude that dominates Europe, has yet to play a NBA game, has issues with english (and that is something hard to overlook at his position) and even though he was drafted two years ago remains in europe? I know I wouldn't. Love is real and proven but in my opinion, this team needs a strong point guard more.

11. dave w says:

kobe can never be a celtic he is hated in celtic nation for one. back to rubio, i like the kid but in no way shape or form is he worth trading rondo. rondo is the future and the leader of our team. kevin love is nasty but still i cannot give up on rondo. it would be wrong

12. I wouldn't trade Harangody for Kobe,haha.

Nice Karl. That can be Tuesday's rumor! ;)

Ok Jenda, I'm hearing the Wolves are upping their offer and are now willing to also include Chris Webber... I mean Dark Milicic. :p

no kobe. id never want him on my team.
    rondo as a celtics for life, would be a hell of a good thing

Jenda what about if the Celtics also include your guy Delonte? ;)

For the record I voted "no" to the trade, but at least considered voting "possibly."

Jenda, I am bewildered LOL hehe

Take a look at his resumé:

2008 Olympics Basketball Tournament: Silver Medal
    2009 FIBA European Championship: Gold Medal
    2010 Euroleague champion with Barcelona

Some personal achievements:

MVP of the FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: he averaged 22.3 points, 12.8 rebounds, 7.1 assists, 6.5 steals. In the final, accumulated 51 points, 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals.

2× led the Spanish ACB League in steals: (2007, 2009)

Won the Spanish ACB League Rising Star Award: (2007)

3× FIBA European Young Player of the Year: (2007, 2008, 2009)

2× Spanish ACB League's Best Point Guard: (2008, 2010)

2× All-Spanish ACB League Team: (2008, 2010)

Mr. Europa European Player of the Year: (2008)

Spanish ACB League Defensive Player of the Year: (2009)

Catalan Tournament MVP: (2009)

Euroleague Rising Star: (2010)

Won the Spanish ACB League Top 5 Trophy: Most Spectacular Player of the Year (2010)

And he had a bad game against an NBA team. One game!

The guy can play, that's for sure

19. shelbyl says:

This trade can work in about 2-3 years, definitely not today.

We don't know what's coming after the Big Three era. Are we going to have another Ubuntu, a D-intensive, a PG-scoring-driven game, what's our frontcourt going to be like, will we have star players?

Rondo has become the PG he is under the current system. Yet we do not know whether he can be as efficient under a different structure. Team USA experience this summer has given us some clues about that.

So, if Celtics want to go in a different direction after the Big Three + Shaq + Doc retire, then yeah, this trade might indeed do good. Yet if we're going to make another run next year, it would disrupt everything.

no disrespect to Rubio and Love (if anything). but Rondo is a better player, i'm sure Danny wouldn't do anything to ship Rondo out elsewhere. i would personally walk around the Garden protesting with a sign, "say NO to Rubio! without Rondo, C's wouldn't Run Though" okay maybe it's not the greatest sign in the world.. but, what I'm trying to say is that Rondo knows how and when to control the team. something Rubio needs TIME to learn, PLENTY of TIME. like the HEAT :O

lets GO C's!
    dRU

21. I wouldn't do the trade, and no way would I trade Gody for Kobe Karl. He's just too valuable.

oh and one more thing, Rubio is the Deron Williams of Europe. different system we got going here in the NBA, but Rubio can come off the bench for us, lol.

dRU

lol at your sign dRU :)

He may have some things in common with KG though:

LOL

25. Eric Leckner says:

Informative

HELL NO, with rajon gone, west would be leading the team :O:O

When the big three is washed up and retired, who would I rather have Rondo on a team with Perk or a team with Rubio, Love & Perk? Hmmmm...I'd trade Rondo in a heart beat. We're gonna have to rebuild when the big three retire anyway. It's a great deal.

Rubio looks great----but not trading for rondo---no!!!

OK, ShelbyL can just STFU. Lol!

30. shelbyl says:

Whose face do you want me to smack up, anonymous?

Use the object pronoun properly next time in order to avoid ambiguity.

No way its just a stupid move if its happened i will pack my things and go to cleveland!

32. A Rondo trade is not impossible when the Big Three exits Boston. Still, I'd rather have the team built around Rondo than have him leave... We just need a big man in the middle to complement his game... We just need...

DWIGHT HOWARD.

lol. seriously.... i'm dreaming ... but seriously ...

because we can't wait for BLAKE GRIFFIN in 2015 ;)

Hah, OK, if delonte was thrown in, I might consider it. lol
    No, just kidding!
    Bohemian, that's precisely what I have said. Only I was nice to him saying he dominates europe. He has his hands full with Spain. ;) The kid can play but I don't think being a dominant player among his peers in Spain means he's going to be good in NBA. Plus you have sent a picture of him eating balls. I don't think any NBA team wants to have a guy in the locker rooms who likes to eat balls. lol

hahahaha! He has also played well outside of Spain, Jenda. He has played international ball with the national team in the Olympics and European Championships, also with Barcelona and Badalona... He is what...20? What did other players had at 20? Some were still in college, other were at the end of the bench in some team. Let's face it, the kid has been brilliant so far.

the "hahaha" was about the pic :P

I just wanted to show that he does similar things to KG when he hits the ball against his head hehe

As you know, his team plays every week against the elite of the European basketball and in the summer he plays against the elite of the national teams in Europe and worldwide.

He doesn't play against his "Spaniard" colleagues...he plays in the best European domestic league (ACB) and in the best European championship (Euroleague). The best American players either play here or Greece ... and also in Russia for CSKA or in Israel for Maccabi, which in my opinion could be better than some teams there are currently in the league and not only the Kings.

Rubio can play at this level and he can do it very well. I don't mean he dominates because in fact Euro basketball is team oriented and in a different style. As you know there are less 1 on 1 plays and the defense is very tough.

I am saying all this in case someone hasn't watched too much Euro basketball in the States...not for you Jenda ;)

The question is: is Rubio's style a fit for the NBA? That we will see. But remember: some players just don't adapt to that style (Sasha Djordjevic was one of the best guards I've ever seen and he didn't last much there...and many other cases) but also some American players are neither fit for Europe. We play differently here too.

Different worlds, same rules, same balls LOL

By the way I recommend this vid in English:

I would do it in a heartbeat.
    No disrespect to Rondo's game, but there isn't a thing he can do that Rubio can't...
    Rubio is prolly the better defender and he may be the better passer...

Both players have a well-documented void in their game in the jumpshot area...

I mean: not anybody could set up his teammates like Rondo does, but a pass-first, talented point guard such as Rubio should do the trick...
    And come on: Love!

Even straight-up, Rondo for Love would be an OK deal if the Cs had another young PG... which they would have in Rubio...

This trade proposal is pure science-fiction, 'cuz there's no way Minny would take that offer...

You people (NBA fans, not Cs fans) need to stop overrating your own players and underrating others.

I just came off a blog where I read that Rose is leaps and bounds better than Rondo (which is pure homerism) and there we go with "Rondo is leaps and bounds better than Rubio"...

I understand you have to inflate your players' value to not get screwed in deals, but don't overdo it!

An All-Star caliber player for an All-star caliber player and one of the best prospects of the last 5 years?
    You do it in a heartbeat. No matter how much you love Rondo, he's not THAT good.

Man, 75% of people coming to this site are gonna feel pretty stupid in a few years... I mean, even if Rubio turns out to be only decent (read: Raymond Felton, Andre Miller), it's still an awesome deal!

Actually I don't watch THAT much european ball. Let's admit it, the lack of athleticism makes it much more boring than NBA. Also the reason I was against the changes of rules somebody posted an article here about six months ago.
    Or was it not here?

40. I knew something was up with Ricky.

I posted a funny song I wrote about him not wanting to go to Minnesota a while back.

They actually took offense to it in Spain.

41. Emili Paz says:

Bohemian, I'd agree with this ---> Rubio is not unknown. The fact that he hasn't played in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have a career. In fact he has started a brilliant career...but we just don't know how well will he adapt to the NBA.

It is funny that most of the people here commenting on Rubio's game have hardly seen him play or know his game. While I do admit that Rubio is not a great fit for the Celtics, it does not mean that he won't flourish in the league.

there is no way in heck, minnesota would agree to this deal.. minnesota needs a quantity of good players and trading two potential pieces for 1 makes no sense