Prepare to be Perk'd
As Celtics fans we all should be ecstatic right now. The Celtics are 14-4 and on a 5 game winning streak. Even better, the Lakers have lost 4 in a row and the Heat are in shambles. It's a great time to be a Celtics fan.  We are hitting on all cylinders. KG looks as healthy as he has since the 2008 title run, Big Baby is making a case for 6th man of the year, Ray is hitting clutch shots, and Rondo is chasing John Stockton's assist record.

The most surprising thing of all might be Shaq's rebirth. I for one was expecting Shaq to be a 10-15 minute player, grab a few rebounds, and basically be put in to help us against the Magic and Lakers. It turns out he's playing the best basketball since his 2006 title run with the Heat. This is why I think some people may have forgotten a little about the beast that is Kendrick Perkins.

Kendrick Perkins embodies what it means to be a Celtic. He's hard working, tough, and doesn't back down from anyone. The only time I've ever seen him smile was in a wedding photo that I'm convinced  was photoshopped. He's the best defensive center in the league and his injury last year was arguably the reason we lost Game 7.  We need him to be productive when he comes back in February.

The question is, do we keep Shaq in the starting lineup if he continues to play at his current level? Or do we put Perk back in as a starter right away. I assume Doc will start Perkins and he should. Not only is Perk the better all around player at this point in his career, but I think it would better serve Shaq to come off the bench and rest those old bones.  Think about this for a second. Say Perk gets a couple early fouls. Instead of having to move KG or Davis to center we bring in questionably the greatest center of all time. Then we have the option to bring in former 5 time all star Jermaine O'Neal(assuming he is healthy). Our interior depth is incredible. Who is going to rebound against us?

Also, all of the articles I've read have talked about how hard Perk was working to get back as soon as possible. How he was using Wes Welker(one of the greatest human beings of all time) as motivation. This is the type of player the NBA should highlight. Not prima donnas like Lebron and Kobe.

The fact that we are playing like this without our top interior defender in Perk should make Celtics fans jump for joy. This is just the tip of the iceberg. As the season goes on I expect the Celtics to continue to improve and by May they should be at the top of their game.

Karl Dillinger 12/02/2010 01:02:00 PM Edit

Love Perk and Shaq, but don't get carried away. Bill Russell is the greatest center of all time.

After The Return (as I expect ESPN doing a two day special about it) I don't see much regular season games with both O'Neals available. Shaq must be already playing through some crazy pains.

3. should've said most dominant center of all time which I think Shaq was.

Cant wait for Perk to get back on the court!
    Not to take anything from Big Perk, but i think KG is our best defender. Well, best BIG defender, and Rondo is the best SMALL defender.
    I mean, he was named Defensive Player of the Year just 2 years ago, and now he is looking like he did 2 years ago - you know, with the knee back to normal and what not.

5. RoswellSounds says:

Nice piece, Karl. Always full of heart.

Never forgot about Perks. Every single one of us will go totally crazy when he returns to the field. Can´t wait to see the big fella smashing bodies out there! Hopefully, Kendrick will be COMPLETELY recovered.
    We are enjoying this season, and with Perkins back on the squad, it will be fantastic.

Oh, and the remark of Perks´s photoshopped wedding pic was hilarious!

1 2 3 UBUNTU!!!

6. Tom says:

Perk should not play more than 24 minutes a game this year.
    More like 15. Doc could blow everyones mind and play 1 center each quarter. As it is , I predict 1 center out of the rotation for rest/recovery once Perk is back, giving Shaq & Semi some recoup time.

7. Agreed Anonymous Garnett when healthy is our best defender but Perk isn't far behind. Also agree Tom, we need to give Shaq and Perk rest.

One correction - had Perk not been injured in game 6 last year, there would not have been a game 7...Celts would have finished it right then in game 6.

9. Karl says:

Good call. One more correction, I'd have to say Perk is second best defensive center next to Dwight Howard. I was caught up with Perk love!

10. Great piece Karl. Anytime you give Perk some love you get my attention! I think Perk is going to come back better than ever. He has been working really hard on his shot and free throws and I think that is going to help him when he comes back. Perk was the anchor of the Celtics defense. KG is a great defender, but Perk anchored the defense. And yes, I think D Howard is probably the best defensive center but Perk is a close second.

I can't wait for his comeback. This will be his 8th season in Boston and we've seen his development during the years. He will make our team stronger defensively. With him, KG, Shaq, Baby and JO? we will be a monster in the paint. Compare that to the O'Bryant, Moore past memories...lol

Perk is and will be a beast!

Nice article in the Herald today:

13. Andy R says:

The greatest Center of all time was Bill Russell hands down and after him it was Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. I will grant that Shaq was probably the most dominant Center of his time but that is as far as it goes. When Perk comes back I think he should be gradually phased back into the lineup and not all or nothing. Shaq is playing well and if this works, Perk will be back full strength by the playoffs with Shaq being rested and coming off the bench. That will be fun to watch

Perk will never be forgotten!!! =) I cant wait to see that game face on the court, although I think he does a great job scaring the opposing teams right from the bench! haha