WEEI

Kevin Garnett just released the following statement in reaction to Charlie Villanueva’s accusations on Twitter following Tuesday night’s Celtics-Pistons game:

"I am aware there was a major miscommunication regarding something I said on the court last night. My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact ‘You are cancerous to your team and our league.’ I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure. I have lost loved ones to this deadly disease and have a family member currently undergoing treatment. I would never say anything that distasteful. The game of life is far bigger than the game of basketball."
Who's story are you buying? KG's or Villanueva's?

JR 11/03/2010 05:04:00 PM Edit

1. fiorelladad says:

Adrian W wrote a hate article in Yahoo! about this almost burning Garnett to the stake. And Kelly Dwyer wrote another bomb too. They didn't wait for KG's side either. Now let's see if they are both professional enough journalists to print a retraction with the same passion that they wrote these articles.
    Also if CV had a problem with trash talking on court he would have handled it like a man: if you can't back your talk with your play and are afraid of League repercussions for the way you handle a situation then you call the guy after the game and settle it like men. In private, between them as it should be not like a scared little tattle tale. God I miss the 80's NBA.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard KG during a game you could imagine him saying, "You are cancerous to your team and our league." He's much more R rated than that. Seems a little like someone rote some PR spin control for him. Regardless, Villanueva is still a punk for using twitter to tattle and threaten fights. Do it on the court or in person.

I agree this was blown out of proportion due to yahoo news.

Look at Poppovich in that picture lol

Whether or not he used the terminology that CV pusstweeted or not, it should be handled amongst themselves.

Lol at the term "pusstweeted."

7. We all say things on occasion in the heat of the moment. If KG did say this comment Im sure he now wishes he hadn't. All this talk about it is unnecessary. Is CV gonna cry every time someone says something to him out of the way on the court? MAN UP!

8. Patti says:

Another instance where the public is overreacting...just like the fight in the locker-room. These are grown men...JUST LET THEM PLAY BALL!!!! GO CELTICS--I STILL LOVE YA KG!

@fiorelladad
    I agree. I just read the article on Yahoo! and it was kind of ridiculous. He was ripping KG throughout the article (I think there were a few sentences where he said some good things about Garnett). But if Charlie V had a problem with what KG said he should have said something to him on court, not wait till after the game like a bitch and post that "pusstweet"-lol. He just wanted to make KG look bad after KG dominated him in that game. Im not sure Garnett said those exact words on court, but it doesnt really matter because we will never know cause there always is two sides to every story.
    Whether or not Garnett called him a cancer patient, I think this should have been handled on court, then nobody would have known about it. Not Yahoo!, not ESPN, not ANYONE! (its kind of stupid because this was a 'BREAKING NEWS' headline on ESPN.)

To me this thing is over. All the people calling for a KG apology got essentially what they wanted. Time to move on.

Totally agree with you JR. This is obvious PR. But still, I don't see the need to apologize or even explain something that happened on the court, or as Danita called it, in the heat of the moment.

12. i think all of us at the heat of the moment, playing our favorite sport, would say such things even to our closest friends that we're competing with...

i have... it sucks, but it's good my buddies know it's just on the floor.

well, all's said and done. let's all keep moving forward. looking forward to Nov 12 already.

13. Jeff Twiss says:

Wait that's what I said...I told KG to make that announcement.

14. We have a serious issue going on here and all you can add TB is "look at Popovich"?!

And it's not over JR, it's just beginning. You watch all the backlash this gets. When the Celtics are invited to speak at children's hospitals the patients will vehemently turn down KG. They'll want a visit from Charlie V.

15. ThomasJ says:

Norman "we have a serious issue here" - what world do you live in? Even if KG said something like that, equally offensive and distasteful things are said on the court/field on a regular basis. Charlie V just decided to do the bitch in a pussy tweet and make an issue of it in a way that wasn't available in the past.

Next.

16. Three Toe says:

To be honest, I think KG is lying through his teeth to make himself look better. It's obviously insensitive to say something like that but you dont have to try to draw sympathy from the public. With that said, I feel bad for the Pistons cause they are terrible.

So who all will be buying the poster that KG put Bogut into tonight?!!
    KG today = KG of 08 !!

18. GreenBlood23 says:

I think people are taking the "You are cancerous to your team and our league." too literally like that's the exact words he said. It's more on explaining what he actually said, I could imagine KG actually saying "You're a f**kng cancer!". And people saying KG is lying, what gives CV credibility exactly, just because he's got Alopecia? It's just really too easy for people to jump to conclusions this days. He should just stop tweeting til the Pistons actually get a win. Looks like they're the new "New Jersey Nets of last year" at the moment.

This whole thing is just ridiculous.

First of all, I am sure KG said something hardcore to Villanueva as a part of his trash talking and it wasn't nice of course. So what? A normal person would just stand on his ground and face KG and reply with some other bomb or something. I mean that's what I'd do. In any case, this isn't the 80's league...Villanueva goes to cry on tweeter and clearly manifest that he'd like to hit KG. Who is the aggressor here? And who is the biggest loser? I think it's clear that it's Villanueva who has behaved like a baby and like a mean person later because he uses it to denigrate the image of KG where he shouldn't

Charlie, Charlie! You have a problem, grow up already