I find that it's always easy to say who should not get cut or who deserves to stay when picking a team. We've seen this on this site with proponents of Erden and Gaffney pleading their cases. It's one of the hardest things for coaches at any level to do- tell someone who wants to be a part of the team that there's no room. With the way the Celtics roster stands, guarantees for this year include last year's starting 5, the O'Neal brothers, Baby, Nate, Marquis, and Bradley. Unless a trade goes down those 11 are on the opening night roster. That leaves 4 spots for 5 realistic picks.

One must understand that things can change drastically in camp, but going into camp if you were Danny Ainge which 4 would you keep if you had to choose today? By default that means the one you leave out should be your vote. Don't be shy. I know it's a cruel thing to do, but make your cut (and add your reasoning in the comments if you like). No chickening out nice people.

JR 9/24/2010 01:08:00 AM Edit

Tough to say, but I voted for Gaffney to be cut. To me, Wafer and West have to make the team. Then you can't teach height and the Celtics need a center behind the old legs of the O'Neals and the hurt knee of Perk. Between Harangody and Gaffney, I like more the little of what I've seen of Gody. He was a draft pick by Ainge, in the shape of a Ryan Gomes and Leon Powe second round selection...he looked very good in summer league.

So to me, if I had to cut one of those 5...it would be Gaffney

Totally rooting for this guy to stick, but I voted for Gaffney. I think West could be our top reserve, so he's a no brainer. Out of the other 4, Gaffney is actually the oldest (4 days older than Perk) and didn't play well in Summer League. Neither did Erden, but he's younger and several people have vouched for his skills, so I'm going to give our readers the benefit of the doubt. Wafer again is younger than Gaffney and just seems like he'd give more to a team looking for one last shot at a title this year. Now if he's going to pout if he gets booted from the rotation when West returns than he could be the one to go and Gaffney recalled.

Came down to Harrangody and Gaffney, but Gody is 3 plus years younger and he outplayed Tony in the Summer. People get a little too excited in Celtics Nation about "long" 3's or power 3's. Is Gaffney really better than project Brandon Wallace a few years ago? So if I had to pick now, Gaffney gets the boot. If he outplays Gody in camp, then Gody gets the boot. If Erden completely sucks I don't care if he was 7'6" he gets cut. And if Wafer is a headcase he's gone. But as of 9/24 it's Gaffney.

p.s. In an ideal world I'd trade Marquis and one other player for a better less fragile small forward and no cuts would have to be made.

Oh yeah and props to Bohemian for being the first person to step up and announce their vote.

Everyone, don't forget to read his latest feature:

Thanks JR ;)

I can't wait until that October 6th preseason match against Philly. It's too bad Bradley is not ready yet :(

Yeah I was bummed to year about Bradley. I remember how excited I was back in the day when Dee Brown made his preseason debut and was looking forward to the same with Bradley. Hopefully he can play some at the end of preseason at least.

6. fresh says:

I read the question wrong and voted for the one guy i'd like to see us keep(delonte). for cuts, it'd be a toss up between erdin and gaffney.

7. ron says:

JR ur second post is like you read my mind or something,personally I would like to trade MD for a second round pick and why did we even sign him???I would rather have scal lol =)

West gets cut by me.
    a) I don't like him (that is not good enough reason, I know)
    b) while not mentioned by JR, West is the biggest threat in the headcase department.
    c) he's the oldest. He is not going to get any better and the Celtics have enough guards on similar level only with brighter future
    d) we all know Daniels is somewhat fragile and while I hope Harangody will be able to play SF, I didn't see enough of his defense and many times I've read here he isn't exactly the fastest on legs. Back to the point - do you want West to back up Pierce? I know I don't.

Jenda, West is the most talented of the mentioned players. You also have to consider that he's the only one (apart from the 08/09 season by Wafer) that has really proven to be a rotation player in this league (and hence his previous salary). He also knows the system and has already played with 4 guys in the roster (Paul, Perk, Rondo and Shaq). He is probably the best shooter of the 5 too...

Many reasons so as not to waive him as of September 24th ;)

I actually voted Erden to get cut. This team is trying to win right now. If he develops into a Darius Songalia level player and we lose out on him, oh well, I can still sleep easily.

It was close for me between him and Gaffney but maybe Gaffney has more to offer right now.

West and Wafer will be on this team barring a mental breakdown by either of them.

11. Tim says:

Gaffney just has not proved anything the Celtics need offense and sparks off the bench which Harangody brings. Erden should play cause no way the O'neals are gonna stay healthy and were up. by 20 play Erden for some experience.

i want delonte west to be cut because of his age. i want the celtics bench to be young and athletic. i mean they have rondo and nate off the bench that we saw last finals that he nate can really score points. and i want to see doc give more playing time to nate. erden will be their sittin to back up the oneal's, VW is young and will befinitelty shoot the three's or dunk on someone and harangody is a leon powe-like player...

trade marquis daniels or just waive him!!!ahahaha

Intriguing to see Wafer is also looking elsewhere just in case he is not chosen:

Yeah Bohemian. looks like it might come down to Gaffney or Wafer. I think Gaffney has a lot of heart and drive, but Wafer is the more talented player. gaffney has an opportunity to prove me wrong in the next couple weeks. I'd hate to cut wafer and then if delonte has some issues again ( read that he was at that college party in MA where someone got stabbed this weekend) were screwed.

Was hoping more people would comment here on who they voted for and why. If things look tight a couple weeks from now I'll probably put up a poll again and it will be easier to vote since people will have some preseason games to go off on.

That boy is trouble, I tell ya'! The preseason is behind the corner and with it comes the resolution.