Marc Stein via twitter
Allen and Celts have agreed on two-year deal worth $10 million annually that includes player option in Year 2.
Player options always suck for the team, because if the player has a good year they opt out and the only reason they stay for the option year is if their skills are less than their contract value. That said, this is a solid deal and I for one am excited. We still have some work to do if we truly want to give it one more run, but looks like the gang is all back.

Mike Saver's take:

Ray's signing with the Celtics so soon comes as a surprise to me. Since it was reported that Ray was waiting for the decisions of Bosh, Wade and LeBron, I thought a deal wouldn't be struck until atleast friday. Also, both Rivers and Ainge had said that working out a deal could last well into July. That now appears to be false.

Also the deal works out pretty well for the Celtics. It's been reported as either a $10m or $20m deal, either way Ray is coming back at a very low price. And for only two years with a player option the second year - the Celtics aren't tied to an aging player for, say 4 years. This is particularly surprising since Ray could have easily found a much better deal elsewhere, even on a contender like Chicago or perhaps Miami.

JR 7/07/2010 09:41:00 PM Edit

1. Haha I beat you JR!! you can just mix these two together if you want!

Lol. Yeah you beat me in my quest to add a pic. lol. I'll throw your Blakely thing on this post, but let the record show that Saver posted first. Happy? lol

3. Here's what I was going to write in my article.

2 years and 20 million is a deal???? C'mon we could have had Mike Miller for three years and 20 million!!!! This is a terrible deal! I like Ray's game but we need a transition from the old to the new, not from the old to the older...Next thing you know Ainge is gonna "lock up" Scalabrine on a "great deal"...Sign a Big Man to fill in for Perk and 'Sheed! Brad Miller knows the East and can defend and rebound...Ainge don't make me come for you!!!!!

5. Ray took a $9 million pay cut and only for two years. You're dissatisfied? Are you kidding me?

Just because you take a 9 MILLION DOLLAR pay cut doesn't mean you are worth something in the excess of 9 MILLION DOLLARS...

So if Shaq came to Boston for only 11 MILLION FOR EACH OF THE NEXT TWO SEASONS, would that be a "great deal"??? I mean he would be taking a 9 million dollar pay cut...are YOU kidding me????

yay Ray! great to have him back

Ray Allen is the man, way better than Miller. Anyone who thinks this is a bad deal needs to watch some basketball. The things Allen does OFF the ball are incredible. The dude is first class, best shooter of all time, team player and he took a pay cut to play with the celts again. Oh yea we were on our way to banner 18 before Perk, one of the youngest guys on the team, blew his knee out. Injuries can happen to anyone. Im proud to be a celtics fan today, thats for damn sure.

10. I think the greatest part of the deal is the 2 years, honestly - with the player option it could be just one. This gives us a shot at making another run next season but not tied up in aging veterans. So we could retool with some youth as the big three bow out. Ray could've gotten more than $10 million/year elsewhere plus a longer term deal - I don't think it's overpaying him.

11. ThomasJ says:

It's great deal considering the money out there and shows that Ray wants to be part of this team, at least for one more run with this group lead by Doc.

It never should be looked at like this season was the end, we should be defending a championship.

For you people screaming about younger Mike Miller, why break up this team to add a 30 year old guy who has never been as good as Ray.

The younger shooter out there who hasn't hit his ceiling already is JJ Redick.

12. i think Doc Rivers' mindset going to his (possibly) last season as a coach is to have his players think they're defending the title... having said that the Big 3 is back. Thank God Ray is back. when he's hot. he's hot.

now i just hope we could get younger and athletic corpses to add to our roster...

i really think ray deserves a good deal and this looks like one.

We should also sign tony allen plus a more athletic wignman/defender.

We should not sign shaq/kwame! Maybe ben wallace? wink! wink!

This is awesome news for the Celtics! The contract is fair in the $ and amazingly good in the length (2 years). Dream contract for both sides, Ray can control his fate better with that player option and the C's will probably start a new era in 2012 after the contracts of KG and Ray expire.

15. RoswellSounds says:

Damn, I was dying! The idea of Sweet Ray Allen leaving the C´s was an awful one. For the team, for Boston, and for me. I mean, you want your favourite player in your favourite team, right?

Come on Ray Ray! The big 3 is getting ready for one more shot...

16. shelbyl says:

People who b*tch about Allen's contract definitely don't know anything about mid-level exceptions, Early Bird rights and minimum contracts. Holy moly.

We CANNOT sign any free agents whose contracts will exceed 5.675 million/year. Besides, we can offer minimum contracts to rookies. We can only TRADE players we have.

So signing Allen is a GREAT move. His pay cut is the cream on top.

What a crazy world we live in these days.