Just as I was musing over all the guys that got away, Danny makes a move and signs Von Wafer.   Since Wafer isn't exactly a household name, here is a little info about him.

Wafer is 6'5" tall and 209 lbs.  He has played 4 years in the NBA for the Lakers, Clippers, Portland, Denver and Houston (07-08 was split between Portland and Denver).  Over those 4 seasons he averaged 6.2 ppg, 1.3 rpg,  and 0.8 apg in 13 minutes per game.  His best season was the 08-09 season in Houston where he averaged 9.7 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists in 19 minutes per game.  He shot 41% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc.

He signed a contract with the Greek Olympiacos Piraeus team in August of 2009.  In Euroleague play he averaged 7.7 points (on 50% shooting), 1.3 rebounds and 1.0 assists.  Midway through the season he received a buyout from the Greek team amid reports that they were happy to be rid of his attitude.  He signed a contract with the Grizzlies but failed his physical with the team and so that deal was off.   He then signed a contract with his former club, the Houston Rockets.   However, he also failed the physical with Houston and that contract was voided as well.   I think I'll wait until after the physical to get excited about this signing.

Don't forget to check out the Celtics Green Forums.

FLCeltsFan 7/29/2010 07:31:00 PM Edit

He had that good shooting game in Boston vs the Celtics I think 2 seasons ago. He's a better shooter than Tony Allen, haven't watched him play enough to know his defense. I would've preferred Delonte West.

Love Willie Green in that picture, looks like he's a ghost lol.

he had a great gm vs lakers in pl.offs 2yrs ago. good shooter/slasher... needs to slow down sometimes. as temper, but over all is a gd plyr.

I wanted us to grab him last Winter when he came back from overseas, but he failed some physicals which is troubling. I'm happy with the signing, but I hope this doesn't mean we're out of the picture for Rudy/Delonte.

4. ThomasJ says:

I still think we need to somehow add a big and Von, Rudy, and/or Delonte isn't what is needed for a championship run. Even IF Perk is back at 100% by the late season, more size will be needed for LA and that appears to be Miami weakest spot right now, too.

Oh, OK. I hope Doc and Danny can punch some sense in his head and teach him some morals. The number of clubs he played in (or should have played in) and his discipline issues could mean C's are getting new 'Sheed without the All-star history (or future for that matter), experience and spirit (which was frankly the only thing 'Sheed might have been bringing throughout the regular season).
    I want to see what happens.

6. shelbyl says:

Off-topic: I love Scalabrine!

Shaq is all the Celtics need to round out their roster of bigs, bring him in and you'll be able to dominate the inside just as the Lakers did to us last year. Can you imagine Shaq and the big ticket along with either perk and or Big baby?? now that is a formidable wall of Beef Jerky to try to chew threw....

Russ