Always look for the good. Always look at the bright side of life.

It's hard to absorb those clich├ęs when you see your team - the team you've watched all 82 regular season games, the team you saw play hard in every game of the playoffs, the team you saw play their hearts out in the 2010 NBA Finals until the last remaining seconds - lose.

After playing 106 games all-in-all, they fell short of attaining the highest prize.

Game 7 will undeniably be logged in history as a classic thriller. However, for the Celtics, the city of Boston and fans all over the world who were a witness to their championship run, it can only be called a heartbreaker.

They gave it all they've got in a last ditch effort to survive the intense hostility of the Laker crowd, with momentum and fate seemingly placed against them.

From one angle, it looked like their backs were not just against any wall - but the Great Wall of China - as they got outrebounded in both ends of the floor by Laker bigs and Kobe Bryant. Early fouls haunted them in the game and while they managed to maintain the lead for the most part in three quarters, it was obvious that by the start of the 4th, the momentum belonged to the Purple and Gold.

Even a last minute display of three-point barrages by Wallace, Allen, and Rondo were not enough to get them back into the game.

But they tried. They damn tried. And if you're a Celtic fan at heart, you gotta be proud by the tremendous and inspiring effort shown by our team.

This was a team that was underestimated from the start of the season, haunted by injuries, and finished 4th in the East in the regular season. They were ill-favoured to advance in the playoffs - some even predicted them to get knocked down in the first round. They have proven a lot to be in the position that they are in right now ... even if they fell one game short.

Sure, we have to absorb the after effects of the Laker bandwagon and millions of fans worldwide rooting for the defending champions. Sure, we're uncertain about how next season will turn out for Boston (who's staying, who's going, what’s gonna happen next and when are we going back to the Finals). Sure the memory of this Game 7 will haunt us for years and quite possibly, decades to come - along with the "what ifs" that accompany them.

But they tried. They damn tried.

I don't care if Paul Pierce said he isn't a legitimate Celtic if he doesn't win at least 2 championships ... because the TRUTH is, he is and forever will be.

I don't care about the talks on Ray Allen if he'll be traded to another team due to his age and inconsistency shooting the three. Yes, his first miss on the free throw line was in Game 7, but that doesn't eclipse his major contributions for Boston and him still being arguably the best 3-point shooter in the NBA.

I don't care if they think Kevin Garnett is already slow and old and might possibly be a liability next season. His primal scream in the Garden still rocks and he remains the Big Ticket, the team's defensive anchor, and a sterling example for future players in Boston on what it means to play with passion and pride.

Rajon Rondo's experience has just been taken to the next level. The same with Big Baby Davis and Tony Allen. It didn't kill them and it would only make them stronger.

Nate and Rasheed have only played a single season with the Green, but have given us a lot of memorable games where they have proven worthy to wear a Celtic jersey.

The bench stood up and rose to the challenge. All of them are worthy of our respect.

Doc Rivers, I hope you still stay next season. You don't have to light up another Red Auerbach cigar to know that you the man!

They will not be bringing home the trophy, but putting that aside, you can't ask for anything better than what the Boston Celtics have proven as a TEAM.

They tried. They damn tried. And while it hurts for the most part, knowing that they gave it their all is more than enough for me.

Gerald Alden 6/18/2010 03:44:00 AM Edit

Thanks for posting this Gerald. You say what a lot of us are thinking. While the season unfortunately ended unsuccessfully, I for one am very proud of the run we went on in the playoffs. And I truly believe if Perk doesn't go down in Game 6, we'd be champions right now. Doc's coaching this year was tremendous. He got every ounce out of this older squad. We just needed to stay healthy for a few more days.

2. You're welcome man. Anything to unload the pain, frustration and heartbreak. They will always be the best example, to me.. of the Best Team Playing Club in the NBA today. All my heart to the Boston Celtics.

Thanks for posting this. I am experiencing the repercussions coming forth from the Laker bandwagon..people are not ready to admit that they merely won by 4 pts (even though they did)..To me, these guys are not only great players on the court but they're also good and emotional human beings (atleast in public limelight and media's eyes, that's what we see)..So it just seems unfair that someone like Kobe Bryant(he is no Jordan, 6-25? really?) can walk away with 5 rings and all the groupies..Its just unfair in every aspect...but I love my Celtics and I am proud of them!

Talk about Lakers bandwagon, I live in Melbourne, AUS and I'm already being drowned by assholes who have most likely never watched basketball before claiming that they've been LA fans for life and didn't expect anything other than the win.

So proud of the C's and especially Sheed for stepping up big.
    We'll be back next year.

5. damn, this one hurt. especially for those of us who have been there the whole year, rooting throughout EVERY SINGLE GAME, seeing all the ups and downs, the scrutiny, the injuries, and the pain. it hurts a lot. thank you for posting. all we have is our pride, and our hope that we will (if not next year) rebuild a great team with a fantastic coach such as doc to lead us to #18.

Celtic Pride for life.

Yes,we will be back! Not with the same line-up though, I am interested in learning who'll be traded but it would hurt me to see anyone go coz I really like these guys together.

Didn't know there were bandwagoners as far as Melbourne! I mean most of them probably didn't know the names of 90% of players and then they're ready to trash talk. Its pretty funny in a certain way.

Yeah dude, there's some absolute douchers over here...

8. Very nicely written. I'm really glad I found this site and all you guys. I have nothing but high hopes and prayers for this off season. If we end up back together, I know we could win. I will always bleed Celtics green, and I am so proud to be a real fan.

I truly think my biggest pet peeve is bandwagon fans. Lakers have the most bandwagoners I have ever seen. Where do these people come from?! It's like as soon as it's playoff season they come from the sewers. They fly their stupid Lakers flags on their cars only when they win... and they just aren't true fans. They don't know stats or anything about basketball yet they loooovee the Lakers. They don't talk shit during the regular season because they forgot that the regular season exists. But let me tell you they are the first people to talk shit when they win a playoff game or finals. SIGHHHHHHH! I get so heated but I give it about a week until they go back to the sewers.

9. Karl says:

Great post! Was going to say the same thing. We had a great season and no one should hang their heads.

10. Thanks for all the comments and encouraging messages on my write-up. Took some time off from work and met up with my girlfriend. Even I couldn't believe myself when a few seconds later I was literally crying in her arms (sounds pretty lame, but I've absorbed far worse Laker fans and bandwagoners' comments here in Manila, Philippines in just a few hours after that final buzzer).

Partly out of undescribable horror and sadness (losing the banner and trophy by just 4 points) and partly out of frustration by immature Laker fans (a combination of real fans who go overboard in their comments, and those bandy wagony fans who just came out of their ordinary humdrum lives and suddenly felt like cheering for "Kobe Bryant" and the "Lakers" - because that's the only words they know in the NBA ... and suddenly they sound like basketball geniuses).

Sorry about that. I have cousins in LA and I congratulate them on their championship, but most importantly for treating me with respect.

Love you guys. Celtics! Celtics! Celtics! 1-2-3 UBUNTU!

11. Krisann Stein says:

This was a very hard loss for us. I live in Vegas and I hate living so close to LA because people who only watch the Finals are talking crap to me because I have my Celtic flag on my car and I wear my jerseys. I have been a Celtics fan my whole life. I have watched every game win or lose. When I didn't have the right channel I was checking the scores on my phone every 2 mins. I am heartbroken. We have the heart, the team and the skill. We should have won. My love for Boston will be with me till my dying breathe.

Now I must drive around in Vegas with my Celtics flag a flying and punch every Laker jerk who talks crap in the nose. Now everyone whose trying to be "cool" will root for the Fakers till next season and their "team" changes.

I love you Boston! Nate and Rasheed you have earned my respect. Rondo you are the man. KG, Paul and Allen you are amazing. you guys are truely the best players and men in the NBA. Doc you are the greatest coach ever. Big baby your awesome but keep that drool in your mouth. Just kidding.

Everyone underestimated you guys this year but you proved them wrong. You may have lost by 4 points but you have the hearts of lions. I love you and I'm very proud of you guys. See you next year.

p.s. Kobe sucks and so does Stern!

LAKERS BABY! 2010 CHAMPS
    They cried, they cried like big baby!

p.s. PP is a lie!

They've been the underdog in playoffts up to finals! it's ok,nice series.. CELTICS PRIDE!
    dont't know what to say but im still a CELTICS FAN

it's a heartbreaking game 7 for me..

14. Jesimiel Anahaw says:

dont't know what to say but im still a CELTICS FAN

it's a heartbreaking game 7 for me..

it was a great game 2 watch i dont care what any1 says Celtic's poured thier hearts into that game, i think the foul trouble is what did us in i bleed green!! i sat in my chair last night w/ tears rolling down my face and a snotty nose. Its safe 2 say i still love my Celtics who knows what will happen next year and if some of our guys dont return that will be harder then the outcome of game 7 when my husband proposed 2 my his words were baby girl i know u love the celtics Paul Pierce and KG,but do u love KG enough 2 have the same initials?? with the 2009-2010 season @ an end i cant help but 2 wonder what lies ahead 4 the Boston Celtics and thier fans

I been a Laker fan since I was single digits old more than 40 years. You Celtics did an amazing job knocking off LeBron and Superman. Gotta hand it to you. Almost pulled it out. Guess all the dirty tricks, flops, drooling and mouthing off didn't work. We got one more to match your team's all time Championship record. That should be tied next year. Now you know how we felt in 2008.

Laker for Life. No bandwaggin here, baby Champs of the decade

Dirty tricks and flops? I actually find that funny coming from an LA fan. The Lakers were just as guilty as the Celtics with the tricks and flopping. D-Fish? Gasol? Kobe? Come on, Don't give me the whole, "those weren't flops and he was set BS." So the Lakers don't mouth off as much, but mouthing off is a way of showing emotion and intensity, something Lakers' players don't have.

It was sad to see this team go down the way they did. I hope Ray returns for atleast another year or two. I hope the front office renegotiates the contracts of our Big 3 and somehow enable us to pursue a superstar talent. I hate to say it, but Lebron would be a great fit here in Boston. Lebron vs. Kobe = Modern day Bird vs. Magic. If the NBA loves money and wants more of, which I know they do judging from the questionable reffing in the series which resulted in the Game 7, the NBA should be doing everything within their powers to get Lebron here. Yeah, I sound like a nut, but if Lebron wants to win now, this team is the most championship ready team if we add Lebron to the mix. In the words of our beloved KG "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE." The unthinkable happened in the summer of '07, when we acquired Ray Allen from Seattle and the proceeding transaction a month later landed us the BIG TICKET. To everyone else I may sound crazy, but can't a fan dream and hope something like this may happen?

My heart is so heavy today. Our boyz fought so hard this year with heart and guts and I am so proud of them. And unlike other teams, it was not just ONE man....it was the WHOLE TEAM. We have never been a one man show...even back in the '70-'80s era, it's always been about the entire team.

As we can all see....Celtics fans are true "Green" til the end. No one else like us. Looking forward to an amazing 2010-2011 season.

LOVE THIS POST! THE BOSTON CELTICS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE CHAMPIONS IN MY HEART! CANT WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON! CELTICS WILL BE BACK IN THE FINALS TO GET THEIR REVENGE! GO CELTICS! #1

20. MASON SAVAGE says:

21. jaime vansickle says:

this is a great post.. thank you.. and it was a heartbreaker but i think if we stay with the same starting five we will have our 18th banner next year... hold your heads up celtics fans... they did the best and tried hard
    jaime vansickle

22. Norma says:

i live here in L.A and i cant stand the fact that the lakers won this one, they simply dont deserve it,its a 1 man team do as kobe wants.BOSTON WAS ROBBED OF THIS 1. WHEN GASOL SHOT A LAYUP HE LEFT THE GROUND AND PUT HIS FOOT BACK ON THE FLOOR THAT SHOT SHOULDNT OF COUNTED, THEN THEY WERE CALLING FOULS ON EVERY POSSESION DURING THE LAST MINUTES..ALL TO SECURE THE LAKERS WIN...THIS BELONGED TO THE CELTICS...THEY R undeniably THE BETTER TEAM.IM JUST SO HEARBROKEN IT DIDNT GO THEIR WAY.

this is very well said. i agree with every word you've said and celtics definitely deserved this game. stupid fouls were called at the end of the game, the refs seemed to most def have taken sides. it really just makes me wanna cry with the celtics. though hopefully the team will still be together and doc rivers, who is an amazing coach, having so much trust in his team. i wish i had a coach like him. your post was just amazing.