Say it with me: "wing-spaaaan"

It's that time ladies and gentlemen, the NBA draft.  Where we're sure to be graced by Jay Bilas.  Figured we oughta get an idea on the consensus out there of how many times Bilas will say "wingspan" during the draft?

There's 60 players actually selected, and there will be more players discussed in between picks.

I'm thinking he's going to get between 10-14 wingspan references out there.  I was tempted to goto 15-16 but it's a tough call.

The over/under is 8 for all you compulsive gamblers.  I believe that line doesn't include terms like "length," or "long."  Perhaps Jay's cognizant of this internet sensation and will cautiously select his vernacular to throw us all off.

PS: Any volunteers who will be watching the entire draft who can keep track?  Otherwise I'll DVR-it.

tb727 6/23/2010 09:06:00 PM Edit

what else is he supposed to say?

There's a lot more for him to say; I agree with the author. He should realize that black players tend to have longer wing spans than white players. So the more black players picked, which will be the case, the more players with longer and bigger wing spans.

I understand it being used strategically but during last year's draft it was outlandish how many times he mentioned it. There was a sequence of like 5 or 6 consecutive players where he mentioned it. Not coincidentally, they're all black.

I'm not bashing Bilas either; frankly, I like him. But it's funny hearing him repeat it over and over again.

3. frank says:

I think you'll be surprised- he's gonna say it much closer to 40 times than 10. It depends on his analysis of the 2nd round.

In the first round alone last year he said it AT LEAST 25 times.

Funny fuck!ing post by the way...

4. Jay Bilas says:

Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan Wingspan

I got fired from my job yesterday- reading this got me to laugh, thanks!

6. Cheyenne says:

i agree- think back to the draft in like 85 or 86 when it was Bob Ley, John Thompson and Rick Barry. i'm pretty confident "wing-span" wasn't mentioned once.

it's a trendy word in the NBA. it's like going to hoopshype and rading the rumors around the trade deadline. do a search for the word "business" and you'll see a million quotes from a million guys saying "Don't want to be traded, blah, blah, blah, but I understand its a BUSINESS blah,blah,blah"

the nba: where words like wing-span take on a life of their own.

Let's make it a drinking game! A shot every time he says wingspan!

That's hysterical Jenda!

9. WPSN says:

Too funny and too true! He'll say it every time he talks about a player....you can count on that. Over 20 times easy.

He's saying it for every player so far. Can I change my vote to 60?

He said wingspan 10 times after 8 guys were picked lol. But then settled down a bit.

This is the funniest thing ever

Only 4 more months for this, can't wait lol!