"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." --Red Auerbach

It all comes down to this. In the next 5 days, the Celtics have three games in which to win twice. Some might say if the Celtics come up short that it was still a successful season, a great year. I won't be one of those people. It's been a LONG year, yet the Celtics are only 2 wins away from being NBA Champions for the 18th time. Only 2 wins away from making this Doc Rivers Celtics era a true era in Celtics history.  We win two more times and these players join the greats of Celtics past (who have all won multiple rings). We win 2 more games and Boston fans can stick a mile long tongue out at Kobe and Whistlin' Phil saying, "Kobe you never beat us," and "Phil, you're no Red." We win two more games and Doc Rivers coaching performance of this 2009/2010 goes down as one of the best in NBA history.

If we lose, I will not say its ok. I will not say, "Well we did better than most thought. Great season." Nope. I'll be pissed that the Lakers beat the celtics in the Finals and that Kobe and Phil finally beat Boston. I'll be pissed that the Lakers will have inched closer to passing the Celtics in titles (and will have to remind L.A. idiots that 5 of your titles belong to Minneapolis).  If we lose, the Bryant/Gasol team will be known as multiple winners and the Celtics will be the one hit wonders.

We have 3 games to win twice more. We do that and we're on top of the world. Hey we can even say we would have 3-peat-ed if not for the KG injury and that last year's Lakers title has a big ole asterisk. These next 5 days are HUGE. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Coming in 2nd to the Lakers is unacceptable. The Celtics don't hang Conference banners in the Garden. Never have. Never will. 5 days, 3 games. We need 2. Let's do this!

JR 6/13/2010 01:44:00 AM Edit

I agree 100000000%- and anyone who doesn't recognize quite how significant this is, doesn't understand the Celtics' history.

This season is NOT a success unless a title is won. ESPECIALLY against this scumbag Flaker team.

2. sonya says:

so so sooooo true, couldn't have said it better myself.

rondo knows stats dont mean anything without the win and pierce knows wins are nothing without a banner.

i'm expecting them both to have good games tomorrow and ray to have a decent or ray allen game, KG is hitting a flow. so far, the way celtics offense has gone, lakers should be up 4-0 but we're hanging in there somehow. if the starters could even play at their average we have this series on lock.

it's one thing if we're not good enough. but we're better than good enough which is why losing cannot be tolerated. as doc said, "when we are focused, no one can beat us."

go celtics, win it in 6!!

Here's another quote. This one is by the legendary football coach Vince Lombardi: "There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay and I never want to finish second again."

It could almost be changed to:
    "There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time TO THE LAKERS IN THE FINALS and I never want to finish second again."

TB, Have you ever seen "Anchorman?" Well Ron Burgundy basically will say what ever the teleprompter says. I'd love if the Celtics PA guy was like that and we slipped him your line "Scumbag Flakers." So he would say at the starting line-ups "And now introducing the visiting team, the Scumbag Flakers." Haha

Yep hilarious movie. "Go fuck yourself Soft Angeles" lmao

Today is a vital game, if we win then we have a very good chance to defeat the Fakers. Tonight we have our crowd and it will be for sure the last game of the year in Boston. We WILL WIN. And then we have proven that we are even better on the road, we beat them in Game 2 so if we continue focused we can make it in 6. Let's go Celtics, we can be champions on Tuesday!! :)

7. Karl says:

I'm not going to say that our season isn't a success if we don't win a title. A lot of cities would kill to be in our position. That being said since we're playing the Lakers and have a chance to end the "Kobe is the greatest argument forever" I'd love to win. Go C's.

I agree. I want the C's to win as much as anyone else! But to have come this far, this season is an accomplishment and I am proud of the C's.

9. No way, it's never an accomplishment to lose. This franchise city has established a tradition of winning - and this city has come to expect it. Like Pierce said, Boston fans only get excited when we raise that banner.
    When the Pats lost the Super Bowl in '07 after being undefeated to that point - I didn't think after the game, "Well, we won 18 in a row. That's still good". Hell No. I wanted the parade. I wanted to be the only team to go 19-0 and shove it in Don Shula's face.

Yeah Karl. You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to go with Paul, Doc, Danny, and the rest of the Celtics here. They've said that anything less than a title this year is unacceptable and would be a failure. To get so close now and to not finish the job would be horrible.

I know your point has always been that fans shouldn't take sports so seriously and that life goes on. Sure it does, but life will be so much better with #18 in the rafters. :)

Yes Mike, the Patriots undefeated season meant nothing after the Superbowl loss. Agreed.

Save the consolation prizes for another city. We're about Championships.

The hard life of Boston's athletes.

How can any Celtics fan call the season a success if we lose to the Fakers here? They mailed it in the whole regular season and finally flipped a switch. Losing to the Fakers in the championships a success? Give me a fucking break. Let me go back and add 1985 and 1987 as years of accomplishment.

So if we do lose, which I don't think we will, are you all going to give up on the C's?

Did I give up on the Celtics in 1985 or 1987? No. Stupid question.

15. Karl says:

I think it's pretty bad as a society to label someone a loser if they don't win it all but again I knew I'd get blasted for that comment. I know how big city sports fans operate. I'll love and support the Celtics win or lose the rest of my life and I hope everyone else does as well.

16. ThomasJ says:

JR I am in total agreement. Since day 1 this season if we had the team intact, unlike last season, nothing less than a championship was acceptable.

Even with the frustrating regular season, I was never giving up on the championship pedigree of this team until elimination. Now we are so close and this is about championship legacy and history.

Since Mike mentioned the Pats, it reminds me how glad I am to be a Celtic fan in Sota and not have to root for Brady. What an idiot.

17. Karl says:

Again, 2 Finals appearances in 3 years is an amazing accomplishment. I think if you all reflect on what the Celtics have been able to do and how they have turned around it's really impressive. That being said, I think they will win this series anyway so we won't have to worry about whether to be satisfied or not. It's all about perspective, and if you had said 10 years ago the Celtics would be in two of the last 3 NBA finals you would've been ecstatic.

The Patriots loss was TOTALLY different. They didn't show up to play and lost and played like crap the last 6 weeks or so. That's the only loss to this day I haven't been able to get over. Can't compare football and basketball cause football is one game and out. Go C's

You people are cranky! First I get blasted from the other "Anonymous" saying "Stupid question" and now you are dissing the Patriots. Get a life!

19. Karl says:

One more thing. I was actually going to write a column on this but if people think Boston is a championship city and we only accept titles then they are going to be angry a lot in the future. The past decade will never be repeated again and before that they didn't win anything except in basketball. I just hope people realize that at the end of the day for non-players sports are supposed to be fun and entertainment and they shouldn't get depressed after a loss. It's one thing for Pierce and Doc to say anything less than a championship is unacceptable because they are playing and involved in the game, but it's another for fans to say it, in my opinion.

Again, I want the Celtics to win as much as anyone it just concerns me to see this win or your a loser mentality. Looking forward to getting blasted for these comments later,haha. Go C's.

20. Karl says:

I think this is another case of people just remembering what's happened lately and not looking at the big picture. I truly hope we have another decade with 6 titles in the 3 major sports but in the free agency era that is next to impossible.

Sorry for being a downer, just had to get that off my chest. Celtics are better than the Lakers and I fully expect them to win and send Kobe home crying again.

Karl if you say the "Celtics are better than the Lakers and I fully expect them to win and send Kobe home crying again," then how can you say they are a success if they ended up losing to the Lakers in the end?

We agree on most stuff, but on this (and Bob Costas) we're really on opposite sides. I didn't find the 2003 Red Sox season a success after Boone hit that homer for the Yankees. I won't consider this Celtics season a success if they lose to the Lakers.

Sometimes you tend to pigeon hole Boston fans almost in a condescending way like you're above us because you care less. There's no need to write another column on that issue because you've written a half dozen on that topic already. I think everyone knows your view by now.

When you dog Boston fans I don't take offense, so hopefully you won't take offense to this comment.

This isn't little league where coming in second is a success. One can enjoy the run, but be disappointed in the final outcome, but if you truly feel we should beat the Lakers and we don't, then that's not a success.

Not sure why you keep on bashing Boston fans (saying we bitch too much etc). No one is forcing you to be a certain way, so it would be cool if you don't bash fans who think differently.

p.s. I get super confused with all the anonymouses. Sometimes I just assume its family members or the same person. Anyone else get confused?

Two more things Karl. You write, "I truly hope we have another decade with 6 titles in the 3 major sports." Why did you only include the titles? Why not all the other "successful" seasons?

You also write "I'll love and support the Celtics win or lose the rest of my life and I hope everyone else does as well." I will to. Do I have to say losing to the Lakers is a success to continue to root for the Celtics? No. Sometimes people have the wrong idea what "bandwagon" means. The whole judging other fans thing is lame imo.

23. Karl says:

Haha, yes you do. Go Celtics.

3 days, 2 games, 1 win. Although I'd really like it to be 1 day, 1 win and finish these motherfuckers.