My mom told me today all she wanted for Mother's Day was a Celtics victory. Well she got her wish. Rajon Rondo turned in one of the greatest playoff performances in Celtics history as Boston used a huge fourth quarter to beat Cleveland 97-87. Rondo dropped a near triple double in the first half then finished it off with 29 points, 18 rebounds, and 13 assists. Yes, you heard that right. A 6'1 point guard had 18 rebounds. Signing this guy for 55 Million before the season was a steal. This guy is worth twice that. He was by far the best player on the court and has been the best player all series.

History was made today as well. For the first time ever Lebron James got 4 fouls. This may never be seen again. This was the first must win game of the season for the Celtics and they came through despite the refs giving Lebron every call. This isn't surprising as it has been going on for years now. However, it still amazes me that he can just run into people and they will call it a foul. Something really needs to be done about this or the NBA will never get back to the what they once were back in the 80's and 90's.

Pierce continued to struggle and looked just off out there. He's going to need to step up his game or we won't win the series. Jamison started off well but as usual disappeared. That's why I don't think the Cavs are that good. Besides Lebron no one really plays well for the full 4 quarters. Jamison has no left hand so why not make him go left? This is basic basketball knowledge yet somehow the Celtics still allow him to go right. Ray Allen was playing well and hitting his threes in the first half which was huge for us. That guy is the consummate professional. Plus his mom is really cool.

The Cavs started slowly making their way back in the second half. Pierce got his 4th foul and Shaq actually started to show signs of life. Rondo and TA were the only ones playing well. Speaking of TA, besides Rondo he was the star of this game. He played great defense on Lebron and made some great finishes around the basket. I was wrong about you TA, and for that I apologize. Hell froze over today as well when Sheed put in effort. He went after offensive rebounds and played very well on the defensive end. The chances of this happening in Game 5 are probably about 2.9%.

JR made a great point in the chat today that in many ways this was bigger than just one game. If we had lost, the series would be all but over and the future of the Big 3 in question. Now things are all square and we go back to Cleveland looking to get another win with a chance to close it out in Boston. The Celtics showed true grit today when they could've folded. I can't remember the last time I felt so proud to be a Celtics fan. Let's hope the Celtics continue to play at this energy level and get a win on Tuesday.

Karl Dillinger 5/09/2010 06:50:00 PM Edit

Nicely written.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Awesome chant, if for no other reason b/c Lebron's precious ears had to hear it. Must have been a dream come true for Rondo.

Looking forward to the Week in Review video. Two awesome wins sandwiching a stinker.

C's in 7!

Rondo for President!

4. Anonymous 2 says:

And Tony Allen for Vice President!

Fantastic win- Rondo pegging the ball of Sideshow Bob's crotch was my highlight.

Rondo and Tony Allen were terrific- kudos to ALL Celtics big men, specifically KG, Wallace and Davis for running their asses off on the fastbreak- that really helped open up the floor.

TB, check out the game chat. I actually has some kinds words for Wallace's 4th quarter hustle.

7. sonya says:

rondo saved mothers day

Haha thats funny. Sheed did play hard- Doc gave him a lot of credit after the game today for his defensive intensity and hustle. Good to see it.

Also Karl, great comment about the 4 fouls on LeBron- the guy NEVER gets called for anything!

10. ThomasJ says:

Great recap Karl. You hit all the most important points on my mind. I just finished watching the dvr since mom's day festivities kept me away. Easy to avoid hearing the score here in sota.

TB already mentioned my favorite highlight in Rondo's epic game. The accuracy of his firing the rock into Sideshow's crotch just adds to his all star resume. I replayed it about five times.
    Hope it will be on youtube.

Karl, your description of the LeBron foul situation was correct and there were at least 4-5 more bumps that will def be called in Cleveland.

Mike Breen is a douche. For those of you who disagree let me submit just one example:

"Garnett pushed down Mo Williams and they let it go!"

I echo your Pierce comments and maintain we will not win this series if Paul doesn't show up. Besides his bricks, his wrap up of Shaq for his 4th foul in the 3rd qtr was a bonehead play when you are supposed to be the go to guy.

The guys need to quit jumping out on Jamison everytime he gets it out at the 3 pt. line. He's 2-11 in the series and 9-34 in the playoffs from the arc yet they are playing him like he's Rashard Lewis and giving him opportunities to drive.

Rondo is awesome. KG looks good. Ray will hit big shots. The chucker even worked hard. Pierce will get back in his groove. Tuesday should be exciting.

11. rondo-is-love says:

LeBron said he wants to guard Rondo now (according to Chris Forsberg on ESPNBoston, a courtside spectator said LeBron & Mike Brown got into a heated argument during the game because he wanted to guard Rondo from that point forward & as you can see, Brown decided against it). It makes me wonder... if/when LeBron takes a jab at Rondo, will that open up Pierce's offensive game?

12. Harry says:

No Week in review?

"After all those close ups of Shaq at the FT line, Magic looked scrawny at halftime."

Hahaha. Good one ThomasJ.

Just read Rondo has a cameo in new movie "Just Wright"? I normally would never see this movie but I think I will just to see Rondo.

15. Karl says:

Week in Review to be posted tonight featuring Eddie Money(if YouTube allows).

16. Patrick says:

Last night my interaction with everyone I know was reduced (or elevated?) to nothing but yelling "Rrrrrrrrooooooooondoooooooooooooo!"

17. glitterchick says:

I freakin' LOVE this kid!!! It is so much fun watching him play-he just continues to get better and better. He is tough too. He's plays pretty much the entire game every night. Great job by T A-I'd start him in a heartbeat! Pierce was not in the game at all. Great hustle by Baby too. At a certain point you have to put egos aside and decide what's good for the game. If you're not getting the job done,send in someone who can. Will be interesting to see what Mr.Ainge does during the off season. And I stand firm in my belief that Ray Allen's mom must have had him when she was 10. She does not look any older than he does! Rock on Ray's mom!

18. Harry says:

No Week in review? Will there be a midweek in review ?