Is this some kind of a joke?
BOSTON, Mass (abc40) - Former UMass forward Tony Gaffney has signed with the Boston Celtics.  The team will make the announcement official Tuesday at noon.  Gaffney confirmed the details to abc40 via text message early Tuesday morning.
The Celtics are on the road Tuesday night in Chicago taking on Vinny Del Negro and the Bulls.  Gaffney may catch a flight to Chicago and dress for the game.

Who is this guy?  Is this legit?  This makes no sense?  Is it similar to that guy the Knicks signed after the college season a couple years back from I think Kentucky?

Anyways figured it was worth posting.

tb727 4/13/2010 11:37:00 AM Edit

I think this is good news. Means that Doc will probably be resting the guys these final two games. Need someone to play besides Scal. I guess Dan Barros and Kama Chinen were not available.

2. No way! This guy went to Umass when I was there. He can block shots or at least he could in the A-10 but has no business being in the NBA. Good to see a Umass Alum on the Celtics though!

They should of just signed Karl. Looks like they also signed some dude named Oliver Lafayette.

Karl, did you play any pick up games with him at UMASS?

5. This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. I don't know if the NBA could handle two red heads on the same team JR. Never played any pick up games with him but did with his teammates.

And also Oliver Lafayette:

Summer league projects ;)

8. ThomasJ says:

Don't mean to be cynical but a white guy from UMass?

What possible purpose other than to sell a few tickets. All I care about is players to help the Celtics win games.

For anyone worrying about Danny actually signing a young guy, I looked up Gaffney and he's actually 25 already and will be 26 in November. I guess Danny likes the old Rooks (Hudson, Giddens...). Where's Michael Smith when you need him?