In today's column "Smoke and Mirrors," Bill Simmons today completely blasted Rasheed Wallace. Good for him. I've been critical of 'Sheed ever since the preseason when he showed up fat, chucking a ridiculous amount of 3's and playing lazy basketball that would make Mark Blount blush. I've tried several times to give the man break after break. Both TB and Bohemian have tried to convince me that 'Sheed is an asset. I respect both of their basketball knowledge, so I really try to bite my tongue on Rasheed, but he's a complete failure.

Simmons writes, "Sheed will finish the 2009-10 regular season next week as my least favorite Celtic ever, edging out Todd Day, Fred Roberts, Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe and Vin Baker. At least Vinnie had an excuse: a drinking problem. Sheed has an apathy problem. His doughy, nonchalant shadow looms over every game." I can't deny that Rasheed has also been my least favorite Celtic ever. I can't stand him! I've laid out the stats to prove 'Sheed's horrific suckitude in more than a few posts this year (here, here, and here), but I'll add some of Simmons's stuff:

"Sheed's plus-minus is predictably bad: minus-4.6. I don't trust individual plus-minus as much as numbers for five-man lineups, so let's dig deeper. When Boston's three best perimeter players (Rondo, Pierce and Ray Allen) play with Garnett and Perkins, that unit is plus-280 for the season (plus-12.0 per 48 minutes). Swap Wallace for Perkins and it dips to minus-19 (-5.0 per 48 minutes). Swap Wallace for Garnett and it dips to minus-4 (minus-1.1 per 48 minutes).

THE FACTS ABOUT SHEED'S REBOUNDING

1. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Sheed has the lowest career per-48-minute rebounding average of anyone 6-foot-11 or taller who played 1,000-plus games (9.8).
2. His 2009-10 offensive rebound rate is significantly lower than that of any other center (2.8).
3. According to Basketball Prospectus' Kevin Pelton, Sheed in 2009-10 is tied with Toni Kukoc in 2005-06 for the third-lowest offensive rebound percentage ever among regular players 6-11 or taller (0.30). The two ahead of him? Manute Bol in 1989-98 (0.27) and Dirk Nowitzki in 2002-03 (0.28).
4. The 2008-09 Celtics outrebounded opponents by five per game and averaged nearly 10.5 offensive boards. The 2009-10 Celtics get outrebounded by 1.3 a game and average just 8.7 offensive boards. Hmmmmmm.
No one's blaming the entire Celtics disappointing season on Rasheed. He's a bench player. It's about the stars. It is a pretty big coincidence though that a team that gave its all every game for two years  now shows more apathy than pride. I won't go so far as to say 'Sheed infected the team with lazy, but I won't get on you if you say so.

While he certainly puts his need to fight with refs over the team, I don't really care as much about the technical fouls. It's idiotic, but I could certainly live with them if he was putting up numbers and effort. It's like Manny Ramirez. I was fine with Manny being Manny as long as he had an OPS over 1000. But trust me if Manny sucked at the plate, the whole Manny being Manny thing wouldn't fly. Newsflash to Rasheed: 'Sheed being 'Sheed isn't flying anymore because you now suck. You're not good enough anymore to have a meltdown a game. Doc benched Baby for getting a technical and more or less said he wasn't good enough to get away with that. That he wasn't KG. Well neither is 'Sheed. Grab some rebounds, do some crunches, and run the court and you can maybe have a meltdown every now and then. Right now you're not entitled.
Danny completely blew a golden opportunity to rid the Celtics of this piece of garbage back before the trade deadline. The Celtics offered Glen Davis to the Bobcats for DJ Augustin and the Bobcats countered asking for Rasheed instead. Most likely we could have squeezed the 1st rounder that the Bobcats gave Chicago from them in addition, as the Bobcats only went after Tyrus Thomas after Danny turned down their offer. We could of had DJ Augustin (more of a backup point guard than Nate) and Tyrus Thomas. We could of exchanged a lazy, old chucker for two young athletic players. Tyrus Thomas actually crashes the offensive boards, while Rasheed is allergic to them. Don't even get me started on Leon Powe, as I'd take a Leon Powe with 7 knee injuries over Rasheed.
I've never counted on Danny for smart trades or solid free agent signings, so the only hope is that Doc would step up, but he didn't. While he continues to talk about Shelden challenging Davis for playing time, he lets Rasheed do whatever he wants. Where was the 1 game suspension after 'Sheed's tantrum on his coach Sunday? Why has Glen Davis admitted that he's forced to play down low on offense, because  Rasheed (the 7 footer) is allowed to do whatever he wants and he chooses to play out on the perimeter.
I've said time and time again that Doc should bench Rasheed every time he shoots a 3. Nothing. In fact Doc will talk about how they're good looks. If a young knucklehead like Josh Smith can learn not to shoot 3's why can't a vet like Rasheed? Learn from the bench you bum.
I'm so glad Simmons wrote this article today, because it made me sick yesterday watching Rasheed refuse to move. Simmons says he goes from foul line to foul line. That's being kind. I see him repeatedly not get past either 3 point line. Yesterday I saw the Celtics run their offense and 'Sheed never even passed the half court line. Luckily that meant he was back on defense after the Celtics missed their shot. The next possession he made it all the way to the 3 point line, but didn't get back on defense until about 12 seconds were left on the shot clock. His shining moment came when a rebound bounced his way, but it also had a chance to go out of bounds. Rasheed made the decision that he'd prefer to just let it go out of bounds so as not to sweat. Odds were that Earl Barron might not get to it. Well he did.
The Celtics need to go back to the Powe/Davis combo off the bench. What? You're telling me that Danny refused to give Powe the minimum and instead carries an empty roster spot? Luckily for the C's Shelden Williams is at least a poor man's Powe. A little taller, shorter arms, and much worse hands, but he busts his ass. Stop talking about giving Shelden Baby's minutes. Give Shelden Rasheed's minutes. It would show that you actually reward some one who gives a shit over someone who plays like shit and doesn't give a damn about the team.
Again, much respect to Bohemian and TB, but I can't stand this bum wearing #30. I'm with you Bill. Least favorite Celtic ever.

JR 4/07/2010 04:16:00 PM Edit

1. CoachBo says:

Dood. Spot on.

I laughed so hard I woke up the neighbors. Simmons's article is hysterical.
    JR if tb or Bohemian unleashes his wrath onto you, I'm right by your side!

3. Great post. Agree completely. Everything you write, everything Simmons wrote, is 100% accurate. And I absolutely, completely, blame Sheed for the Celtics attitude this season that they will turn it on when the big games come. That was never here before - KG, Ray, Rondo, Pierce, Perk, and co didn't suddenly stop playing hard on their own. it came from somewhere - it came from Sheed.

Haha Jenda. No one's going to unleash any wrath. Lol. I like that we have writers with different opinions. After watching 'Sheed's effort last night, exemplified by the Earl Barron out of bounds rebound, I just decided that enough is enough. That I can't stand this bum more than any other Celtic. I was so glad to see Simmons write what he wrote. I'm not always into all his stuff, but he hit it on the money today. I felt it made it easier for me to post my venting piece. lol. Still rooting for the bum. He is a Celtic, but I just simply can't stand him.

I was joking. However, there are opinions and there are stats.
    I maintain my position being disappointed in 'Sheeds appearance but wouldn't go as far as blaming him for Celtics attitude. I just don't have the guts to say one person - one bench player can turn around morals of the whole squad.

6. Brad says:

This all makes sense to me. Like Simmons says in the article, the 07-08 Celtics were champs in every way, the 08-09 Celtics showed remarkable heart and resilience even without their leader... 09-10's squad is suddenly bored and aimless? NO WAY they just changed completely over one summer. I live in LA and last year I heard some Laker fans say how hard it is to truly HATE the Celtics because they played like a team with a core of integrity and passion for the game, not individual glory. This season? We're talking about personal agendas. The difference is Sheed.

Watch KG during a game. He interacts with Sheed the way you do with a friend that you joke around with a lot but feel uncomfortable repremanding when he's out of line. KG just sits there and lets Sheed be Sheed. Sheed's dismantled the leadership of the team. Add injuries to that and there's you boredom and complacency. Sheed sucked the engine dry with his me first attitude. KG and the boys personally went to recruit him for this year's team, thinking he'd add just that much more BBall IQ and intensity. They were wrong and I think they all know it now. But it's too late. One apple spoils the whole barrel and Sheed's spoiled this team's championship focus and upset the chemistry in a way that's almost intangible.

7. ThomasJ says:

I haven't read Simmons yet, but what you quoted and your own feelings are so true.

Like I said before, he played like this in Detroit last year but I cut him slack with their sinking ship. I thought he would be motivated to wear the green and play for a championship with three future HOF vets he should respect.

There is no excuse for his lazy, apathetic, out of shape ass. He obviously doesn't care about how he will be remembered. Where is the pride?

You can't blame the season on him, but many picked Boston to come out of the east before the season started and a big reason was the signing of 'Sheed to be a productive big off the bench.

I would say it is a little early to judge on Sheed, I suggest waiting for the end of the playoffs to see if his signing was worth it. I agree that up til now he has underachieved. I still have hope though that he will show his true value against the Magic and the Cavs in the playoffs. I still believe in Sheed, regardless of his poor performances this year

And also, there always has to be a scapegoat in the team. Now that TA is playing quite well and Scal (anonymous, are you happy?) is not active we fans have Sheed as the easiest target for the problems of our team.

10. Karl says:

Great post JR! Very solid stats to back it up. It's hard for me to believe that Sheed will just suddenly turn it on come playoff time but here's hoping he does. I have a friend who is a Pistons fan that warned me of this when we picked him up. One of my favorite posts of the year, great job again JR.

Not surprisingly, I agree 100% Bohemian.

I think its a little unfair to say that Rasheed gets a pass for the whole regular season. He's getting paid too much money to only play the playoffs. Also, if he was now rounding into shape (and form) it would be one thing, but the playoffs are a week away and he still looks out of shape and is playing that way. Obviously everyone wants him to do well in the playoffs, but just as 'Sheed fans complain about some fans blaming the Celtics woes too much on him, I must say 'Sheed fans give him way too much slack for mailing it for the entire regular season. That's just not the Celtic way. That is why he's my least favorite Celtic.

For the record I've always been a Tony Allen fan. He can drive one batty, but he tries out there. Same with Scal. I have no issues with Scal. i have had some with Danny for giving him 15 million and Doc for playing him too much (especially at the 3), but Scal's cool in my book. I tend to give most Celtics the benefit of the doubt and if they're trying hard I don't bash them.

Would be interesting to find out who others least favorite Celtics are. Not guys who you grew to dislike after being on the C's, but guys you couldn't stand while on the C's. "sheed would be #1 for me with Gary Payton probably # 2. What about you all?

For me it would be anyone who underachieved due to lack of effort.
    Was Payton really that 'hateable' on the Celtics?

I don't think many people disliked Payton on the C's. I was probably in the minority. I know we had a young team and I wanted a point guard who would push the ball. Payton would walk the ball up the court and also broke plays a lot. Because he was a veteran, Doc let him do what he liked (Sound familiar?). Also, in his prime Rayton was an amazing defender, but he couldn't guard point guards by the time he was a Celtic. Lastly I've always disliked his attitude. he seems like the last player you'd want to play with. Always yelling at his teammates on the court. When i play basketball and I have a player like that on my team I just want to punch him in his grill. I don't mind trash talk from the opponent though.

It was a strange time for the C's as Ainge seemed to be preferring mediocrity at that point. The trade for Antoine that season lifted the Celtics in the standings, but it also hurt our draft position. The Pacers took Danny Granger one spot before we took Gerald.

I liked Payton because that one game where he stripped the ball on the last possession to win the game for the Celts and Tommy exclaimed "THE GLOVE!!!!" lol

16. Gil says:

untill sheed garbs a guy and calm him down from getting a T instead of being down by 3 and sheed running his mouth and getting a T to make it a 2 possession game untill he has that composure then he's a bad playing and thats why he gets the blame

Actually Sheed is better conditioning shape now than at the beginning of the season. In November you could see he was overweight and now he is slimmer.

All I say is that maybe in some weeks people will start praising Sheed when we win some crucial games in the playoffs. Such is the nature of sports and of fans sometimes. I was a TA hater at the beginning of the season and now I am pleasantly surprised to have been wrong with my judgement. Nobody liked TA in November, nobody likes Sheed now. But things change, you will see. I believe in this team and in Wallace too

18. Gil says:

i just don't understand how its exceptable for a guy to half ass it all year if this is the case why aren't we sitting the big 3 right now know we already locked in playoffs. Why did Rondo, Allen,Pierce,and KG play hurt this year they might as well sat half the season cause it doent matter if you play hard or play at all.If this is exceptable in the regular season what makes us think this attitude wont carry over into the playoffs. i see more questions about Sheed then answers

Well hopefully Rasheed flips the switch in the playoffs, but I wouldn't just assume he will. Last year Rasheed averaged 12 points and 7.4 rebounds during the regular season and then in the playoffs (when supposedly he ups his game) he averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds, while letting his team get swept.

Show me something 'Sheed. Take a charge, sprint the court, bend your knees. Something.