Happy Easter!  I truly thought the Celtics weren't going to give up the lead this game, but I shouldn't have been so foolish. The Celtics never play well for all four quarters and have a terrible habit of picking the 4th as the one to slack off in. They are lucky they built such a huge lead and were able to hang on. Lebron was in attack mode in the 4th which means he's scoring every possession. The Celtics can't get defensive rebounds which is the number one reason they won't win the title this year. It almost seemed like the Cavs weren't trying until the final period.

Ray Allen was the offensive star of the game with 33 points including a number of clutch threes. His three pointer with 46 seconds left to put the Celtics ahead by 4 was the shot of the game. No one except Ray Allen should be allowed to take clutch shots for the rest of the year. Rondo had a solid game with 16 points and 14 assists.  KG was only 5-14 from the field but went 9-10 from the free throw line including the game clinching free throws.

Pierce's defense against Lebron in the 1st half was huge and the reason we built such a huge lead. Unfortunately Lebron is superhuman and always finds a way to score.  Tony Allen continued his solid play and it looks like he has replaced Marquis in the rotation. Even though he had that goal tending call(questionable by the way) he was able to come back and score the following possesion  The bench as a whole barely played this game. Nate Robinson didn't play at all and Rasheed and Finley only played 10 and 8 minutes respectfully. I still think they should play Sheldon more as he has shown some good things in his limited court time.  Big Baby continues to impress me with his hustle and rebounding. So what if he plays below the rim? He maximizes his potential and that is all you can ask from someone.  If everyone on the Celtics played at his energy level every game we would be much better off right now.

Lebron scored 20 points in the 4th and 42 for the game. However, he missed a couple big free throws down the stretch and missed the potential game winning three.  I thought for sure that shot was going in by the way. Mo Williams had a big first half with 5 three pointers but was silent in the second.  I hope they play Shaq  a lot in the playoffs because they are a better team without him on the court. Hickson continues to impress me with his rebounding and ability to finish around the basket. The Celtics could really use someone like him on their team.  I thought Mike Brown was going to tackle the ref in the 3rd quarter. It turns out that sparked the Cavs come back.

We shouldn't be too happy about this win. They blew a 22 point lead and were frankly lucky Lebron didn't go into assassin mode earlier on.  Still, anytime you can beat Lebron you have to at least be a little happy.  Let's hope the Celtics can play the way they did the first 3 quarters for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

Karl Dillinger 4/04/2010 03:57:00 PM Edit

I didn't feel comfortable with our 22 point lead but at least we pulled off a win. A very stressful fourth quarter.

2. Thanks for the Easter Present, Lebron.. http://bit.ly/alf5Z0

3. Bobo says:

It's amazing how quick that lead disappeared. I"m stunned they didn't blow it. They play like a team that's never won a championship, let alone played in playoff games. It's mind-boggling.

4. Margaret says:

So nice to beat the Cavs, AND at home! I feel good about the contributions from Tony Allen as well. Great picture!

reffs laid the golden egg for this one

Solid recap Karl. Happy Easter to everyone!

Scary thing is the brazilian monkey didn't play and they still were so close. If Varejao was playing, I'm afraid there would be no chance for the C's.
    Small comparison for tb: technical on Rondo - that is the way you get technical. You don't get an obvious call, you diss at ref, you get the call.
    On the other hand, technical on 'Sheed - you follow the ref and bitch at him for about a minute. He gets scared - of course, he's like three feet smaller. Then, after a technical you go on bitching at your own coach. You make him substitute you for being such a little boy. Just before the time C's play fell apart. Coincidence?

Ray f'in Allen made me smile so much I might have injured my jaw.
    Lucky Celtics that LeBron James was in his assin' mode with really good defense by Pierce and Tony Allen.

you say the celtics "never" play well? i am questioning you as a journalist and wondering if you ever held a basketball

9. ThomasJ says:

Good win but I was thinking the same as Jenda as far as Varejao. Also the T comparison - Rondo's kind of outburst doesn't always get a T, that's why KG doesn't get more. 'Sheeds a stalker.

I'm still not going to be comfortable if no Marquis in the playoff rotation. I'm not liking TA in the slower, halfcourt grind more about match ups and position.

BTW, I was about to criticize TA on a dumb goaltending play but after rewinding the dvr and running that back in super slo-mo, Tony clearly grabbed the ball right after it bounced off the rim.

10. Karl says:

The sentence reads "Never play well for 4 quarters. I have indeed held a basketball. Happy Easter.

Who is that second "Anonymous"? What's up with him/her?

Hey Karl, I have two basketballs just on my shelf behind me. If you ever needed to hold one. lol Anyway, I totally agree with you on that one.

I meant the third "Anonymous" commentator. And I totally agree with you too Karl.

I'm with all of you on that if Varejao played (instead of the corpse of Big Z) there might be a different winner. Also, love Jenda's Ray f'in Allen line and ThomasJ, 'Sheed totally showed the "stalking" you were talking about. Perfect term for it. What a tantrum. I wonder what he and Doc were yelling back at each other? How many other bench players get to yell at their coach? I think Karl's "never play well for 4 quarters line" is pretty accurate imo.

Anyway, if 'Sheed gety his act together, he can contribute, we've seen it. Perhaps Doc should consider hiring another asistant, someone who has 'Sheed's respect like Mama Wallace.

I totally agree with you Jenda. I just wonder if Sheed has tried some serious psychotherapy yet?? Ha,ha.