Boston Globe

Although Doc Rivers has said the Celtics get a lot of grief for a 50-win team, Ainge understands and even agrees with the criticism.

“You know what? Fifty wins isn’t good enough,’’ he said yesterday. “It gives us a chance in the playoffs and the playoffs is what’s going to determine it, but we have to play a lot better. The expectations are much higher than that. There aren’t many 50-win teams that have won championships. There’s a lot more 60-win teams that have won championships and we feel like we’re a championship team going into the playoffs. So I would say 50 wins is less than everybody’s expectations going into the playoffs.’’

Ainge said he is not so supportive of the “turn it on in the playoffs’’ theory, despite the presence of the Big Three and their 2008 title. “It’s certainly rare and not anybody’s strategy,’’ he said. “It’s not a strategy from my standpoint. Not a strategy from Doc’s standpoint. So no, I don’t think that that’s the way to approach any season or any game.
Good to see Ainge not sugar coating things. Not sure what else to say here, but Ainge is usually pretty careful with what he says, so I thought I would share some his more candid comments on the Celtics disappointing regular season.

JR 4/12/2010 06:42:00 PM Edit

The regular season has sucked donkey balls.

2. You suck donkey balls

It would be nice if he was proven wrong. It would be nice if the players and 'Sheed decided to prove him wrong and actually did so.
    And as always, shut up Norman.

Thanks Jenda! You suck Norman!

5. ThomasJ says:

To Danny I would say "You know what? Your personnel moves aren't good enough. We have a chance to win in the playoffs, but you have to do your job better."

This team has massively underachieved, but so have you.

Well said Thomas. We've lost several key guys from the 2008 team and the Big 3 have gotten older, yet Danny hasn't added one bonafide solid addition. O'Bryant=Fail, Marbury=Fail, Giddens=Fail, Walke=Fail (in Boston), Mikki Moore=Fail. Nate and Marquis are out of the rotation and I don't have to give my opinion on 'Sheed. Watch today's video on Hondo and how they talk about how character was key to Red picking players.

Of course 50 wins are not enough. I think everyone is unhappy with our performance. Either we really play as expected at the beginning of the season (like against Cleveland not long ago) or Danny will have to take some decisions for real this summer

Wait JR, please do give me your opinion on Sheed I'm curious to see how you feel ;)

This team has massively underachieved. I agree 100% Thomas.

Danny, sign Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson, and all will be forgiven!

10. freshnthehouse says:

I don't think any side move that DA could've made this off-season would've been enough to get this team over the hump. The core (Allen, Pierce, KG) doesn't look to be championship material anymore. No amount of MLE wizardry could fix what's wrong with this team.

But hey, let's hope they'll prove us all wrong and go into Wolverine berserker mode once the playoffs start.