Is this the best we can do?

As I sit here watching the second blizzard this week paralyze the D.C area, I couldn't help thinking that this kind of weather is common place in Boston.  Maybe not quite to this extent, but winter in Boston is not what you would call pleasant.  This is one of the main reasons big time free agents don't want to come here. Places like Miami, L.A, Orlando, or even a place like Dallas are often times more attractive to would be free agents. Even New York is attractive because of the spotlight and endoresment money to be made.

Instead Boston gets the guys at the end of their careers(i.e. Sheed), who either want to prove they can still play or just want a title.  At least now they get those guys. Before all they had to offer was a tradition of excellence and history. Which brings me to my next point.  It seems that now a days tradition and history isn't as important as making money.  You think Lebron would want to go to the Knicks if they were from Oklahoma City? It is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of world and past history and tradition just doesn't matter as much.

You also can't discount the race angle here.  Boston has a reputation for being a city that isn't friendly to African Americans. I think stereotypes like that are ridiciulous by the way, but that is what Boston is perceived to be. Since the NBA is about 70% African American, it makes sense that free agents wouldn't be flocking here.  The sad truth of the matter is if Kevin Mchale wasn't the GM of the Twolves and the Celtics didn't give away half their team, we still woudln't have landed any top flight players. KG wasn't even a free agent, and was not exactly thrilled to come here at first, but has grown to love the city.

Personally, I think Boston is a perfect place to play basketball.  Say what you want about them being negative, but few sports fans embrace a champion like people in Boston.  Let's hope that after the Big 3 retire, Boston can start being a more appealing place to come for the game's elite.

Karl Dillinger 2/10/2010 01:11:00 PM Edit

Leon Powe desperately wanted to sign with Boston. :(

2. ThomasJ says:

I'm sure 12 seasons in Minnesota made Boston's winter's acceptable for KG.

The 'lazy chucker'(copyright JR) didn't come from the tropics, either.

Well Miami and Orlando have only been in the league since 89 and 90 respectively. Who would you have preferred the Celtics sign this past off season over Wallace and Daniels?

I know that question is for Karl, but I wanted at the time Artest, Powe, Jason Williams, and to buy a second rounder for either Blair or Budinger.

I will say though when 'Sheed got signed, though I had preferred Artest, I was still happy we got someone.

You'd rather have had a backup wing for Paul and Ray than a backup big man for Garnett and Perkins? You my friend then are either a genius or rely 100% on hindsight.

No one in their right mind would've wanted Artest over Wallace. He's more of a headcase and filled less of a need. Plus he wouldn't have wanted to come off the bench and I don't think Doc had any intention of bringing Paul or Ray off the bench.

Your new name is Johnny Hindsight

Well that's what I wanted and I stated it at the time. I thought Artest had a lot more left in the tank. I thought he could play the 2, 3, and even 4 in a Posey role for us. I had no problems with Ray Allen coming off the bench if that was what was needed. Hey people wondered if Perk would have to come off the bench if we signed the Lazy Chucker.

It's not just hindsight if you stated it beforehand. Ditto on J-Will and Powe.

So sick of the Rasheed-hate. Boston fans always have to find someone to blame about everything. He's not the main reason the Celts have struggled.

And tb is Mr. Positivity. lol. ;)

I've been on 'Sheed since back when we were the best team in the League. I stated he was out of shape and shooting too many 3's

The negativity in this town...well you know...

I agree with TB here, people always hate Sheed but as you could see today he is not the problem for this team. The starters ruined this game this time. P2, KG and Rondo played really bad tonight. The problem is something more general, and the blame shouldn't be on any specific player.

Now that TA has been playing well and Scal doesn't play much it's the turn for fans to rip Sheed...but everyone knows it's not his fault

What this team needs is a shake up and health. If the C's could somehow get a 20% healthier KG (as he was at the beginning of the season) and rested legs from Ray and Paul I start to believe we would get back on track

So what I'd do is:

1. Minor trade with the expirings.
    2. Give 2 weeks absolute rest to the Big Three

I mean, in the long term it can save our season to rest the vets. Allen must be mentally exhausted, Paul's foot and stubborn mentality is hurting him and the team, and KG is just not well... Let's rest them til March and make a minor trade