Espn

The Boston Celtics and Charlotte Bobcats are discussing a trade centered around Glen "Big Baby'' Davis and D.J. Augustin, according to league sources.

The sources cautioned that nothing is imminent, but said the clubs are having discussions.

The Bobcats have been searching for a power forward, and the 6-9 Davis could be their man. The Celtics, meanwhile, have been longing for a backup point guard, and Augustin, who's fallen out of favor with Charlotte coach Larry Brown, would be more than adequate.

A straight-up trade would not work because Davis is a base-year compensation player, so other players would have to be involved to meet the financial requirements. That could be a sticking point in the deal.
Well this deal totally depends on the other parts. Many in Boston are down on Davis right now. I think he's finally starting to show some life myself as he works off the rust from his thumb injury. He's really worked hard to get his body fat down. Contrast that with the high paid backup big man lazy chucker the C's signed in the Summer. Our  big man depth would take a serious blow with this trade (I'd feel better about it if Leon was about to make his NBA return for us instead of our Eastern Conference rivals).

Now Augustin is a young player who showed some offensive flashes last year, but isn't playing as well this year. It's been said he's not really a traditional point guard (I remember during the first week of the season when Felton got injured versus the Celtics and we beat the Bobcats by about 70. Tommy was killing D.J. that he wasn't a point guard.) And Augustin's listed at 6 feet. You couldn't really play him with Rondo or House. The one thing that makes me somewhat intrigued about this guy is that he put up very solid numbers as a rookie on a Larry Brown coached team. This year's Bobcats lottery pick, Gerald Henderson, is playing in the Developmental League right now (Hey I'll take him as a throw-in. You love dumping your lottery picks MJ, cough Morrison, cough May).

I would have preferred for Ainge to have simply signed Jason Williams in the offseason, but I've been saying that for 3 years, so he obviously doesn't listen to me. I also wanted Birdman over O'Bryant, to keep Powe, and to buy back the Rudy Fernandez pick when the Suns were selling it.  Sorry tangent. So what do you think of this proposed swap?

JR 2/09/2010 06:11:00 PM Edit

1. Jeff says:

We don't need another player chucking up threes. This would be a horrible trade

2. We can do better than this. Big Baby gets after it on the boards and we need all the help we can get in that area.

Please make the deal! What about Scal?

The immediate first thing I thought is what a bitch Augustin was for his comments on the Celtics last year:

“They [Celtics] come in here and intimidate you and try to punk you. But if you don’t back down from them, they kind of fold.”

What a jackass. I want nothing to do with a rookie who has those comments about the defending champs at the time. Shut your mouth and go wallow in mediocrity.

Besides the Celtics already have Eddie House and having him would be redundant.

Not a huge Augustin fan, but he has two things on House. He can dribble and he's a lot younger.

Hold a grudge long TB? lol. I remember that quote.

Forever! Until he apologizes! In fact when we were creating the "Celticslife Top 10 Hated Players" and I asked you guys for a list of 30, he came in around #19 on mine :D

Ok I'm going to try an get the message to him. Just to be clear though, are you requiring him to apologize to the Celtics or you?

8. ThomasJ says:

Big Baby seems to playing better recently and if he gets back to the player we saw in the playoffs last spring he is a keeper.

It's hard to give up Davis when the lazy chucker has no interest in working inside on a regular basis. We do need Baby onboard - especially with the useless Scal and exiled Shelden still in uniform.

That being said, DJ would be a decent back up pg we don't currently have. Yes, he's a punk, but Eddie can't handle the point against any decent pressure. The only redundancy would be adding another streaky sg off the bench

Rondo will have to play 44-45 mpg to get this team thru the playoffs as currently constructed!

JR, your last tangent speaks for me. Seriously, word for word.

9. ThomasJ says:

I wasn't kidding about the Rondo minutes

To the Celtics!

I rather have the corpses of Tyrone Lue or Mike Penberthy than that brash, arrogant little prick.

11. ThomasJ says:

One comment about Baby - he might have the hardest time getting above the rim of any 6'9" guy I've ever seen

12. Rondo if healthy is young enough that he could play that many minutes and I agree he needs to if we are going to win.

I agree with Thomas that as presently constructed he'd need to. My worry Karl is that if he plays that many minutes you'd be getting a watered down Rondo by each 4th quarter...on the defensive end at least.

I really want Paul Pierce to take some time off and come back with a ton of energy. We need a second star badly.

14. ThomasJ says:

I agree that Rondo's young enough but to do it for 6-7 games in series vs Chi, Atl/Orl, Cle and LA would be superhuman.

ThomasJ did you ever see Felton Spencer getting above the rim, and he was 7'0 :D

16. ThomasJ says:

tb-

The corpse of Mike Penberthy! HA!

The Fakers may dig him up 1st considering their crappy pg situation.

I'm having Felton flashbacks now and they're all below the rim

Yeah still amazing Penberthy lasted and got a ring- very rare for Divison III players which I think he was one (and so may have been Devean George- where'd he go Augustana or something?)

Maybe the Bobcats could include something that we could swing over to Chicago for Tyrus Thomas. If we added Augustin and Thomas, while not a drastic shakeup, it would add some youth and athleticism to our rotation (two things we sorely need). Now would Doc play them?

19. ThomasJ says:

Yeah George was here at Augsburg College in Minneapolis.

I made a comment about the history of useless Wolves big guys under the latest Schintzius comedy and you bring up Felton:)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's interesting about Thomas and Augustin- but whose minutes do they take? If they take House's and Glen Davis' then I'm not opposed to that. House has had a wretched year.

Ah right Augsburg- see I don't know everyone's college lol.

Spencer epitomizes useless. So also does Stojko Vrankovic who the Timberwolves had manning the pivot for some time. Who else? Didn't they have Bill Curley lol?

22. ThomasJ says:

JR that's a good idea. I think that's the best we can hope for tradewise. Improving the bench.

Just so we don't get Brad Miller from Chicago.
    He's near the top of my hated players list, mostly from his Sac days vs. KG in sota. I would take Noah's evil twin before Miller.

23. ThomasJ says:

Yeah, Bill Curley was here (I think that is carved into the floor near th end of the bench)

I think Danny's dream scenario is that somehow the Kings financially are forced to move Kevin Martin to rid themselves of Nocioni's contract and the C's trade Ray for those two and Baby for Augustin.

Celtics would get younger in the starting 5 in Martin, get an upgrade at the back-up point, and Nocioni could fill the still vacant Posey role.

I must admit I am surprised by this rumor, but it makes sense for the C's. Davis is a limited (but with talent) player and we need a PG. I am convinced Baby is one of the players "with agendas" and somehow not contributing to the ubuntu chimera...

I'm surprised Bohemian wasn't the one who broke this rumor. :)

Might be 'Sheed that the Bobcat are after:

Could it be true Karl? :) :) :) lol

LOL! I didn't see this one coming! :D

You know, it's quite funny that yesterday I decided I wouldn't track any rumors because I had gotten exhausted with possible deals to Sactown, Chicago and Oakland... I said to myself that I wouldn't expect any trade and that I would check that back after the All Star game...LOL! As if that was possible! :D I finally logged in Celticslife before going to sleep and here I see this rumor! Quite amazing!

By the way, I hope Sheed doesn't leave. I just got his C's jersey in ebay :P

BTW, we have no news from that guy from the Chicago area about Hinrich... :(

we need some young big players...trade ray allen for monta ellis!throw away house scal and wallace.especially wallace that he is not playing well.try to get tim thomas and monta ellis for our celtics team.those two are athletic and young and really can score the basket.that'll be my target if im sir ainge...

Yeah Bohemian. His name was Green and he never came back this weekend. Would have been fun if he had. I don't know if that makes his report more or less reliable.