Rondo's free throw shooting issues have always been the big elephant in the room.  He is such a spectacular player in almost every other phase of the game that people are hesitant to criticize him for anything.  However, I think it is an important point to discuss.  Is Rondo's struggle from the free throw line a huge problem? Or is it something that isn't that big a deal at all?

I used to be in the middle on this issue, but I think this could very well be a huge factor in the Celtics title chances.  First off, there really is no excuse for any guard in the NBA to shoot less than 70% from the line.  Free throws are absolutely something you can and should be able to get better at.  Your job is to play basketball, so shoot 2,000 free throws a day if you have to.

I'm sure Rajon is trying, but he needs to try harder. The point guard should have the ball in his hands at the end of games and needs to be trusted to make critical free throws.  While it would be nice to have Perk shoot well from the line, it isn't nearly as big a deal.
 Rondo, I would argue has been the Celtics MVP this year.  He is a spectacular young talent and worth every penny of his contract.  At the same time he needs to hit free throws, especially in the clutch and also develop a three point shot if he ever wants to be considered in the ranks of the Chris Paul's and Deron Williams's of the world.

Look, even if he had made those two shots last night  the game still would've gone into overtime with Baron Davis's shot.  However, the problem would still remain.  Though Rondo's free throw shooting has improved from the beginning of the season, it simply needs to get better if the Celtics are to win the title this year.

What are your thoughts?

Karl Dillinger 12/28/2009 10:54:00 AM Edit

While it sucks that he's so inconsistent on the line, there could be other areas that he could be poor in that would be worse.

2. Three Toe says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. ThomasJ says:

Making the first last night would have changed everything, let's not kid ourselves.

His FTA will definitely go up, especially late in the game.

I basically agree with Doc that the FT's weren't the issue last night. It was losing their composure, getting technicals and leaving Butler open (I think that was on Ray). Rondo was probably our best player last night (again) and made a nice drive to the hoop at the end. Sometimes people miss a jumper at the end and sometimes people miss FT's. Credit to Baron for making a great shot. Clips should also be thankful to the refs for the generous 1.5 that was put back on the clock after Rondo's drive. If it had been 1.2, after Jordan's rebounding it would have been 0.7 and Baron's shot would not have gotten off.

That said, Rondo has to improve the FT's b/c hack a Rondo could hurt us, could also literally get Rondo injured, and is super boring to watch.

5. Three Toe says:

good point JR.

I actually have insight that many of you may not have, (and any Clippers fans, feel free to verify). I was watching the game online on a totally 100% legal live-streaming website, but it was the clipper's broadcast. After the foul, I heard the clipper's announcers talking about how there should be 1.5 seconds left. They say "OK let's take another look at it" the broadcast then cuts to the replay" then a quiet voice (audible because he was near the announcer's mic, but quiet cause was was not right up to it) goes "how much time is left?" the announcer goes "yea, 1.5 seconds." then the first voice goes "ok, 1.5 seconds." Immediately after this the announcer goes "So it will be 1.5 seconds..."

So the refs got the time left on the clock from the clipper's announcers, which I thought was weird, but maybe that's home court advantage for you.

6. Three Toe says:

I should say that the refs usually look at the announcer's replay screen for this type of stuff, but in this case it sounded like the ref couldn't be bothered to watch it himself, and just took the guy's word for it.

7. Karl Dillinger says:

I wouldn't be surprised. That was a sick shot by Baron though. Game doesn't mean much at all in the grand scheme of things. I don't know how I'm going to stay up for the game tonight, so hopefully it is a blowout.

That's some super sleuth inside info 3toe. You should have written an article on that. Seriously.

I was wondering if Tim Donaghy had called in with the time left.