"I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I'm starting a petition, and I've got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."
This story came out last week following the Cavaliers win over the Heat. Lebron proclaimed that he would change his number from 23 to 6 out of respect for Michael Jordan. For the most part people seem to think that it was a commendable move by James. However, if you read between the lines, or words in this case, a different message appears.

Lebron personifies today's "look at me" athlete. Sure he is an amazing player and could go down as the greatest ever someday. But he still has an arrogance about him that players like Dwade and even Kobe don't have. The last line where he says,  " if I can't wear number 23 than nobody else can" really personifies this cockiness. Look, players don't only wear 23 because of Jordan, and the ones that do, wear it out of respect for him. The fact that Lebron thinks that because he is changing his number everyone else should follow suit is pure narcissism.

First off, Lebron is nowhere near as great as Jordan was, at least at this point in his career. With the rules the way they are today, Jordan would've averaged about 45 points per game. Though Jordan made some questionable decisions off the court, he was all business on the court and never put himself over his teammates. Also, don't talk to me about supporting cast. Jordan had Bill Wennington and Luc Longley as his starting centers for most of his career.

Lebron needs to realize that you can't truly be " The King" until you've actually won something. Maybe when he wins a championship or two he can start telling the NBA what numbers to retire, but even then he will never be bigger than the sport. I feel like it is a little too much of a coincidence that he said all this right after he asserted that he no longer was talking about his plans for the 2010 off-season. Maybe he has a little Brett Favre in him.

This story, along with Shaq's reported affair with Gilbert Arenas's fiance (column to come tomorrow), makes me despise the Cavs even more. Lebron is a great player, but he needs to realize the world doesn't revolve around him.

Karl Dillinger 11/17/2009 04:43:00 PM Edit

I obviously dislike James a lot, but I don't think he's anywhere near as obnoxious as Kobe. Dwade is in a league all by himself regarding class- the guy's just a classy individual. I love that he's not ostentatious either.

But as for Bean Bryant- I mean the guy's been accused of rape, on camera bitched about Bynum not being traded amongst many other jackass moves- plus there's that jersey he wears lol...

2. Karl Dillinger says:

Ya, but Kobe has 4 rings. I dislike Kobe more overall but in terms of cockiness Lebron takes the cake.

Well said, about Lebron James. I also really dislike Kobe Bryant. They are both so full of themselves!

Lebron has always had this sense of entitlement about him. I remember watching him on ESPN as a HS senior (He looked 25 yrs old) and was blown away by the cockiness. Supposedly him and his entourage are extremely high maintenance. The Cavs have bent over backwards to accommodate their every whim, but it's never enough.

I'm surprised he didn't say that #23 should be retired for Jordan and Lebron.

Looking forward to your Gilbert/Shaq piece Karl. Good stuff as always.

Kobe is more arrogant!I think Lebron is crazy for asking everyone to do whats he is doing...and i Think Lebron is a better player then Jordan,,If they played one on one,,,he would over power Jordan,,and dunk on his ass

LeBron's not in the same league as Michael- no ifs ands or buts...

Dill I love ya but this article to me just shows how much you dislike Lebron. For one, EVERYONe gets dogged before they win it all, reporters used to say Peyton cant win the big game and now they say he cant lose it. Jordans stats are prob worse than Lebrons (in his first 6 years), Kobe was a lot more vocal before he raped some 6ft white girl and then he learned to keep outta the light, Lebron has not had anything dim his light, he is a model athlete who a lot of people look up to not because of bball but bc he grew up with out a father figure, moved around from poor to poorer to poorest areas of Akron, raising 2 kids, and handling all the pressure that has been put on him..you gotta respect that.
    Now to respond to your article topic, I think he is taking the position as one of the best players in the game today to show his respect to MJ. I dont think it is right because there are a lot of players you could make this arguemnt for but I think what Lebron was trying to say was...because jerry west has the emblem I think MJ should have something as well, and his number is one of the only things you can really do to effect the game. PS we really need to do a sports show cause I can go on and on on all your posts and I feel this is too long of a post but like lebron im just trying to get my point across

8. ThomasJ says:

Neuther LeBron or Kobe are at Jordan's level as a basketball player. Karl, you are so right that if Jordan played with todays rules he definitely would have averaged 40+ in multiple seasons. The D the Knicks and Pistons played against him would never be permitted against Kobe and Bron these days. And just because it never gets old for all you knuckleheads that want to compare Kobe to MJ, I point to game 6 of the 2008 finals as Boston routed LA and Kobe simply quit. Jordan NEVER would have quit like that. We all watched it, yet so many Kobe worshipping writers like Adande have a selective memory.