In this week's session of "What the Hell Happened to" we look back on the career of former Celtic Mark Acres.

Acres is from California originally and grew up a Laker fan.  He went to Palo Verdes High School  where he was named to the McDonalds All American Game.  Despite the honor, he would follow his father and attend Oral Roberts.  4 years at Oral Roberts and Acres would make 4 All American Teams.  He'd lead Oral Roberts to the NCAA Tournament during his junior season.

He was drafted in the second round by the Mavericks before playing in Belgium for his first 2 seasons to build up his game to be NBA-ready.  Back then when players did this, they became free agents and when the Mavs selected Tarpley in the 1986 draft, Acres was on his way.  At age 25  the 6'11 center joined the Celtics for the 1987-88 campaign and proceeded to play rather inconsistently for the Green for 2 seasons.  After 3 more seasons in Orlando, Acres rounded out his illustrious playing career with a cup of coffee with the Rockets and Bullets.

Here's an opposing scout's summary of Acres' game prior to the 1990 season with Orlando from The Complete Pro Basketball Handbook, by David Schulz and Zander Hollander:

Another testament to expansion, and this is a great country or what?...An inside type who can bang bodies if little else...Played for Dick Acres, his dad at Oral Roberts, where his brother Jeff was a teammate...Wasn't the answer to Boston's depth problems up front...Foul-prone...Overpaid at $300,000.

Today, I've found out that Mark Acres now teaches in middle school in California.  In fact here's a quote from one of his students Veon Lee:

I am a 8th grader from jh hull middle school right now, and he just made me do cardio without running today. He is very old, and no one at our school really know that he was a basketball player!

That's right people, Mark Acres teaches 6th grade and is the gym coach at JH Hull middle school.  Check it out: http://hulllevy.tusd.org/Staff/tabid/2246/Default.aspx.

Maybe Celts fans can email him asking why he couldn't help the 1988 Celts more.  Maybe if he had a pulse and could've given valuable minutes, Boston could've beaten Detroit that year.  Don't forget: the depth of the Pistons really gave the Celts problems that year.  Maybe if Acres was able to push himself like he seemed able to motivate Veon Lee, the Celts would be gunning for Banner 19 this year.

For a list of all the "What the Hell Happened To" Series please click here.

tb727 10/11/2009 04:13:00 PM Edit

Awesome article tb! It's really interesting and fun to find out about former players, in particular those from whom we haven't heard in longtime.

When I was a kid we had that game for PC called "Celtics vs Lakers and the NBA playoffs" and I always wonder what happened to guys like Kelvin Upshaw or Otis Birdsong...

By the way, Acres was in that game too :P

Hey I've taught 6th grade. Even when your not throwing out swears you still manage to offend someone. lol. No offense to my fellow teacher, but I think any team that is counting on Mark Acres to win a championship is in trouble. He was like Scal, but not as chubby or a red head, so fans didn't bond with him. And before someone reminds me how well Scal played last yr in the playoffs, remember the one year that we did win a championship, Scal was wearing sweaters on the bench.

Bohemian, Upshaw's been getting some serious consideration from me lol, we will see....

Actually JR I think it's fairly possible he was less-skilled than Scalabrine. Imagine that. He was like a poor man's Joe Kleine. Ouch...

6. ACF says:

"A crappy version of PP". LOL!

I'd love to see pieces on both Upshaw and Birdsong.

Hmm, let's see, Acres was a McDonalds All-American (in the same class as Jordan), was drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft, played several years in the NBA, and you create 'content' for an embarrassingly amateurish blog. Yes, I can definitely see why you'd be so critical of his past and present career. Good luck, douchebag. By the way, great showing by them Celts this year. Pathetic.

I didn't make up content you cocksucker. And this isn't an amateur blog. Why don't you read the other articles on here before making such an idiotic comment.

And why don't you identify yourself you piece of dog shit? Or are you Mark Acres?

I once ate at the same McDonalds as Michael Jordan. Yay I'm in his class!

I blame Otis Birdsong for this.

Does anyone else recall his first game in the Garden? It was a preseason game back in 1987. I swear during that game he looked like the next McHale. I've forgotten how many points he scored, but I remember thinking "Where the hell has this guy been hiding?" I was so pysched to see him play the next game. Of course, he couldn't throw it in the ocean in that next game or any other game after that. Talk about the game of your life. Though, to be fair, I do recall him having a good performance in Game 6 of the 1988 series against the Hawks. Boston had to win on the road to avoid elimination and I think Mark had something like 6 points and 6 rebounds.

Daing ur such haterS. Leave the man alone.

your a douche bag talk to me when you ever play one game in the nba, get a life man

if u ever were on the celtics or a mcdonalds all american tem u would have the right to say this but my guess is that your a terrible athlete that has no life so u should stop writing things like this before u embaress yourself

Mark Acres > Stacey King lmao

Fuck off douchebag

your fat and black tb77

17. The Real Mark Acres says:

Hey guys, just wanted to check in. I'm sorry I was such a god-awful pro. No reason to bash the author, he's doing his job. Sorry I couldn't do mine better in playing for the Celtics! I really wanted to win the title in 1988 but we couldn't get it done.

But now I excel as a teacher. My students love me and my life is fulfilled.

Mark Acres is one of the nicest people I have ever met and always took the time to get to know anyone who ever approached him. I was with him at a pizza place in so cal during his NBA career and a young boy (middle school) came to our table and asked if he was Mark Acres -Mark asked the boy to join us and spent the next 10 to 15 minutes asking the boy about his game, etc. and that boy left there with a smile from ear to ear!!!!! That is the mark Acres I know and am honored to call a friend. By the way he was also voted 6th Man of the Year for the Celtics!!!!!!

hey guys its tb727 here and i just wanted to tell u im gay and actually know nothing about basketball i just like to bash on other people cause people have always bashed on me

That's clever last anonymous. I got 2 things out of your post. One, you're a fag for not posting your name, and two, you're a loser for looking up Mark Acres at 4:02 AM. Fuck off.